Photo
- - - - -

So you like to go on really rough roads...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

I would say yes. IF you have experience driving conditions like that.
Other considerations would be the type of Tacoma. Do you have a full double cab and longer bed, which would give you a longer wheel base? That could make it more challenging clearance wise.

It’s the shorter wheelbase, due to shorter cab. Has the locking rear diff, etc. in newer trucks. My wife has been a good spotter but we ain’t got ten years!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#22 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:01 PM

I normally do not air down. When I do I rarely go below 35 psi (from 50 psi) and usually only go to 40 psi as I have found from experimenting that this is usually enough. It does help, but the philosophy of airing down radically came about in the days when the guiding idea for suspension was stiff everything, springs and shocks. These days much better and more supple springs & shocks are available. I firmly believe that the airing down mindset hasn't yet caught up with technology. An aired-down tire is much, much easier to cut and bruise. Add in wet and the situation gets a lot worse.

That said, were I heading over Saline Valley Rd. I would air down and take it slow. That road is too rough to drive fast in a heavy rig.

As to Steele Pass in a stock height vehicle, it's going to depend on the driver and the spotter. A poor combo of those can get an otherwise capable rig stuck and a good and experienced combo of those can easily get a stock truck up it. I would say that without a rear Traction Adding Diff of some sort that you probably shouldn't try it unless you have many years, a decade or more even, of driving similar vehicles in those conditions.

Sorry, but I disagree. There are numerous reasons to air down further than 35 psi that have nothing to do with stiff springs. Yes, airing down will certainly help the ride, but it also reduces stress on virtually every vehicle component, from shocks right up to that bolted-on camper. The longer footprint of an aired down tire increases both traction and flotation in soft substrate. And, finally, it reduces damage to the trail itself. Obviously the amount one reduces pressure must be matched to conditions—you don't go down to 20 psi in a garden of sharp rocks—but it is the single most effective way to enhance the vehicle's performance on trails.

#23 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

It’s the shorter wheelbase, due to shorter cab. Has the locking rear diff, etc. in newer trucks. My wife has been a good spotter but we ain’t got ten years!

Your setup sounds similar to mine rubberlegs, other than I might be getting a bit more lift due to the heavier duty springs and airbags, otherwise you should be fine. Just don't forget to turn on your rear diff lock if you are going up the steps! The only time I slipped around and had to take a second shot at it was because I forgot to lock the rear diff. Almost too many buttons and traction options in those Tacos!

It really is a fun route, Enjoy!

#24 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

I've only used the rear diff once in our Taco, other than fooling around testing it, right here in the Slate Range (blue dot): https://caltopo.com/m/L021

It was pucker-factor steep (for me), and I had my wife walk to the top to check it out. Slipping sideways, either right or left, was not an option. 

We also have the cruise mode stuff and have played with it a little on very rocky terrain which works ok. But haven't really absolutely needed it. It sure makes a lot of noise! But somehow it gets you through some nasty stuff relatively smoothly. There's another mode that I forget the name of, which we've never used other than testing.

JHanson, you said "you don't go down to 20 psi in a garden of sharp rocks", but I've read tires go over sharp stuff better at low pressures. Can you explain?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:12 AM

Jonathan, we've disagreed on that point in the past. I had no expectation of a change. :)

Rubberlegs, yeah that is a STEEP spot, isn't it? The analogy given to me is that a soft tire is like your hand cupping the points of the rocks. Hand your hand flat and see how much a grip you get on those rocks. The downside is that a low tire is much easier to cut than is a full tire. Judgement call there, how low is low enough?

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:29 AM

I recall a video of a test running very low pressure over a nail or sharp object. But I can't find it! Anyway it showed how a tire would kinda mold over the sharp object instead of get punctured. Let me know if any of y'all have seen it.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#27 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:49 AM

I've only used the rear diff once in our Taco, other than fooling around testing it, right here in the Slate Range (blue dot): https://caltopo.com/m/L021

It was pucker-factor steep (for me), and I had my wife walk to the top to check it out. Slipping sideways, either right or left, was not an option. 

We also have the cruise mode stuff and have played with it a little on very rocky terrain which works ok. But haven't really absolutely needed it. It sure makes a lot of noise! But somehow it gets you through some nasty stuff relatively smoothly. There's another mode that I forget the name of, which we've never used other than testing.

JHanson, you said "you don't go down to 20 psi in a garden of sharp rocks", but I've read tires go over sharp stuff better at low pressures. Can you explain?

Sure: It's a matter of balance. An aired-down tire exhibits better traction over rocks, as the tire literally molds itself around the rock, increasing the surface area in contact. However, the sidewall of any tire is less resistant to punctures or slices than the tread area, so the correct pressure is a judgement call. There's a perfect example of this balance here, if you have a couple of minutes to read it.

#28 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:50 AM

Jonathan, we've disagreed on that point in the past. I had no expectation of a change. :)

Rubberlegs, yeah that is a STEEP spot, isn't it? The analogy given to me is that a soft tire is like your hand cupping the points of the rocks. Hand your hand flat and see how much a grip you get on those rocks. The downside is that a low tire is much easier to cut than is a full tire. Judgement call there, how low is low enough?

And I agree completely with your statement here!

#29 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:06 PM

Wow Rubberlegs, I finally found that trail on Google Earth. Looks like a whole lotta not much out there. I've explored some mines just south of where you came out on the Valley Wells side, and of course the other side on the road to Goler Wash, but nothing in between, what enticed you to risk life and rig to explore that very remote spot?

/2

Edited by slash2, 20 November 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#30 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

We were following the William Lewis Manly story. 1849-50. Look it up, fascinating!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users