20 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

Yep, several; the first one as just south of Sac on I-5 in my 70 VW with M/S tires.  No problem getting her to the side of the road; however even though I had a 4 way lug wench I could not break the lug nut free no mater what I did (maybe that should be the the star of its' own thread?)!  This was in those dark ages before cell phone's and luck was with me as one of those call boxes was close by and 3 AAA came to the rescue. 

I had another coming down HW 50 in a 61 VW  with M/S's  as I  heading home to Tahoe when I hit some black ice and went into a slide and ended up hitting the side of the road and blowing out a tire and bouncing back across the road and hitting that curb on the other side before stopping ( at the first hit, I was partially thrown out of the rig with my feet still in,  hands on the steering wheel but my passenger pulled me back  after  sliding on my rear for a while before the last hit--some fun and later pain). I have had lots of slow leaks/blow outs in the back country in my career with BLM but that was part of job and is why we carried at least two spares. 

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:34 AM

There was some rhythmic noise when the truck was moving at normal speed -- like, in time with the rotation of the tire, indicating that some spot on the tire tread was "different".  Then it got worse -- a rhythmic vibration, bumping.  I think there was a weakness in the tire structure that was becoming a bulge...and that part blew. 

Yes, I KNOW -- I should have pulled over and put on the spare BEFORE the tire blew.  :rolleyes: Live and learn (and I lived).

Speaking of putting on the spare:  It was a pretty exciting operation there on the shoulder of a very busy interstate in a huge megalopolous… belly-crawling under the truck to place the jack under the axle.. straining to lift the heavy spare onto the lugs -- my rear end sticking out near the lane of traffic, just a couple/few feet from the semis zooming by. 

All a part of life's rich pageant!

I think that "rhythmic vibration" are the belts separating inside the radial;  at least that is what the tire rep told me.  Good to read no serious issues other than the blow out and inconvenience.  

I have experienced the same kind of blow out and heard a similar sound.  But, from the time I first heard the sound, and not sure what it was, until the blow out was less than 100 miles.  Michelin rep looked at the tire and refunded the cost of the new one I had already paid to have installed. 

My wheels are not inexpensive by a long shot...I wish they were.  My butt would have been hanging out in the danger zone as well...just to save a wheel.  The (perhaps stupid) things we do to save a dime!

Edited by Advmoto18, 07 December 2019 - 12:36 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#13 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:41 PM

Hwy 14 just outside of Mojave heading out to Charlie’s Place for Thanksgiving weekend. Outer rear on the driver’s side of a 32’ Class A towing an enclosed trailer full of motorcycles. Boy oh boy, what a racket. Scared my young stepsons to death but got it to the side without drama. Took out the black tank and a bunch of house wiring located in that area. Notice I said heading out...the black tank was empty save for a few gallons of water and treatment. 🤞 Enjoyed Thanksgiving back home. 

And yes...7 new tires after that. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#14 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:02 AM

Several:

1st was the outside duel on a 1938 International 5 Ton truck loaded with baled hay in 1978, maybe 79. Blew making a right hand turn. Thought the load would fall off, but it didn’t.

Strangest was a almost brand new tire on the North Steens Loop Road on my Ranger in 1986. Blew fast enough I bent the rim, I’ll assume on a rock falling down.

Scariest is a tossup. Maybe when the drivers front peeled the case and blew on my Tioga Motorhome on Hwy 20 by Sagehen Hill, inbound to Burns doing about 65mph. Maybe when I blew the sidewall on the passengers front coming down Troy Grade into Troy Ore., from the Long Meadows side.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

Several:

1st was the outside duel on a 1938 International 5 Ton truck loaded with baled hay in 1978, maybe 79. Blew making a right hand turn. Thought the load would fall off, but it didn’t.

Strangest was a almost brand new tire on the North Steens Loop Road on my Ranger in 1986. Blew fast enough I bent the rim, I’ll assume on a rock falling down.

Scariest is a tossup. Maybe when the drivers front peeled the case and blew on my Tioga Motorhome on Hwy 20 by Sagehen Hill, inbound to Burns doing about 65mph. Maybe when I blew the sidewall on the passengers front coming down Troy Grade into Troy Ore., from the Long Meadows side.

I think I know why they call you Lucky Dan.  Wow, you’ve had some close ones, in some nasty places to have anything happen.

I am haunted by waters

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

I think I know why they call you Lucky Dan.  Wow, you’ve had some close ones, in some nasty places to have anything happen.

Lots of lucky people on Wander the West!

I cannot recall a single blowout.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

+1...

Flats yes, blow outs no.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#18 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:55 PM

Once burned, twice shy for this old boy. In the nearly 20 years since the blowout I've been hyper vigilant about monitoring tire pressure with a quality manual gauge, sidewall and tread inspection for punctures, and being aware of how old all of my tires are.  Just last week I replaced two trailer tires on my utility trailer before a trip to the Blue Ridge to haul firewood up and bring Christmas trees and old furniture back--they were at least 8 years old and had cracked/checked sidewalls.  Better to change them out in the driveway than put the spare down on the side of I-40 and sweat how long the other one might last!

Foy

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

Until this blowout, my experience with tires on this truck over the past 19 years has been almost totally trouble-free.

In fact, the only other time I've had any significant loss of air from tires on this truck was in another semi-traumatic incident -- 6 years ago.  That previous incident was at very low speed but just as fatal for the tire.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hey MBC - Just wondering if you had to replace the wheel and if you had to replace all of your tires while on your trip, as I know sometimes the wear on a spare is just enough different to upset the apple cart, so to speak. Assuming the other 3 tires have the same age/wear issues??

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users