• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 FiremanWanderer

FiremanWanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:12 AM

On the verge of ordering our camper and we got the news that they no longer offer the front sliding window. This is important to us so we can grab gear and things from our cooler in the back seat of our tundra. Any thoughts on not having the slider or possibilities of ordering one?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:07 AM

To me, that is a good thing, It eliminates a potential leak point.  

I am haunted by waters

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:45 AM

On the verge of ordering our camper and we got the news that they no longer offer the front sliding window. This is important to us so we can grab gear and things from our cooler in the back seat of our tundra. Any thoughts on not having the slider or possibilities of ordering one?

That is brilliant! Why have I not thought about that?! I will give it a try on my next trip and report back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:14 AM

I like a slider also so, myself, I'd look at ordering one and having ATC install it. Kicker is, I spent a few minutes searching online and I didn't see any of the old style configuration where by the two middle panes slide out to create a large, centred opening. The other sliding styles would be much less useful to me. So would need to look at custom made availability first from RV and truck canopy window mfrs. And that research might decide it right there.

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

I ordered my ATC in May and I wanted the slider window since that is what I had in my previous 2 Hawks. I mainly used it for extra ventilation and one time when my friend accidentally locked the doors on my Tundra I was able to barely squeeze through both sliders to retrieve my keys. Marty informed me that they had too many customers experience leaks so they made the decision to not offer the sliders any more. He said the leaks generally happened while driving in the rain. I have a Truckfridge inside my Panther so retrieving food through the slider isn't an issue. I never thought it would be faster/easier to retrieve things through the camper window since it's such a small opening. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

I have the combo slider/drop down window on my shell. Wish I had gone with the solid window. Dust and water are definitely an issue. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

When we had a fwc the slider was a must as we always traveled

with our cat and he could go back and forth as he choose !

Should not be to hard to find windows online send opening

size to atc and at least have a frame built, then it would

be easy to install.

(maybe not for everyone, but that is what i would do.)

Les,lqhikers

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

FYI, I just removed a slider from my ATC Puma, as I am doing a shell build out that will have shelving/cupboards along that front wall.  Works fine, never leaked for us.  

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

On reflection, I suppose one could use a more common, one pane slide like below and position it so the opening part was centred on the front wall to line up with the truck opening, if the interior layout allowed and ATC was willing. This type shown above may seal better than the older style I referred to earlier (shown at bottom)

c43f3e6a-293d-402c-8467-554ba7adc730.jpg

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wanderthewest.com%2F

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

Having a 2009 ATC Bobcat,I have the large slider.

I like it for the air flow it offers.

Also might be handy to pass things through,

although have not used it for that.

No leaks over all our years.

IMO it's something to have.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users