Photo
- - - - -

Anybody else finding lots of leaking dry-cell batteries?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

I've noticed over the last year or so that I'm finding more instances of corrosion damage in my battery-powered devices than usual.

I suppose that could be coincidence or that finding one alerts me to look for others.  But this morning I found five corroded (leaking) batteries among the 14 batteries left in my supply box of new AAAs.   This is one of those 36-count boxes of Rayovac batteries from Walmart.  The batteries are each dated as being good to November 2025.

That led me to this recent article:  Rant: Our RAYOVAC batteries leak so much we're switching to DURACELL.  That photo at the top is the 36-count box I'm talking about.

--------

I checked other battery-powered devices today and found corrosion in two of them-- a TV controller and an infra-red temp gun.  In both cases those were AAA-powered and I was using Lowe's Utilitech batteries in them.  In both cases one of the two batteries had leaked but I was able to clean up the contacts with some white vinegar.

I've lost several devices to leaking batteries this year and figured it was due to the occasional leaker we all find from time to time.  But today is the first time I've found corrosion in a box of new batteries still years away from their expiration date.

Anyone else seeing more dry-cell battery corrosion than usual?

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

I quit buying Kirkland brand alkaline batteries due to leakage a couple of years ago when they changed suppliers. Prior to that, I bought only their brand due to its quality & price. Still buy at Costco, but just the Duracells now. One lost expensive electronics item consumes any savings due to lower price over many packages of batteries.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

I quit buying Kirkland brand alkaline batteries due to leakage a couple of years ago when they changed suppliers. Prior to that, I bought only their brand due to its quality & price. Still buy at Costco, but just the Duracells now. One lost expensive electronics item consumes any savings due to lower price over many packages of batteries.

Paul

Same here.  Only Duracell batts

I am haunted by waters

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

I have noticed some leaking ones over the years,not many though.

I also but "Duracell".

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

Also Duracells only. Did have one leak, called and got a gift card for $50 to replace my LED Maglite. 

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:51 AM

My understanding is batteries leak when they slowly lose their charge.  This is the case with many of the newer electronic devices that have a parasitic drain on the batteries.  The batteries leak when the charge drops to a certain point and continue to drain.  It must be true because I read it on the internet.  :mellow:

It hurts when a $0.25 battery ruins an expensive device.  I noticed lithium batteries at Costco that the mfg claims will never leak.  They're more expensive, but I'm thinking of giving them a try because at PaulT stated, one less ruined device will pay for a lot of batteries.  I'm trying to think of the most expensive device I've lost to leaking batteries.  I think it was a rotating laser level.

Edited by Espresso, 30 December 2019 - 04:29 AM.

#7 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:23 AM

I’ve had the same experience with Rayovac batteries from Walmart. Stop buying that brand years ago.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

I buy most of my batteries from https://www.batteryjunction.com/

I buy the Titanium in cr123 form, no problems. 

Eneloop rechargeables in many forms, no problems. 

Ultrafire 18650s rechargeable with no problems. 

Amazon Basics in any form STAY AWAY. Pure junk. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users