2020 Ford Superduty

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:55 PM

According to Ford the new 7.3 was developed primarily for their fleet customers. Simple 2 valve push rod motor, cost effective to maintain. They claim it will get as good or better mpg as the 6.2 since it won't have to works as hard. I do agree with Machinebuilder though, i will wait on real world results, not predicted figures for mpg specs.

#22 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:09 PM

Just an FYI...since this engine will be in 3/4 and larger vehicles the EPA will not be testing them for mileage so you will not be seeing any official numbers from them or Ford..unfortunately.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#23 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

For those waiting ...

First report I've come across. Take from it what you will. :)

https://www.thehullt...3110-post1.html

#24 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:25 PM

For those waiting ...

First report I've come across. Take from it what you will. :)

https://www.thehullt...3110-post1.html

He didn't buy it. He is keeping his 2016 diesel.

for a Brand new truck, for so few miles, likely flatter terrain (Greenville SC) and using a swag it looks like 14-17MPG empty.

This truck has 3.55 axles, I would not get that, I am thinking 3.73 or 4.30 is a better choice with the huge overdrive (0.85 - 0.63) in the tranny

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#25 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

The best I've gotten on my 2018 F250 with no load is just over 16mpg on a long trip being fairly easy on the gas.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#26 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:04 AM

With respect to those reports, I'd never expect best case mpg numbers for my use. But I note, 14 is better than my previous gas, a 351W, ever saw - except maybe downhill :) . And speaking of Windsor, to me the best thing about the new 7.3 is where it's made. And I say that today as Oshawa GM closes after being in operation since 1954...

Anyhoo back to the OP... build pricing is now up on the Canuck site.  For giggles, closest vehicle built to our current config is $68,989 CAD ('Net' incl delivery. No discounts or sales tax). Our 2010 was $58,279, ten plus years ago.

Using the Statistics Canada Consumer Price Index for historical inflation that old price calculates to equal $67,721 in today's dollars. So the 2020 pricing is <2% higher than the total CPI for inflation over that period.

That <2% would include: a more evolved vehicle, more power, more payload, more interior space, a 10 speed, rear locker and a few other small goodies. Not too bad I'd say. YMMV

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

With respect to those reports, I'd never expect best case mpg numbers for my use. But I note, 14 is better than my previous gas, a 351W, ever saw - except maybe downhill :) . And speaking of Windsor, to me the best thing about the new 7.3 is where it's made. And I say that today as Oshawa GM closes after being in operation since 1954...

Anyhoo back to the OP... build pricing is now up on the Canuck site.  For giggles, closest vehicle built to our current config is $68,989 CAD ('Net' incl delivery. No discounts or sales tax). Our 2010 was $58,279, ten plus years ago.

Using the Statistics Canada Consumer Price Index for historical inflation that old price calculates to equal $67,721 in today's dollars. So the 2020 pricing is <2% higher than the total CPI for inflation over that period.

That <2% would include: a more evolved vehicle, more power, more payload, more interior space, a 10 speed, rear locker and a few other small goodies. Not too bad I'd say. YMMV

well reasoned post, my friend.

#28 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:07 AM

Okay, my final redirect in this tread ...

Over on FTE a shop has posted a 7.3 dyno chart. May not be a diesel slayer but still looks promising to this lay person. Also mentions15mpg at 70 earlier in the thread. This on a truck with 4.30s and the tires and lift (?) of the Tremor Pkg.  But again, a short duration sample.

https://www.ford-tru...ml#post19016126

Slim pickings so far for the 7.3. Should be a lot more results in Jan ...

#29 DavidinPhx

DavidinPhx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:57 PM

Now that Ford's embargo is over, TFL Truck has posted a couple videos of 7.3 mileage tests. SCREW non-Tremor 4x4 with 3.55 towing and unloaded on their standard loop, and and 800 mile trip to Denver with the same configuration, but 4.30s. IIRC the 3.55 was around high 15 mpg empty and the 4.30 was about 1mpg less. You’d think the altitude gained going to Denver would have some impact?
Easily found on YouTube or TFL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users