Photo
- - - - -

Get camera + wires out of SuperDuty tailgate? (Camera Source fix is $496)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

web-hallmark-rear--nice-pic.jpg

Hi all

So my main question is - how difficult is it to fish the stock Ford SuperDuty tailgate reverse camera + camera wires out of the actual tailgate? 

(that has the tailgate ladder in it)

I am assuming the 2020 would be similar to the 2019. 

Google did not provide any info so far.

The story:

About to get our brand new, custom ordered 2020 SuperDuty F350, and then get our Hallmark pop up truck camper. The pop up truck camper will *always* be in the truck, and we have no need to ever use the truck as an actual pickup truck. 

The tailgate will always be stored by us. It will never get used. I know I simply unplug the harnesses under the truck when removing the tailgate.

The truck has 360 view, so not just any camera will do, according to Camera Source (only a very few of their cameras are compatible with 360 view camera system, as per their website) 

In terms of a rear view camera to be mounted on the rear bumper of the Hallmark pop up truck camper - - -  we have two choices. 

#1 - I could fish the camera out of the tailgate. I am told it is quite difficult, especially as our tailgate will have the built in ladder….. 

#2 I pay almost $500 USD including shipping to me (ouch!) to get the specific Camera Source. I’ll paste the info they emailed me:

“We have a kit that plugs to the single coax and the back under the bumper and comes up automatically in reverse. Here is the link to CS-FTRSK-17SDRC”

https://camera-sourc...a-included.html

The third option is that I get the $200 Camera Source option, but that is not automatic… every time I use it I’d have to hit the AUX button, and that is a pain. :-( 

I dont want to have to do that. I’ll quote the email they send me:

“…. However, it will not come on automatically in reverse. We have a mini universal camera that would connect to the AUX connector up under the spare tire.  ….. When in reverse, push the AUX button to view this camera feed. Here is the link to CS-FTRSKLP-17SD-TRL”

https://camera-sourc...railer-cam.html

So to repeat my main question - how difficult is it to fish the stock Ford SuperDuty tailgate reverse camera + camera wires out of the actual tailgate? 

Pic of some random Hallmark attached. I think the camera will end up on the rear side of the Hallmark's rear bumper.... attached just to the right of the ladder - and the ladder is removed when underway. 

Thanks!

J. 

#2 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:17 AM

I purchased a camera and wire harness from a friend who works at our local Ford dealer. I believe both items were 225.00. Then made a bracket to hold camera, mounted in lower rear bed panel, plugged it in. It took the most time to design and build the bracket from a block of plastic. It's all factory except  the bracket and stainless screws.20160423_180456.jpg

Edited by fish more, 20 November 2019 - 04:31 AM.

#3 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:23 PM

attachicon.gifweb-hallmark-rear--nice-pic.jpg

Hi all

So my main question is - how difficult is it to fish the stock Ford SuperDuty tailgate reverse camera + camera wires out of the actual tailgate? 

Google did not provide any info so far.

The story:

About to get our brand new, custom ordered 2020 SuperDuty F350, and then get our Hallmark pop up truck camper. The pop up truck camper will *always* be in the truck, and we have no need to ever use the truck as an actual pickup truck. 

The tailgate will always be stored by us. It will never get used. I know I simply unplug the harnesses under the truck when removing the tailgate.

The truck has 360 view, so not just any camera will do, according to Camera Source (only a very few of their cameras are compatible with 360 view camera system, as per their website) 

In terms of a rear view camera to be mounted on the rear bumper of the Hallmark pop up truck camper - - -  we have two choices. 

#1 - I could fish the camera out of the tailgate. I am told it is quite difficult, especially as our tailgate will have the built in ladder….. 

