Photo
- - - - -

2012 Fleet in Gen 1 Tundra bed build-up question?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

ah, didn't realize the beds were that different between access and double cab.  No on the black skids, just the factory bottom of the camper.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#12 Porkface

Porkface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFisherville, KY

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:13 AM

2015 Fleet in a 2004 Access Cab. Bought mine used in 2004 (< 1 year old @ 16K miles) and it has a hair over 108K miles (including 1 1/2 round trips to Alaska).

You may be mixing up areas of concern: bed rail and cab height.

I have about 17.5" bed depth (bed rail) with about 19" bed to underside of camper (about 1.5" clearance).

My Fleet measures about 43" from bed to underside of over cab area. Cab is about 40" above bed so I have about 3" clearance. Since your Double Cab bed depth is different, be sure to check your cab height (truck bed to top of cab).

FWC recommends against rubber bed mats and plastic bed liners. Spray-in liners are OK.

Internal camper anchor eye bolts are bolted through the steel bed (installed by Rocky Mtn. FWC).

I installed airbags (Riderites) on my Tundra, replaced the original shocks with Bilsteen 5100's and mounted light truck Goodyear All Terrain T/A KO2's Load Range E. I couldn't see diddly when backing up the truck with camper so I installed a new radio and backup camera too.

#13 odannyboy

odannyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information. I ended up using a 3/4" thick 4' x 6' rubber horse stall mat (available at most feed stores for $50) and pressure treated 2x6 laid flat for a total bed build up of 2 1/4". This gave me  roughly 1" of clearance on the bed sides and 4" over the cab. 

Edited by odannyboy, 21 December 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#14 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for the information. I ended up using a 3/4" thick 4' x 6' rubber horse stall mat (available at most feed stores for $50) and pressure treated 2x6 laid flat for a total bed build up of 2 1/4". This gave me  roughly 1" of clearance on the bed sides and 4" over the cab. 

I just picked up the same horse stall mat for the Tundra bed. $48 at a farm store nearby. Will get the Hawk installed January 7th. Jeff at Mule outfitters said the rubber non-compressing horse mat style mats don't hurt and may help with keeping the turnbuckles from loosening and that some folks report a bit of added insulation for the floor..

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:43 AM

My 2 cents....'05 Tundra AC/'16 Hawk...Rhino Liner as anti-slide bed protection [pads hold moisture/add weight] ...  Ride-Rite [Firestone] air bags...Hellwig Rear anti-sway bar...Cooper AT3 E rated tires.... lots of rough and tumble roads...so far doing great...very happy camper! 

Make the truck/camper what you want it to be...all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users