• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:19 AM

Howdy

I used to know Dave when he built his Bartender boat.....I have owned a few of those.

Knew he was a kayaker but never knew he used folding boats.......

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:37 AM

Yup, he was a folder.  He also did a nice job on the Bar Tender.   Any chance you’re on CBrats?

I am haunted by waters

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

No

What is that ?

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:43 AM

No

What is that ?

It’s a CDory forum, kinda like the waterborne version on WTW.   Here’s a link

Theres a bit of crossover membership between WTW and CBrats.

I am haunted by waters

#15 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Wow,

Just when I thought I was over my desire to buy any more kayaks. Have been yakking since 93 and have a nice armada going in the garage, but will definitely be looking at this company. 

We purchased a gently used folbot about 3 years ago, just for Baja, and while we like it, would like an upgrade to go with the other boats we have. As much as I love my hardshell, the thought of getting it off of the roof of my camper is off-putting to say the least. Trailer only for the big boats from now on I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

Wow,

Just when I thought I was over my desire to buy any more kayaks. Have been yakking since 93 and have a nice armada going in the garage, but will definitely be looking at this company. 

We purchased a gently used folbot about 3 years ago, just for Baja, and while we like it, would like an upgrade to go with the other boats we have. As much as I love my hardshell, the thought of getting it off of the roof of my camper is off-putting to say the least. Trailer only for the big boats from now on I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting.

We bought a used Folbot Greenland II several years ago, thinking it would be a great boat to use with our CDory when poking around places like Lake Powell.   I found it difficult to assemble and somewhat fragile.  I pulled rivets out of the keel lock when I didn’t get one of the stems perfectly aligned in the skin.  But...  I loved the concept of a folder.  

I’d thought about the LHFKs for quite a while, but was hesitant to invest that much in a folder.  After visiting their facility (camped in their lot) and seeing the boats in person, all doubt was removed.  They’re very high quality boats.  Check out their tutorials on assembly and disassembly to get an idea of quality, and ease of assembly.

The Stretch Mk II will replace our Folbot and a big 20’ Necky Tofino 100+ pound hard shell.   I’m toying with the idea of adding a Balough sail (I have the sail) to the boat, but want to use it for a while before making that decision.  Oregon now makes sailboats over 12’ be licensed, and for some reason, that doesn’t sit well with me.

Long Haul Folding Kayaks

I am haunted by waters

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

I'm contemplating one of these

https://www.trakkaya...e-touring-kayak

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Vic,  there are a few comments on the TRAK forum...  not all of it is positive.

You may need to join to see them.   It’s not a very active forum, but there is usually good info.

I am haunted by waters

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

WS, so you are familiar with the TRAK kayaks?  Did you consider them too before you bought your LongHaul?

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:52 AM

Vic, My only familiarity with TRAK is from the Folding Kayak Forum, and no I did not consider them.  Conversations with others steered me towards the LH Boats.  They (LH) are very similar to Klepper, and that was a boat I was initially interested in.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users