• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:13 PM

FYI the F-250 SD with a FWC will not fit through a 8’ door opening. Camper and truck height is roughly 8-3” to the top of the roof vents. The truck bare will barely clear a 7’ standard door opening. Yep I checked before considering buying the new F-250. My F-150 and FWC  clears a 8’ opening with 1” to spare. Really like the looks of the F-250s 50-80k depending on the options. Guys tell me towing trailers with the 6.2 mileage 8-10 MPH. 

#12 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:17 AM

I'm starting to temper my mpg hopes for the 7.3. I wonder if, at best, it will be the same as the 6.2.

I was thinking 12 for the 7.3, loaded to max gvw and mostly highway vs 14ish for the 6.7. Say ~ 20% better with the diesel. I'm getting 13 now with the 6.4 so 14ish should be reasonable (?) for the newer diesel with my use.

But the 7.3 might be 10 or less. Ugh, that's gonna take some accepting. Would hate to get under 10. Seems near criminal. Yet I'm kinda done with the diesel as fuel prices have inverted here and I don't really want to do the def thing.

Fingers crossed for the 10 speed benefit...

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:06 AM

I'm starting to temper my mpg hopes for the 7.3. I wonder if, at best, it will be the same as the 6.2.

I was thinking 12 for the 7.3, loaded to max gvw and mostly highway vs 14ish for the 6.7. Say ~ 20% better with the diesel. I'm getting 13 now with the 6.4 so 14ish should be reasonable (?) for the newer diesel with my use.

But the 7.3 might be 10 or less. Ugh, that's gonna take some accepting. Would hate to get under 10. Seems near criminal. Yet I'm kinda done with the diesel as fuel prices have inverted here and I don't really want to do the def thing.

Fingers crossed for the 10 speed benefit...

David, I love my 2006 diesel.  Have you considered trying to find an older diesel with low km's?  

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:23 AM

^ I'm happy for you brother.

Me, I not be complaining. Been a grand vehicle. When the time does come, we be going forward, not back. -_-

#15 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

I asked a reputable dealer about the 7.3 / 10 speed MPH. He didn’t sound encouraged that it would be a mileage game changer. 

#16 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

7.3 gaser...10 speed...

I asked a reputable dealer about the 7.3 / 10 speed MPH. He didn’t sound encouraged that it would be a mileage game changer. 

Who could have guessed?

Probably designed to get you close to diesel torque numbers at miserable MPG, but, Ford hasn't released any numbers on the big gaser to date.

Edited by Advmoto18, 30 November 2019 - 11:54 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#17 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

While I don't expect shocking gas mileage out of the 7.3L I do expect better than the older V10's. the newer engine controls are drastically better at monitoring and controlling the fuel delivery. BUT you're going to burn gas to make power.

I don't see how anyone can make any MPG claims at this point unless they have one and are using it, there are so few on the road.

I have been sort of watching and I am not seeing any MPG reports yet, Being a commercial vehicle over a certain GVW there are not mandated reports (look at the window stickers in clear language it says so).

IMHO the reason to get a 7.3L is to have the horsepower and torque when you don't need the diesel. At $8000 difference plus the added headaches of recent diesels, its hard to justify the cost. 

I have heard many stories about Fleet operators wanting to get away from diesel engines for things like school buses, municipal trucks etc.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#18 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:41 PM

No doubt the Ford lineup of trucks are well engineered. My neighbor is a farm implement dealer and a ford guy. He replaces trucks regularly all sizes and motor types. He tells me the Ford F-250 with the 6.2/6 speed is among the most dependable trucks he has in his fleet. I don’t think buying any Ford truck based on ones needs is a wrong move. 

#19 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

2015 Ford Super Duty w/6.2 4wd 14-17 w/Hawk towing boat, highway mileage

#20 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:06 PM

^ That's pretty good. A few points lower for overall trip average and I'd be satisfied. Maybe the 6.2 is the way to go, IDK.

Although the 7.3 is avail in new light trucks, I'm seeing it most importantly as a replacement for the 6.8 in the med duty lines where buyers have moved somewhat away from diesel. The new engine should have improved fuel and emissions numbers as these are important to commercial users and new, higher standards are coming. Maybe not earth shattering differences but still a win for everyone I'd say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users