36 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:20 AM

who uses Fog lights?  / Hella 500  / OEM connector->F350

Hi all

So I am curious to know how often do people use Fog lights?

I live in the midwest now (just moved here) and if I was camping, and the fog was really bad… I would wait it out. 

I am likely going to get an aftermarket front bumper for our forthcoming new F350, so I would lose the stock Ford fog lights. 

If I really should have fog lights…… (?)

For $105 Aluminess will mount a pair of Hella 500 fog lights in the bumper
“ They shoot a short, wide beam that is perfect for cutting through fog.”
and have wire coming off them. Understandably they will not hook them up to my truck. 

(I want to leave the stock bumper intact, and not cannibalize the OEM Fog light wiring harness on it, so I can easily put the stock Ford bumper back down the road, if need be)

I’d need to ideally find the correct female (?) connector to connect to the bare wires coming from each Hella 500 so I could plug them in, in place of the OEM stock Ford fog lights. 

Anyone know the actual connector Ford uses? 

Either that or I could buy an OEM wiring harness and splice the Hella 500 wires into it. 
i THINK (but not sure if) it is Ford Part # HC3Z-15K867-B  (about $30-$40-ish.)
Not sure this is the correct Ford Superduty 2019 fog light harness…. I think i may have been told the wrong part #

Thoughts? Advice? thanks!

Here is the bumper I will likely get:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

you can probably get what you need here

http://www.myhellali...a-500-fog-lamp/

#3 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

Look at what SDHQ offers.

I got a set of Baja designs wide cornering lights. They had a mount and wiring adapter to plug and play in my F-150.

Really awesome lights, they light up the ditches and around the curves here in East TN. I’ve only had one person comment about how bright they are, no one has high beamed me

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#4 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

I use fog lights quite often. I live in the mountains and drive through fog or cloud deck in spring and fall...let alone they help with snow too.
I always have fog lights on cars and trucks.
Low height wide spread works best. Best to wire with the stock harness because then they will work properly and when high beams come on fogs go off...(that's the law in many states I believe)

Edited by knoxswift, 28 November 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

They don't cut through the kind of fog we get here. Best you can hope for is lighting underneath the fog. They do help people see you coming better. I find them most useful in rainy conditions, kind of takes the blackness off the road. Offroad they do act as ditch lights. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

I have them, but I don't think I'd miss them if they were gone.  They don't help with the "tule fog" we have in N. California.  If they were (much) brighter pointed outward a little more they would work as cornering lights.  I have used them at night in a campground to prevent shining my headlights into everyone's camp. 

#7 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

When I retrofitted new headlight into my 40 yr old ones I went with Hella extreme yellow H4 bulbs. Living in the rainy Pacific Northwest I find they make a good difference. 

Another good source of bulbs/lights is https://www.rallylights.com/

#8 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:35 PM

I never thought they did much good. I have them on 3 vehicles and never use them.

CWDT

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

I never thought they did much good. I have them on 3 vehicles and never use them.

I find most "modern" cars don't let you turn off enough of the other lights to make them super useful.  If you can, wire up your lights so that when the fogs are on, ALL of your other front facing lights are off... otherwise the glare from DRL or low-beams make the fogs less useful.

/rant on

The stock "fog lights" on most vehicles aren't really fog lights... more like extra annoying un-focused scattershot lights... 

/rant off

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:01 PM

/rant on

The stock "fog lights" on most vehicles aren't really fog lights... more like extra annoying un-focused scattershot lights... 

/rant off

^ why I try my best not to drive at night. Winter commute is bad enough with everyone and his dog running fogs 24/7 in addition to their new vehicle or retro fitted super brites. ugh.

LA, for the 100 bucks I'd prob get them. You only have to really need them once and they'd be worth it. One gotcha with your plug and play idea might be that the oem fogs are a much lower wattage and the wiring, harness and/or ECM (or which ever electronic brain) might not like the upsize.

Also, the for very specific Ford questions, like part nums, you might want to also check with fordtruckenthusiasts. Lots of folks on there with newer SD trucks and the $ to mod them.

EDIT to add a bit

Edited by klahanie, 28 November 2019 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users