• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

Looks to me that it's an FWC that won't overload a Tacoma.  My experience with a Ranger II on a Dakota taught me not to overload my truck, especially for those Baja backroads.  Sealing the dust out would be good.   Also 9 grand for basically a shell is a little high I think.  

It's about ~3k higher than what many Millennials are spending on a rack scaffolding and a RTT (not to mention all the other bolt on farkles that they eat up like candy) so not too much of a stretch. A equivalent OVRLND starts at 10k and is even more bare bones.

It's all about the pros and cons of each setup. Over the years I've evolved from an 80 series LC with a RTT, to a shell on my PW where I could sleep in 1/2 the bed (and pack and unpack crap to do so) to a Hawk with minimal movement of interior gear that is dust free.

I would not go back.

Next up is a tray with a flatbed FWC or equivalent. The current slide in has significant limitations on organized storage, especially when it comes to dirty camp items and other gear needed for serious off-roading. The less time you spend on setup/teardown the better.

Edited by Oilbrnr, 05 December 2019 - 08:35 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#12 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

That checkbook better be busy to Mr. Bonney first Richard.  :D

Ya think!? 😂 

I do like the concept. I sleep under an x-tall canopy with all the loading/unloading, stooping over and bumping my head, up & down on the tailgate issues; I’m not getting any younger. I still need to be able to use my truck bed the rest of the time, with no option for me to mount/dismount a traditional camper. So this style or even a wedge would work for me. But...I’ve decided it has got to be barn doors for me to pull the trigger. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#13 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:56 PM

I camped in a number of toppers with tailgate on in my younger days reworked the weather stripping every which way and discovered the only way to halfway keep dust out was to duct tape the joints.  My Fleet is totally dust proof.  And the dust that comes in is not at all easy to get out.  I will be interested if FWC figures out something that I couldn't to fix that.  I agree on the barn doors.

#14 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:25 AM

Next up is a tray with a flatbed FWC or equivalent. The current slide in has significant limitations on organized storage, especially when it comes to dirty camp items and other gear needed for serious off-roading. The less time you spend on setup/teardown the better.

In my opinion, a slide in FWC on a flated and filling the open gaps with storage boxes is hands down the best most useable configuration!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8281.jpg
  • IMG_9354.jpg

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,013 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:44 AM

PIcs of a barn door configuration? I'm not sure why so many want that.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:54 AM

In my opinion, a slide in FWC on a flated and filling the open gaps with storage boxes is hands down the best most useable configuration!

It is useable for items that you don't want to access when you're in the camper like food, cooking needs and clothing. Great for recovery gear, spare parts, outside camp items.

Plus, you have to open the swing outs every time you want to get inside.

Edited by Oilbrnr, 06 December 2019 - 03:03 AM.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#17 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:58 AM

dcu_series.jpg

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#18 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:13 AM

It is useable for items that you don't want to access when you're in the camper like food, cooking needs and clothing. Great for recovery gear, spare parts, outside camp items.

Plus, you have to open the swing outs every time you want to get inside.

Yes, but if you compare how much storage is in a flatbed VS a slide in, it’s not a huge difference really. So add the exterior boxes like above and you have the best of both worlds.

As for the tire carrier, that was by design. It’s a security measure also. Common scum bag thief most likely couldn’t figure it out

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:26 AM

dcu_series.jpg

My 2019 Ranger is a vacuum for every particle of dust on a dirt road.  The tailgate is not sealed to any degree, plus there is a open venting area at the bed front.  Barn doors would help...  a lot.

I am haunted by waters

#20 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:01 AM

Yes, but if you compare how much storage is in a flatbed VS a slide in, it’s not a huge difference really. So add the exterior boxes like above and you have the best of both worlds.

As for the tire carrier, that was by design. It’s a security measure also. Common scum bag thief most likely couldn’t figure it out

There is a considerable amount of storage on the FWC flatbeds compared to the slide-ins. Under the bed alone, which is something that should be done anyway. Moving the water heater, battery, LP further outboard and lower for CG, better rear seating room with storage, more floorspace esp. with two adults and a mutt or two.

I've dealt with swing-outs for years now, and I don't relish getting mine fixed here in a couple of weeks to accommodate the 4" of Hawk stickout. Not to mention the donkey-kick ride they provide. Worst place to add significant weight, aft and high of the rear axle. But hey, it is a holder for the trasharoo, so that's a plus.

Over-center latches are not a deterrent unless padlocked, or you're dealing with someone that is really mentally challenged. 

Again, each config has pros/cons. Whatever suits your needs.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users