#2 I pay almost $500 USD including shipping to me (ouch!) to get the specific Camera Source. I’ll paste the info they emailed me:

“We have a kit that plugs to the single coax and the back under the bumper and comes up automatically in reverse. Here is the link to CS-FTRSK-17SDRC”

https://camera-sourc...a-included.html

The third option is that I get the $200 Camera Source option, but that is not automatic… every time I use it I’d have to hit the AUX button, and that is a pain. :-( 

I dont want to have to do that. I’ll quote the email they send me:

“…. However, it will not come on automatically in reverse. We have a mini universal camera that would connect to the AUX connector up under the spare tire.  ….. When in reverse, push the AUX button to view this camera feed. Here is the link to CS-FTRSKLP-17SD-TRL”

https://camera-sourc...railer-cam.html

So to repeat my main question - how difficult is it to fish the stock Ford SuperDuty tailgate reverse camera + camera wires out of the actual tailgate? 

Pic of some random Hallmark attached. I think the camera will end up on the rear side of the Hallmark's rear bumper.... attached just to the right of the ladder - and the ladder is removed when underway. 

Thanks!

J. 

Ford has a camera kit for a pickup bed delete. I know its in the body builders guide.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#4 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

Ford has a camera kit for a pickup bed delete. I know its in the body builders guide.

Super helpful - thanks. :-)

I wonder if it is "360 camera compatible" ?

I am trying to find out if the tailgate cameras are physically different between stock backup camera and 360 camera backup cam. 

anyone happen to have a part # handy? that would help me narrow it down. :-)

thanks! 

J

#5 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

Update: I *think* I will likely go with this new solution below….  to be determined.

New info that I just learned today is below.

So i think I will buy a new, OEM Ford tailgate camera from Ford - identical to what is in my forthcoming F350 SuperDuty. (just the camera alone)

¿ Anyone have any rough idea what the camera alone may cost? 

Ford can’t price it without the VIN of my forthcoming vehicle, as they need the VIN to ensure I get the exact correct part.

and

Camera Source can sell me a 14 foot harness for $99  - This plugs directly into the Ford OEM camera and also plugs into the connector under the bumper.

My RV manufacturer will make a small metal box, put this camera in it, and mount that on the rear bumper of the camper, for no extra charge (as Hallmark is awesome)

This solution has the advantages of: being the exact same camera as Ford uses…. so zero compatibility issues, and it should look good…. and also hopefully cheaper than the $459 plug and play option Camera Source offers. 

Also I get to leave the stock camera in the tailgate… and at some point down the road I will be very happy to have not ripped the original camera out of the tailgate.  :-)

and… Anyone have a lead on buying legit OEM parts from Ford, at a good price? 

(so i can get the camera from them)

or should i just take my chances and walk into my local Ford dealership?

Thanks!

J. 

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

I got a camera from a damaged tailgate in local Pick n Pull. Then just plugged it into the harness where tailgate harness goes. Easy fix after making a makeshift mount for the camera right under the Hawks door.

#7 joeclimber

joeclimber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver BC

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:12 AM

Update: I *think* I will likely go with this new solution below….  to be determined.

New info that I just learned today is below.

So i think I will buy a new, OEM Ford tailgate camera from Ford - identical to what is in my forthcoming F350 SuperDuty. (just the camera alone)

¿ Anyone have any rough idea what the camera alone may cost? 

Ford can’t price it without the VIN of my forthcoming vehicle, as they need the VIN to ensure I get the exact correct part.

and

Camera Source can sell me a 14 foot harness for $99  - This plugs directly into the Ford OEM camera and also plugs into the connector under the bumper.

My RV manufacturer will make a small metal box, put this camera in it, and mount that on the rear bumper of the camper, for no extra charge (as Hallmark is awesome)

This solution has the advantages of: being the exact same camera as Ford uses…. so zero compatibility issues, and it should look good…. and also hopefully cheaper than the $459 plug and play option Camera Source offers. 

Also I get to leave the stock camera in the tailgate… and at some point down the road I will be very happy to have not ripped the original camera out of the tailgate.  :-)

and… Anyone have a lead on buying legit OEM parts from Ford, at a good price? 

(so i can get the camera from them)

or should i just take my chances and walk into my local Ford dealership?

Thanks!

J. 

Did you get the camera relocation to work with the 360 camera system? 

2018 Fleet shell on 2004 Dakota 4x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users