5 replies to this topic

#1 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:25 AM

My 3 way fridge on my 2000 FWC Eagle finally bit the dust. Well it died 4 years ago but I am just now getting around to removing it. I am trying to figure out how to patch the holes for the vents. I have patched other smaller holes from branches with fiberglass but not sure how to tackle these big ones. Also the top vent cut though a few of the rolled seams.

To further complicate things no RV dealer around here is interested in selling small pieces of siding.

Has anybody else patched the siding after taking the fridge out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#2 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:49 AM

In my Granby there were styrofoam sheets wrapped in mylar insulating material installed by FWC between the frig and the box panels. I cut them the sizes of the external vents and inserted them tightly in the two vents and caulked them from the outside before reinstalling the metal vent gaurds again.

bPNXhfdtj9Bc_CNjrVIQeIohyAD2CmoQnAUeul3W

Then on the inside I screwed a 3/4" x about 3 feet tall by about 2 feet wide piece of plywood which sealed and secured those exterior panels and styrofoam sheets. I then caulked around that plywood just to make sure all was completely sealed.

I then installed a Dometic topload CFX28 very efficient frig in that area with shelving space left over.

jHEbgVLXkZkYcLzWylX_y2zV2ay1XgPQ18eIdlGb

Edited by patrkbukly, 19 November 2019 - 12:51 AM.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:53 AM

You might consider a flat sheet of aluminum set in 3M tape on the inside. Caulk on the outside. Re-install the vent screens, the screws should also engage the aluminum sheet. Insulate the backside.

Edited by longhorn1, 19 November 2019 - 01:53 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was wanting to remove the vents (they are dinged up) but it does sound a lot easier and maybe cleaner to just seal up underneath them.

I then installed a Dometic topload CFX28 very efficient frig in that area with shelving space left over.

I am interested in your install but can't see the photos.

Edited by Kolockum, 19 November 2019 - 02:21 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:14 AM

Hummm, don't know why that would be.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was wanting to remove the vents (they are dinged up) but it does sound a lot easier and maybe cleaner to just seal up underneath them.

me neither.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eagle, FWC, patching, siding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users