33 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

I'm not surprised you've seen the MV-50s fail. Mine I had to disassemble, reinsert the screws that had fallen out and tighten up the rest. After that though its worked fine for quite a while now. I do agree though, better off biting the bullet and getting a good one. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

We use this one: TIREWELL 12V Tire Inflator-Heavy Duty Double Cylinders Direct Drive Metal Pump 150PSI, Compressor  which we picked up via amazon.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#13 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

I have been looking at on board air compressors also. One very important thing to look at is the CFM with a PSI load. The ratings normally drop significantly:

ARB CKMA12 is rated 3.8 CFM @ 0 PSI and 2.39 CFM @ 29 PSI (https://www.arb.com....ockers/6-07.pdf)

Viair 400P is rated at 2.3 CFM @ PSI and 1.86 CFM @ 30 PSI (https://www.viaircor.../portables/400p)

A lot of the cheaper pumps will have a good CFM rating at 0 PSI but get asthmatic once the pressure increases.

Here is a really good youtube video explaining that:

**Warning** presenter talks like bitter tug boat captain turned machinist. Those in the manufacturing industries will probably appreciate / can relate.

Edited by Kolockum, 19 November 2019 - 06:24 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#14 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

I recall reading Jonathan's comments/posts about compressors years ago.  

I followed his advice over 4 years ago, bit the bullet and paid big big coin for an Extreme Air Magnum 12V compressor.  It is $$$$, heavy, but a pleasure to use.  My Super Duty needs 65psi for tarmac/Interstate speeds.  Airing up 4 tires from 30 psi with a budget compressor would likely take half a day. 

I've used it about as much helping other folks air up as my own truck tires.

It is a very robust compressor that will undoubtedly last many, many years.

It does get quite hot so it needs to cool down before stowing it or placing it in a safe place if you desire to boogie down the trail right now.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

I think the more important rating is the duty cycle. If it can fill one tire with a great CFM (cubic feet per minute) but has a 20% duty cycle and has to cool down before filling another its much good. 100% duty cycle is what you want but it won't come cheap. 

I removed the safety on my quickair and surprisingly it hasn't melted down yet. Do this mod at your own risk, Not recommended.  

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

I've used my Viar 400P-RV to bring up the pressure on all 8 tires on my Super Duty and trailer after they both sat for a while.  No problem maintaining output.  Does get warm though, so I usually let it cool a bit before stowing it back in it's storage bag.  Of course, I've never tried taking 8, or 4 tires for that matter, up to 60 or 80 psi if they were all near flat.  Not concerned about that at it is a bit unrealistic in most all circumstances.

#17 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Our VIAIR 300P has worked well for our Tacoma tires, easily handles 20-62 psi for rear and 15-45 for front, and doesn't seem to get boiling hot. Plenty warm though. But I let it cool for a few minutes before putting back in the bag cuz I'm paranoid about melting the bag. Sometimes I pour a little water on the fins and let it evaporate. Evaporation: very efficient heat transfer! Hope I don't crack the metal though... hmmm. 

I think I picked the 300P because the hoses were a little longer. Reaches fine from the ground in front of the truck back to rear tires.

The one thing I wish I'd done differently is mount the compressor inside the engine compartment. Just one less thing floating around the cab or camper. Wonder if there's a standard mount, or if I bought the wrong unit. The Taco has a nice mounting area, not sure what that's for, but looks handy for this situation.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#18 Steve Seitel

Steve Seitel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:37 PM

For a portable, I like the Viair 450P which has 100% duty cycle. In fact, I liked mine so much I mounted it under the hood of my 4Runner. No problem airing up all four (stock size) tires.

I've just installed an ARB CKMA12 under the hood of my Ranger. Higher throughput but 50% duty cycle. Seems bulletproof, but not really a portable.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Steve

2019 Ford Ranger/Fleet shell. Under construction.

2013 Toyota 4Runner "Fargo." Daily Driver.

2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe "Taffy." SOLD

1999 Toyota 4Runner "Bone Stock" SOLD

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:59 AM

I've had one MV50 failure, the cold solder joint on the relay under the end cap failed. Wired around it for a field fix and removed it entirely for a permanent fix. Didn't really care about the switch and that was all that the relay did.

Scored an air suspension compressor and tank from the junkyard for the CTD. For the 4rnnr I bought a Puma to run it's OBA system and ARB's. I like it enough that I'll be putting one under the Blanc-Oh! in the near future. I split the compressor from the tank under the 4rnnr to make it fit easier and I suspect that I'll have to do so again under the Blanc-Oh. I still carry the MV50 in the 4rnnr and the CTD as a back-up, but I doubt that I'll need either.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W1TNO6U/

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

Here's a link to a good article on Expedition Portal on this topic....

The Overland Journal Air Compressor Test  (you may need to be signed on to ExPo to see it)

I have a couple of those-- Viair 88Ps in my Tundras and a Smittybilt 2871 in my van. 

I bought the Smittybilt in the Spring of 2016 and felt the $150 I paid for it was my limit.  I thought that would be the one I'd use on my trips.

In the Summer of 2017 I saw 88Ps on sale for $48 (each) and spent quite a bit of time reading specs on the various models on the Viair Portables web page.  In the end, the 88P seemed to be the best mix of specs for the price I was willing to pay for a 'nice-to-have' item.  I bought two of them and put them in my Tundras.

When it came time for the next trip in the Tundra/Hawk rig, I decided I didn't need to swap in the larger and heavier Smittybilt.  I have the 88P in a mechanics tool bag  and it fits nicely under the bottom of the folded-up rear seat-back of my Tundra double-cab.  The Smittybilt doesn't store so easily and I figured my compressor needs are really so modest that the 88P should be sufficient.  I run stock-size tires and I don't need to air-up often or quickly.  And by that time I had used my 88Ps several times and they seemed to do the job well.  But then again I'm only airing up from about 30 PSI to 45-50 PSI. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users