18 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:41 AM

Today I got turned around at a chain control checkpoint because my truck was too heavy. Guy said there was a 6500 weight limit. I've never heard of nor experienced this before. I've always been waved on through when the signs say "chains or 4x4 with snow tires" are up. 

A lengthy detour and and again at another checkpoint they were questioning my weight. A couple bald faced lies got me through that one. 

KIMG0113%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I tried to get a pic of Mono Lake showing the whitecaps and unusually green color (to me at least) and the wind was blowing so hard I couldn't open the door!

KIMG0114%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:28 AM

Craig, as long as I've been running around on snowy mountain roads in California, these have been the designations/requirements -

What are the R-1, R-2 conditions that I hear about?

Although Caltrans does not post signs with these designations nor use them to announce chain controls to the public, they are used internally within Caltrans and the CHP as a kind of shorthand to describe chain restrictions and may be included in traffic reports disseminated by various news outlets.

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

Requirement 2 (R-2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

Requirement 3 (R-3): Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

Under truck requirements I found this -

There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.

Source -

https://dot.ca.gov/t...in-requirements

We needed to know and follow the requirements when we responded to SAR incidents - always in storms. It was another thing for us to be religious about. Our people had all sizes of trucks and equipment and we all had to legally get through together so we could get to work. Agencies that we represented appreciated us not becoming an issue while in route.

We are occasionally asked our weight when traveling. I know a lot of people - especially as they buy bigger and bigger trucks - are unaware of the weight requirements.

The wind can sure blow in the Mono Basin, can't it? :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:17 AM

It can. Seems for some reason they've decided to enforce the rules even though, at least in my experience, they haven't until now. I'm curious about the reasoning behind those rules. Looks like I better get used to chaining up my truck. 

I told myself, grab the chains, before I left. They're still in my spare bedroom. 

I was trying to beat the weather. If I hadn't stopped at Schat's and Mahogany meats I might have made it :)

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

<snip>

I was trying to beat the weather. If I hadn't stopped at Schat's and Mahogany meats I might have made it :)

A man's got to do what a man's got to do  :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

Seems for some reason they've decided to enforce the rules even though, at least in my experience, they haven't until now.

For me it looks obvious, puts all the tools to work to get drivers to slow down. Winter here is filled with story after story about traffic backed up due to spin outs. People drive too fast and most have little experience or clue on how to drive in winter conditions in the mountains.

Yeah, I'm a broken record.................losing a bit of tolerance maybe. :)

No matter what incident was that we were called to, we always said the time spent driving to the command post was the dangerous part of the mission.

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

Whoa, I was unaware of the weight limit...good to know now. The Dodge (1/2-ton) had a GVWR of 6400# and I was never stopped, but always carried chains. The Chevy has a GVWR of 9200#, 4WD, AT m+s tires, etc...haven’t had it in the snow yet but our cabin gets snow. I’d hate to have to chain up just to get up there. Typically, it’s less than 10 miles from the usual control points to the front door. Hmmm...

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

10k here I believe.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

The coopers performed well in the slushy snow. I didn't slide a bit. 

I know what Ski is talking about though. I was following a CHP going downhill. Idiots passed other vehicles going uphill right in front of him. No way for him to turn around and nab them. Perhaps he had a buddy waiting for them later :)

I better go toss a set of chains in the Jeep just in case I wind up towing it during chain controls. 

#9 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:57 AM

I am thinking there is a miss interpretation of the law going on. Ski's post references " heavy duty Commercial vehicle" this is defined as over 14,000 GVWR.

https://www.transpor...le-definitions/

There is a link through to a ca gov site.

Ski's link is to a CA "Truck" site and seems to reference larger commercial vehicles.

Up here in Tahoe, they just keep waving me through, and I cannot imagine them stopping every 3/4 ton for chain issues. 

I think someone at caltrans is getting over zealous at certain control points.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#10 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

Agreed,  very confusing. Even half ton trucks these days have GVWR over 6000 pounds.  And what about trucks between 6000 and 6500 pounds?

What makes a truck commercial?  When I lived in California my GMC 2500HD had a commercial registration because of its GVWR, but it wasn’t truly a commercial vehicle. 

We need someone from CHP to jump in and clarify this for us. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users