21 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:14 AM

High heels and a fur coat on the trail?  I have to admit I’ve seen a few crazy things in Nevada, but that’s one that has eluded me.

Thanks for another wonderful trip report.  We were just talking about an early return to one of our favorite desert parks.

Yup, high heels and fur, a bit out of place.

So far your trip reports are the only good thing from the PGE blackouts. 

Thanks Bill! We were ready for the shutoff this morning but it never came. We live in the light still! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:21 AM

Super TR to a place we need to get back and visit again.

We were also driven out by the PSPS (blunt folks add an 'is' between each of the PS)

And .... another PSPS is forecast again tomorrow, which is hard on local businesses, government, and daily life.

Love the ram shots, Ski!  

Thanks Lighthawk! We were ready for the shutoff this morning. The hardware store and Napa Auto in town both bought generators so they could remain operating. All the local schools were close. We were notified at 1230 there would be not a power shutoff.

The bighorn are fun to watch and photograph at Valley of Fire. :)

Beautiful report!

I have to say that before I found this site which subsequently led me to our first desert trip that I had no idea how beautiful the desert truly is.

Almost makes me want to move out West...

The West sure has a multitude of special and unique places and the desert always surprises with its beauty and diversity. Thanks for the nice comment! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:25 AM

Great way to handle the blackouts. Fun to see the amazing rocks and the bighorn sheep. Thanks for your report!

We try our best, takesiteasy. Might as well get out of here. We'll take a sky above us filled with stars over a blank television screen any day. Thanks for the nice comment! :)

Thanks for the report!  Always a pleasure to be reminded of how many special places are out there.

Thanks for your kind comment! :)

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:27 AM

Beautiful area. Not a bad way to spend time in a blackout :)

Thanks Craig!

Gorgeous sandstone layers... I have seen high heels on a hiking trail in Banff NP.  I've also seen shoes duct taped to hold them together on the same trail.   Hiking seems to attract lots of different kinds of folks.  It's all good... hiking is great for the soul, no matter the sole.  :rolleyes:

Nice comment Vic! Thank you. :)

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:29 AM

Another great trip.

Nice to see you were guarded by the "rock warrior".

Nice story about the mob body drop.

Thanks for taking us along .

Frank

Thank you Frank! Unfortunately bad things do happen out there.

#16 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:47 AM

Once again, your trip reports get me even more antsy to find another desert spot. Have briefly toured VOF this spring but know i need to get back there. Maybe this Jan/Feb when i head to that area for a race.

Funny you mentioned aliens, had a strange what if thought while camping there this past march. Figured that if they  could get all the way to where i was camping they had better things to do then to mess with a middle aged human and old dog.

Thanks for the report.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#17 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:30 AM

Loved being reminded about this, somewhat lesser known, interesting area. I’ve visited from Vegas during a Cirque du Soleil week. Yeah, The Professionals is definitely a top 5 western. Big time, Old school, film stars during their prime. Also seeing where Kirk, during his last adventure in the “Final Frontier”, teamed up with Picard. Thanks, I’ll put it on the list to see it anew with the FWC.

#18 Elken

Elken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

Nice trip report as always, beautiful rocks!  Hopefully you took what perishables you could out of the fridge for the trip...  It must be frustrating to have to dump spoiled food and restock multiple times. 

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

Assuming the PGE power outages will continue for the next few years, it may be cost effective to purchase a larger used three way fridge and install it at home. Using the three way to store the perishables may pay for itself over time. Just a thought.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

We'll take a sky above us filled with stars over a blank television screen any day. Thanks for the nice comment! :)

Something tells me you adventurous kids will take a sky filled with stars over an OPERATING television screen any day!

More very nice rock photos (cross-bedding, angular unconformity, etc) and more fine narrative which makes the less fit and deskbound (like me) admire what it took for you to be in position to pick up and go as you do.  Good on Ya Both!

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users