36 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Horrible headlights on my Dodge but I've no choice but to live with it. I haven't seen an aftermarket product (lots of em out there) that I'd be willing to use. In Nevada I've been able to use my aux lights for hours but not so much in CA. 

There is a school of thought that you shouldn't light the foreground (fogs or low beams) when using high beams as it takes your attention off looking down the road. Not sure where I stand on that.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

Quick look says LED fogs if the head lamps are LED. So I'd  prob want to confirm oe wiring and line protection is ok with the draw from the 110Watts possible replacements. Never know where the mfr might choose to save a few cents.

Or, as mentioned, cake to hook up to an upfitter switch .

Agree with Aux Light designation, only thing is, 'round here law says they must be covered while on a public highway. And, was told by a LEO, "no, clear rock shields are not a cover". But, I've found they handy help level the playing field <_< 

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:09 AM

Horrible headlights on my Dodge but I've no choice but to live with it. I haven't seen an aftermarket product (lots of em out there) that I'd be willing to use. In Nevada I've been able to use my aux lights for hours but not so much in CA. 

There is a school of thought that you shouldn't light the foreground (fogs or low beams) when using high beams as it takes your attention off looking down the road. Not sure where I stand on that.

Check out LIghtwerkz.  https://www.lightwerkz.net/

I've had their HID projector replacements in three cars, and love them.  NOT just HID bulbs into a halogen projector which just scatters light everywhere... true replacements.  They cut (or you do it) open your headlights and fit new projectors in there.  NOT cheap, but they work great.

#24 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the great info. :-)

Perhaps I will take the stock OEM fog lights out of the stock OEM bumper and somehow mount them into the Aluminess bumper. Solves a bunch of problems... except I have NO idea how I would physically mount the Ford fog lights into the Aluminess. I'm no metal fabricator, by any means. Hmmmmmm

also dont know if there would be enough wire slack to do it easily. (dont know where the new light position would be, relative to stock)

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:38 AM

Check out LIghtwerkz.  https://www.lightwerkz.net/

I've had their HID projector replacements in three cars, and love them.  NOT just HID bulbs into a halogen projector which just scatters light everywhere... true replacements.  They cut (or you do it) open your headlights and fit new projectors in there.  NOT cheap, but they work great.

I emailed them once and they never got back to me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

On my 2005 F250 I replaced the factory fog light bulbs with PIAA ion yellow bulbs and they work great, especially in fog and snow.  I highly recommend the yellow bulbs for inclement weather.  They also really light up the sides of the road-great for country two lane driving. 

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

I emailed them once and they never got back to me.

that sucks... I found them responsive and very flexible.  Maybe because I had something in the shopping cart and was asking clarifying questions?  They are good on the phone too.  BTW, I have no connection to them other than being a repeat customer.

#28 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

Are you serious about this??  ''There is a common misconception that fog lights are for seeing better in fog.  They are not.  Fog lights are so other people see you.''

Yes, I'm serious.  Fog lights allow people to see you.  That being said, mounting fog lights, or any other pattern for a specific purpose can be a great thing.  That's why I have both Hella 500 and 700 mounted just above bumper height.  They do different things, but one of the things they definitely don't do, is help me see better in the fog.

#29 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:33 AM

Adventurer

have a look here.

http://www.danielste.../fog_lamps.html

#30 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:18 AM

Almost everything in that linked article supports what I said.

I'll add this. Do OE fog lights help while driving? I think most agree, minimally and in very limited circumstances. Essentially "No".

Are they annoying to other drivers? Yes.

They are annoying to other drivers because they are "in your face" figuratively and literally.

As an oncoming driver you can see them, but they dont help the driver of the car.

Edited by Adventurer, 01 December 2019 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users