Photo
- - - - -

So you like to go on really rough roads...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

As far as securing stuff in the cab I decided to go with some cargo net I had from my former Jeep Wrangler.

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4611.JPG

I looped one strap around the back of the drivers and passengers seat base

IMG_4609.JPG

and then took a large carabiner and hooked it though the rear seat belt attachment on both sides

IMG_4614.JPG

The loose rear corner strap of the net is looped through the carabiner and attached somewhere inboard of the net with another carabiner to secure and tension it.    

This set up probably wouldn't keep everything totally secure in a full on roll over, my attachments probably aren't strong enough for that, but it's a starting point using stuff I already had laying around. The commercial cargo nets I listed earlier are probably a better bet.

Edited by slash2, 30 November 2019 - 06:11 PM.

#52 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

My Hi-Lift jack and shovel are attached to a trailer receiver mounted on the front of the vehicle.

gallery_8230_1374_62692.jpg

gallery_8230_1374_60724.jpg

gallery_8230_1374_98601.jpg

Edited by slash2, 30 November 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#53 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

Looking good slash.

Is that hammer for quick rock hounding  deployment ? (We tend to collect on our travels, hence the 1 ton :ph34r:)

#54 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Looking good slash.

Is that hammer for quick rock hounding  deployment ? (We tend to collect on our travels, hence the 1 ton :ph34r:)

Ha ha! Yeah, left in place from the last trip out. My wife teaches geology and paleontology so our trips are often centered around finding and if possible, collecting cool minerals and fossils.

Even more heavy things bouncing around that need to be secured!

#55 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:20 PM

Awesome !

Only amateurs here, with much to learn and so lucky to live where we do.

Bike's a beaut btw !

#56 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

Bike's a beaut btw !

Thanks klahanie! '68 BMW R60/2. Only 21K miles!

#57 Desert Tortoise

Desert Tortoise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationWatsonville, CA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

The fact that airing down helps tires to resist punctures from sharp rocks is news to me.
The couple of times I’ve really aired down I did get punctures, this is out in death Valley area and sharp rocks. I have worried about the sidewall bolting out exposing itself.
My single biggest concern out there is puncturing a tire

#58 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

It seems to depend on conditions.  A fully inflated tire has less "give".  Think of a fully aired up balloon versus one slightly deflated.  Depending on how sharp the object is, and the level of inflation of the balloon, you may have a diffent experience in what "pops" the balloon.  Aired up is not always right, neither is aired down.  I prefer aired down though for most conditions.

#59 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

Did you shim your camper yet? Makes a big difference if you put something between the camper outer wall and the wheel well to keep it from shifting and makes the turn buckles work less. It's only a small gap, but keeping it tight makes a huge difference. 

#60 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

Did you shim your camper yet? Makes a big difference if you put something between the camper outer wall and the wheel well to keep it from shifting and makes the turn buckles work less. It's only a small gap, but keeping it tight makes a huge difference. 

That's a very good point Dirt Rider! I have not shimmed between the wheel wells, however my factory (FWC) bed mounting plates do have angled brackets that keep the camper centered in the mounts and hence in the bed, but they do have about 3/8" play in them. I can see where keeping it firmly locked between the wheel wells would lessen the stress on the turn buckles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users