• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:35 AM

... leaving here mid to late July . Probably drive fairly steady until we get to B.C. then slow it down. Looking at taking I-90 and then cutting up to B.C. and hooking up with the Cassiar. Any suggestions on a border crossing and route to connect with the Cassiar?

G, if you're thinking drive to Spokane then north you could: cross at Nelway and possibly visit some W Kootenay towns like Nelson, maybe Ainsworth hot springs, Kaslo, Nakusp then make your way to #1 TCH. Or, cross at Osoyoos and possibly up thru Penticton to Vernon. This is the Okanagan and be warned it's gonna be busy in summer and prob hot, but the fresh peaches might just make it worthwhile. Consider parts of the KVR esp Myra Canyon if you'll have bikes, or even for walking.

From Kamloops on the TCH you could take #5N, the positive here would be a chance to visit Wells Gray PP (waterfalls). But there's not much from there to Valemount. Beyond V, you'll be in the Rocky Mtn Trench which can be pretty in fine weather.

Or from Kamloops you could head W to Cache Creek and N on #97, thru The Cariboo. Possible backroad route is W of Clinton, thru Jesmond, maybe thru the Gang Ranch and N to Riske Creek. Can see a different side of BC. Further up and N of Quesnel is Barkerville - if that is of interest.

Now, tell me that you're not going to miss the Icefields Parkway ...

Done it or driving on the way back ?

Edited by klahanie, 02 January 2020 - 02:38 AM.

#12 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

Glen and Eddie - We drove the Dempster in 2010 and again this past summer.  Here is a link to the narrated slide show that that I put together after this last trip.  We took seven weeks and covered 10,700 miles(live in California).  A lot more than just the Dempster is covered but feel free to fast forward to the part you are interested in and skip the rest . . . . . although, it's all great country.

For some reason, I can't get the link to paste into this message.  You can also see it by going to You Tube and typing in Canada Alaska Road Trip, 2019, missinglink

Hope you find it useful, and I hope you both have great trips.  -  Richard

Attached Thumbnails

• Brown Bear #1.JPG

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:33 AM

Here’s Missing Link’s missing link...

Glen and Eddie - We drove the Dempster in 2010 and again this past summer.  Here is a link to the narrated slide show that that I put together after this last trip.  We took seven weeks and covered 10,700 miles(live in California).  A lot more than just the Dempster is covered but feel free to fast forward to the part you are interested in and skip the rest . . . . . although, it's all great country.

For some reason, I can't get the link to paste into this message.  You can also see it by going to You Tube and typing in Canada Alaska Road Trip, 2019, missinglink

...and apologies for the pun.

I am haunted by waters

#14 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

Link. Thanks for the video , looks like a good trip!! We flew into Anchorage a few years back ,rented a truck, and spent 2 weeks traveling around. It was when we returned from that trip that we decided to order our camper.   D. Icefields Parkway, never heard of it until now but after checking it out We will definatly be doing it on the way home. Other than flying to Edmonton to take in the Heritage Classic,and visit my sister, in 2003 I have never been any further west, in Canada, than Thunder Bay. Thanks again Guys. 

#15 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Sage - Thanks for putting up the link (and for the pun  :)).  Any idea what I did wrong when trying to post the link myself? 

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#16 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:55 AM

Icefields Parkway, never heard of it until now but after checking it out We will definitely be doing it on the way home. Other than flying to Edmonton to take in the Heritage Classic,and visit my sister

Oh right, I forgot you could be travelling S from Hay R to Edm. If so it would be a drive over to Jasper...

If there are large fires burning in the West best to check on visibility thru that corridor before going out of your way. A couple of times for us in recent years driving thru the Rockies the views have been obscured by smoke. There will still be traffic and packed parking lots tho, as people plan their trips ahead of time and the whole Rockies trip is national bucket list fodder à la trikebubble's 'visit the North'.

At the the south end of the Parkway there are a few more 'drive in the mountain' choices that head S, SE -  if you are returning via the US - and you are not sick of mountains by then (!). But if you go out to Calgary and continue E on the TCH consider a visit to Drumheller and the museum there, it's about an hour off the hwy.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Oh right, I forgot you could be travelling S from Hay R to Edm. If so it would be a drive over to Jasper...

If there are large fires burning in the West best to check on visibility thru that corridor before going out of your way. A couple of times for us in recent years driving thru the Rockies the views have been obscured by smoke. There will still be traffic and packed parking lots tho, as people plan their trips ahead of time and the whole Rockies trip is national bucket list fodder à la trikebubble's 'visit the North'.

At the the south end of the Parkway there are a few more 'drive in the mountain' choices that head S, SE -  if you are returning via the US - and you are not sick of mountains by then (!). But if you go out to Calgary and continue E on the TCH consider a visit to Drumheller and the museum there, it's about an hour off the hwy.

If you are in Banff already, then rather than heading west on the TCH, consider going further south through Kananaskis (Can an ass kiss) country.  Lovely, LOTS of hiking, and a lot fewer tourists.

#18 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

Thank you for the video.

I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind...It looks like we will be leaving on the Alaska Marine Highway System in Bellingham instead of Prince Rupert and you mentioned that you camped there. Where did you stay?

Also, do you think you have to make a reservation for the near viewing float plane trip several months out as you did or is ther a chance to book something like that maybe a week or two before? I’m trying to keep our schedule as flexible as possible.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

Great video!

#20 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:49 PM

Unsure why so many folks do this in the summer...

I did it this September and it was literally as ideal as it gets

I'll be doing a similar one again this fall, if the new truck is "done enough" in time.

Advantages of September instead of July:

-Not a single bug the entire trip

-INSANE Aurora for 7 nights straight non stop

-Never got below freezing

-Fall colors were off the charts gorgeous

-No Crowds Anywhere

-Salmon running and i got lots of great bear photos.

If possible, reschedule from July to September and enjoy the Northern Lights, fall colors, no bugs, and bears chasing the salmon

Attached Thumbnails

• _8509736.jpg
  • _8505196.jpg
  • _V205733.jpg
  • _V209445.jpg

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 06 January 2020 - 09:51 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users