• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AdkMike

AdkMike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:01 AM

The ac in my 2011 hawk stopped working. I was wondering if anyone had experience getting them out. I think it’s just the sealant holding it in at this point, but it doesn’t even want to budge. I removed the trim around the inside and the screws that secure it on the inside. It looks like it should slide into the camper to remove it.

7C8669E7-6619-407E-9CA3-51FD00CB390E.jpeg

Just wanted to update this.  I got the old ac out.  The sealant was holding it.  Part of the problem was I was trying to get it out with the trim on.  I was breaking the seal between the ac housing and the angle aluminum that is riveted to the housing.  The sealant was still intact between camper and that angle aluminum.  While you can leave the shroud in place I found it was really tight getting the ac out with the shroud still mounted.  If I was doing it again.  I would carefully remove all the exterior trim, then break the sealant seal and remove the entire ac. 

I drilled the rivets out from the old ac to reuse the same angle aluminum pieces.  I carefully lined up the old angle on the new ac housing. Then drilled and riveted those on the new ac.  There are little tabs you need to cut off on the new ac shroud.  i used a 3.5" cutting wheel on a die grinder for that which worked very well.  Much better than the cuts that were on the old ac.  I then tried to install the new ac and found it was really tight.  It appeared to be catching on the bottom support of the ac.  I looked at the old one and saw it had been hammered on the ends, so I took off the old support and used that on the new ac.  I still need to clean up the old trim, but it looks like it will work.  The new ac has the same dimensions, but is 2" deeper.  I'm going to have a new cover made for it.  

The new ac i used was a GE AEL05LX.  It's very similar to the ac that was installed in my camper originally.  I think it's just the new model. 

IMG_8816.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8819.jpg
  • IMG_8817.jpg

Edited by AdkMike, 07 May 2020 - 02:26 PM.

#2 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Following just in case ;) The pics help me as I wondered how they actually installed mine. Please keep us posted as to your resolve.

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

Hi
A/C unit slides out the front. There could be a screw or two on outside securing tray to cabinet. Be patient and look then pull gently.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:47 AM

as said above, pull from inside of camper. There is lots of sealant and some shrouding thats screwed in. You'll spend more time breaking the sealant away than anything else. Not a terrible job but takes a solid afternoon. Better if you have an extra set of hands

F150 & FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users