2 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:50 PM

My brother bought an early-90's Sun-Lite Eagle on Ebay about 10 years ago.  It's a great camper for our trips into state and national forests.  It has an eight-foot floor and the floor plan on this one has an extra-big table.  That works well for us and our younger brother in bad weather and on those extra-long late-Fall evenings.

He was looking to update last summer and bought a NorthStar TC650.  But he didn't sell the Eagle right away as it had a roof problem and he was trying to decide whether to fix it or sell it as-is.

The roof problem is the typical one we see in wood-framed truck campers with Heco roof-lifting systems.  It often shows up in one or both of the rear corners.  Like this...

SunLiteRearZoomed.jpg

Note the deformed metal and the overly-large, cracked sealant.  Those bolts go into the rear torsion-bar mount.  It's mounted on plywood and if a roof leak compromises the wood, the torsion bar's torque causes the damage.

In any case, he surprised me with an email a few weeks ago titled "Sun-Lite Convertible"...

SunliteConvertibleSmall.jpg

And this morning he sent me more photos....

This one is a bit confusing but it's the same corner upside down and the damaged wood laid on top.  The white metal is a repair by the previous owner.  Note that it too is bent up.

SunlitePreviousRepairSmall.jpg

Repair work underway....

SunliteLookingBetterSmall.jpg

And this is how the roof turned out....

SunliteRepairedRoofSmall.jpg

I don't yet have a photo of the roof back on the camper but I understand it went back on with no issues and the camper is ready for its next trip. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:21 PM

Big fan on the diamond plate!  Looks tough-

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#3 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Nice repair on the old girl. Very professional job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users