Photo
- - - - -

2012 Fleet in Gen 1 Tundra bed build-up question?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 odannyboy

odannyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:20 PM

Hello FW camper community, I am happy (and proud) to announce that I am buying a 2012 Fleet for my 06' Tundra double cab. I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has installed a Fleet on a Gen 1 Tundra that might be able to share information as to how much I'll need to build up the bed in order for the camper to clear the cab. I've been told 1.5" will do it. FW Service suggested to simply screw treated 2x4's (on the broad side) to the underside of the camper's factory skids. They weren't entirely certain of the build-up space required but thought 1.5" sounded correct.

Since I need to build up the bed, I'm open to building it up a bit higher to potentially create some under camper/bed storage drawers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, should I use a rubber bed mat to decrease vibration?

I'm planning on attaching by Torklift external frame mounted receivers with Derringer Fastgun turnbuckles.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:38 AM

I use Fastgun Derringers, but use the standard FWC in bed mounting system.  External frame mounted hold downs can catch on stuff... 

Also beware of lifting the camper too much, as it raises the COG (Center of Gravity).

#3 odannyboy

odannyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:59 AM

I use Fastgun Derringers, but use the standard FWC in bed mounting system.  External frame mounted hold downs can catch on stuff... 

Also beware of lifting the camper too much, as it raises the COG (Center of Gravity).

Hey Vic, I called FW Service and they said the "bed bars" for the Fleet wont work on the Gen 1 Tundra. Is your truck a Gen 1 Tundra (00 to 06')? I thought about external mounts, but I wont be doing any "extreme" off-roading so am not too worried about them getting hung up on things. The guy i spoke with at FW Service said that it was his preferred attachment method for sureness of attachment and ease of removal. The downside (in addition to having the turnbuckles potentially get hung up on things) is the cost of the Derringer turnbuckles and the external mounting hardware $$$$. Thanks for pointing out the potential COG issues. at this point, I only want to lift whatever is needed to clear the truck cab. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. 

Edited by odannyboy, 05 December 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:27 AM

Best if a Tundra owner responds, but...  I'm confused.  The "bed bars" are only used on composite bed trucks.  The early Tundras had metal beds.  (I had a 2002).  

Yes, Derringers are expensive, but they hold really well!

#5 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:00 AM

Welcome,

I have done this exact build, well with an older fleet but same same. 1st gen trundra are awesome trucks. How many miles on yours?

Let me know if you have any other questions. - Tim

Edited by Living The Dream, 05 December 2019 - 02:00 AM.

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:58 AM

You are gonna need approx 3” platform

And make sure the camper is wide enough for exterior tie downs or the torklift tie downs might rub on the side of your truck.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:59 AM

Watch this ...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=jpK4gJbQcKU

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:21 AM

I'm confused.  I have an 06 Tundra with a 2012 Fleet and it just slips in.  There is the extra space on the side but no bottom build-up necessary.  Mine is an access cab, so don't know if that is different size from double cab.  FWC did the install and just put bolts in the bed and it is attached with turnbuckles.  I broke the 4 turnbuckles supplied by FWC and got others that were later recommended.

Edited by DonC, 06 December 2019 - 03:21 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#9 odannyboy

odannyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:16 AM

Welcome,

I have done this exact build, well with an older fleet but same same. 1st gen trundra are awesome trucks. How many miles on yours?

Let me know if you have any other questions. - Tim

Hi Tim, It's an 06' with about 130k on it. I've had it since 07' and its been an awesome truck. I appreciate your reply and was able to get some good info and ideas from the videos you attached. Thanks again, Dan

#10 odannyboy

odannyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:26 AM

Attached File  06 Factory tundra specs.pdf   56.35K   277 downloads

I'm confused.  I have an 06 Tundra with a 2012 Fleet and it just slips in.  There is the extra space on the side but no bottom build-up necessary.  Mine is an access cab, so don't know if that is different size from double cab.  FWC did the install and just put bolts in the bed and it is attached with turnbuckles.  I broke the 4 turnbuckles supplied by FWC and got others that were later recommended.

I believe that your bed depth is 17.2" and mine is 20.7" (see attached). The one I'm buying has some black "skids" attached to the underside of the camper that are roughly 2" thick. Does yours have these? Best, Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users