4 replies to this topic

#1 surfskiav

surfskiav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:16 PM

Hello all!

I own a Finch camper on a Toyota Tacoma, and just recently I began noticing the top of the tent section has a hard time closing all the way on the same side as the awning. The section closes, but there is a slight bend in the middle above the awning. This only happens on that side, as there are adequate latches on all three other sides. There are no leaks or problems, it just looks kinda funny. I've tried backing out all latches and setting the screw nut to the same distance, but hasn't fixed the bend. Any recommendations, or has anyone experienced this? Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• campertop1.jpg
  • campertop2.jpg

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

Check with FWC, but I believe a slight upward bow in the middle is a normal roof build.  It’s worth a call to find out.

The tension set on the roof clamps for an ATC is the clip should not wiggle when latched, unless you pull the roof down slightly.  I’m assuming FWC would be the same.

I am haunted by waters

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:49 PM

The longitudinal arch on our Granby has increased over the years. Some I attribute to attempting to lift the roof with a latch or two still on but I think there is some additional cause. I didn't like it so purchased a pair of matching latches from ATC and added a centre one on each side for a total of 3 each side and 2 across the front. I thought they  might also help secure the roof when carrying weight on the roof rack.

Doesn't look like you'd be able to do the same and that your latch configuration is different which might not be holding the roof down evenly, IDK. But latches can be added if you have or can make the space for them.

Looking at your rack placement I wonder if carrying a load up there while driving over bumps could cause the arch to increase ?

On edit. Are you carrying surf boards ? Maybe a strap thrown over the middle and secured to the camper wings each side might help things from getting worse.

Edited by klahanie, 03 December 2019 - 11:56 PM.

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:40 AM

Completely normal.

I wouldn’t try and change it.

It’s built to be that way.

The arch in the roof is beneficial for rain run off and weight carrying capacity.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 surfskiav

surfskiav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. 

The weather stripping showing on this side just seemed odd to me compared to how flush and clean the opposite side looks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users