• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:36 AM

I'm glad somebody mentioned Puma (Thom).  I have had one mounted in the 4 Runner since 2009 and has worked flawlessly.  100% duty cycle. Divorced the motor/compressor from the tank. Even ran a 3/8 impact to take off lug nuts on wife's car, tank is small so runs out of air after 4 nuts.

I like it so much I bought a second one for the Dodge Ram with 60/70 psi tires.  It has no problem airing those back up from 35 to 70 psi.

It would be good to have a look if you don't mind spending a little more money.  Bought from Buzzard Gulch they also have a E-Bay store.  There are two pictured, try to get the one without the nose snout, which is a air cleaner that sticks out.  The other one is flush air cleaner.  I believe all the ones sold is the flush air cleaner but check with them.

https://www.ebay.com...=item593ad2b777

http://www.buzzardgu...ance&order=DESC

Edited by pvstoy, 21 November 2019 - 01:41 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:44 AM

46 amps?  I had a tank in my Jeep, bigger than that one. I removed it. Empties so fast as to not be worth it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

It is a big compressor, claim varies on seller between it being a 1 HP motor and a 3/4 HP motor. So yes, it pulls some current and is not really suited to being portable. Much better when used as a vehicle mounted OBA source.

I too had to divorce the compressor from the tank to get it to fit under an '88 4rnnr. Tank is above the spare, compressor on a bracket on the frame next to the muffler (with heat shielding). I wanted the external intake air filter so that I could remote mount it out of the debris spray. Big capped-off fitting is where the air filter hose now attaches to.

i-sjqt6hT-XL.jpg

In the background can see the gigavac contactor for the compressor, the ARB solenoid repurposed to be the blow-off valve so the compressor doesn't start dead-headed (original switch had this feature, but I couldn't make it fit). Also note the spacers that space down the spare 5/8" to create room for the tank to sit on top of the spars and the high tech strap clamps holding the tank to the spars.

i-cFQqNPR-L.jpg

I've been messing around with this as OBA for the Bronc-up for a long time. Probably should finish it and try to get it qualified. It could pull as much as 200A when running, but I doubt that it will.

i-KRth4dC-M.jpg

Thom

Where does that road go?

#24 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:48 AM

I've been running the large Smittybuilt compressor for a while now.  I've hard mounted it under the hood of my K5 and set it up as an OBA system with a 3 gallon tank under the core support.  

25529346228_480e292eea_b.jpg

I've got it set up on a switch in the cab with a relay working with a pressure switch at the tank to shut the compressor off at 120psi and kick back on when it drops below 90psi.  You can also see the gauge I added inside to see where the tank is sitting at. 

40582797682_af2b4bdd93_b.jpg

Compared to an ARB twin, it's not nearly as fast.  I will say this, despite the slower speed it's always done the job.  If I fill the tank a half hour or so before we stop to air up, the compressor has a chance to cool and I can usually get the first tire up to 35-40 psi from 18-20psi in a few minutes.  I'm running 35" tires also.  I'll let the tank volume recover before moving on to the next tire.  Typically it will take about 20 minutes to fill all 4.   

#25 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

Good point Rob. It takes about the same amount of time for my Viair, although my highway pressures are typically greater. I use those minutes to check out the truck after coming off what is usually washboard. It’s a good time to debrief and plan for the next phase if traveling with a group. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

A little late to this discussion but I have this Klutch portable compressor and have been very happy with it. I inflate my truck tires up to 80 psi without any issues. The only thing I have done is to replace the battery wire with a larger gauge wire and make it about 10 feet longer so I can air up my trailer tires if needed.

Another point is that I believe a portable unit, that is not permanently mounted in your truck, is a better option in case someone else needs to use it and you can’t get close enough..

https://www.northern...72535_200672535

you can often find these on sale also.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:49 AM

A little late to this discussion but I have this Klutch portable compressor and have been very happy with it. I inflate my truck tires up to 80 psi without any issues. The only thing I have done is to replace the battery wire with a larger gauge wire and make it about 10 feet longer so I can air up my trailer tires if needed.

Another point is that I believe a portable unit, that is not permanently mounted in your truck, is a better option in case someone else needs to use it and you can’t get close enough..

https://www.northern...72535_200672535

you can often find these on sale also.

wow, thanks for this link.  That Klutch compressor is a beast compared to the Viar 450p.  According to both manufacturers:

At 40 PSI, the Klutch puts out 3.35 CFM, the 450p only 1.39 CFM

At 90 PSI, the Klutch puts out 1.94 CFM, the 450p only 0.97 CFM.

Granted the 450p is a 100% duty cycle unit, the Klutch only 40% or so.  But with CFM's like those, I doubt most of us would run into an issue on the duty cycle.  

#28 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

wow, thanks for this link.  That Klutch compressor is a beast compared to the Viar 450p.  According to both manufacturers:

At 40 PSI, the Klutch puts out 3.35 CFM, the 450p only 1.39 CFM

At 90 PSI, the Klutch puts out 1.94 CFM, the 450p only 0.97 CFM.

Granted the 450p is a 100% duty cycle unit, the Klutch only 40% or so.  But with CFM's like those, I doubt most of us would run into an issue on the duty cycle.  

Exactly.

I’m running 295/65R20’s on my F-350 and the compressor can inflate all 4 tires from about 30 to 65/75 psi without shutting off.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#29 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

Do any of the larger automakers offer a camshaft driven air compressor???

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Back in the day you could pull a spark plug, screw in an adapter, and use one engine cylinder to fill your tires. Not recommended with a late model.

I did not time it, but the Puma in the 4rnnr brought it's 31's back up to 30psi from ~20psi AND a pair of 35's back up to ~30 psi (no idea what they started at) in I'd guess under a 1/2 hour. It was only slightly slower at filling a 35 than was the Sanden A/C compressor used by the guy filling up the other two 35's.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users