28 replies to this topic

#1 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

OK, survived the holidays and am back to the research. In my initial post I asked about the truck choices: http://www.wanderthe...ell-model-work/

I've arrived at the conclusion that the best all purpose truck for my needs is going to be an F150 XL 4X4 Supercab with V8.  The 6.5' bed has max brochure payload of 2200lbs (respectable) or the 8' bed can do 2760lbs with the heavy duty payload pkg. I wanted the regular cab 8ft with a Grandby but the gf hates it, demands more cab. Truck vs. gf is another forum. 

I know the FWC I want is going the be a Shell model.  The next question is Hawk or Grandby?  I initially wanted the Grandby because of the extra space but this means extra truck and extra costs.  The Hawk on the 6.5' bed might be just fine and give me a shorter wheelbase.  The difference is about 18" of camper.  So is that extra bit worth it?  When I was at the factory showroom, I could barley notice the difference inside.  More space is almost always better than less, but a long truck has its disadvantages. Besides costing more upfront, probably gets slightly lower mpg (2mpg could make a difference), and maneuverability in town is a pain.

I guess it's more or less a question of more or less =)

Edited by natetripsus, 18 January 2020 - 08:27 PM.

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Hi Nate

And welcome.

It sounds like you are thinking carefully about your use of the camper.

Shell vs factory build is an important decision.

Where are you located ?

I have two Hawks presently and you are welcome to take a look side by side.

We will sell one of them as we approach the camping season.

I live on the north Oregon coast.

David Graves

#3 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

You should fill out your profile so we know where you are.  Town driving might be a pain in LA, but not in Klamath Falls.

I'd like to know more about your use.  Do you think your trips will mostly be dirt road, Forest Service, BLM, or most established campgrounds and the like.  Maybe seems like a weird question, but I'm trying to get a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

If it were me, I'd get the Grandby.  I have a Hawk and it's tight with two people.  It's great for one person, for me, but add a girlfriend and everything seems to be cut in half, half as much room.  An extra 18" or so would make a big difference.

As for the truck, I like SuperCab short-box trucks optioned to go off road, but that means Hawk.  I got my truck and camper before my girlfriend, but if I were to do it over again, I'd make sure it was a long bed truck with Grandby.  Really, either way, I'd get a Super Duty truck, XL, 4x4, single cab or Super Cab with the long-box, 4.30 gears and rear locker, and then I'd put a True Trac limited slip differential up front.  In 4-low, it'd go just about anywhere you pointed it.  I know that's not what you want, but that's just my opinion on a great setup for most things (except mileage of course).

#4 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

The extra 18" in the Grandby is a lot more than you think.  It opens a lot of potential storage options.  But I don't know which I would give up, the extra cab space or the extra camper space.  It's nice to store toys or other items in the back area of the cab and not have to move them from the camper when you're setting up camp.  

#5 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

About me, I currently live and work in the SF Bay area. I don't really love living here and would rather be in the mountains but I have a small business that can only exist here for now.  So escaping the insanity is high priority for me.  I own a commercial compact cargo van suitable for my business that I have converted into a micro camper.  For work its great, for camping it leaves a lot to be desired. I took it on a 2500mi tour of the west from CA-NV-AZ-UT-ID.  The gf and I go camping locally and in the Sierras. It's a fuel efficient camper but more than anything I want the ability to stand up and move around in a warm dry enclosed space.  I want a heater, a roof vent, and a fan and I'm set. I'm really tired of camp set up and take down efforts too.  Since I can make my own schedule to a certain degree, I want to spend more time exploring the west on longer trips.  My gf and I have looked at all sorts of RVs and originally it seemed a small tow-able was the right option but I'd have to pay to store it and any reasonably priced storage lot is too far away. There really is only one solution, a pop up truck camper.

This might work out financially as I can get a truck for my business and explore some tax benefits and I could also use the FWC Shell as a contractor box/mobile office too so there's that...

A shell model because I want the lightest weight and I also really like the openness of the space and the ability to reconfigure the interior as needed. Plus I already have stuff like compressor fridge, solar "generator" etc.

An F150 because of the good payloads on base models, affordability etc.  The F250s, while more than capable and almost cost the same but are just too much beef for my taste.  Most opinions I've gathered say the F150 properly configured is just fine. Runner up is Nissan Titan XD. A midsize truck/Fleet sounds appealing and cost efficient but I cant make the payload numbers work.

This rig would not be nearly as versatile and efficient as my mini van for conducting business in the City but there are plenty of big trucks about, just parking is way harder for them.

Lots of weekending planned plus extended road tripping is big dream for both of us. We need to accommodate two humans and two dogs. We hope to take some extended road trips around my ancestral lands of Canada but hotels/motels are few and pricey up there so a camper seems the right idea. 

This all began with the question of accommodating a Hawk shell on a reg cab F150 short bed.  The short wheel base would be great for work and I'd have a camper too but the payloads cut it close and when you add the gf, the dogs, the stuff... might be overload and cramped.  If it were just me, it could be perfect, but it's not just me so...

Edit: I'm not a serious off-roader or overlander but I think 4wd is needed for a little dirt and snow. better to have and not need then to need and not have I suppose. Otherwise I'd be happy with 2wd

Addendum:  Wouldn't the Hawk have a better resale value as more people have the 6.5' beds than the 8'er?

Edited by natetripsus, 18 January 2020 - 10:06 PM.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

I think you’re spot on with a F150 and a shell.  For a short bed, I recommend you look at and compare the Hawk from FWC with the ATC Panther or Ocelot.  If you go with an 8’ bed, compare the Grandby to the ATC Cougar/Puma.  Typically, ATC campers are less expensive than FWC, and ATC happily does custom work.  I have great respect for the guys at ATC.   BTW, the reason ATC offers two campers  is because of camper width.

Regardless of which camper you choose, my recommendation is to add a furnace and thermal insulation.  If you ever intend to carry anything on top, full length Yakima tracks would be a good addition.   On your truck, a set of air bags would also help when you load it up.

I am haunted by waters

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:57 PM

nate, I've read your other posts. My .02 for you re Hawk or Ganby:

Which is cheaper ? - Hawk

Which is shorter  ? - Hawk

To speak plainly, those two considerations are high priority from what you've posted.

Lots of Hawks out there. You can manage just fine. And you won't need a longer, more expensive 8' box.

Smaller camper also means less room for stuff and less weight. Even so payload will be tight - it almost always is with campers - so buy (order if need be) for the highest available payload in the cab/engine config of your choice. Just don't but a unicorn.

Good luck !

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:20 AM

you mention storage of a trailer as NOT being an option, so that makes it sound like the camper will be on full-time, right?  If so, go flatbed Hawk.

#9 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:09 AM

You say two humans and two dogs. No doubt, Grandby, no doubt.

I think you have everything else figured out really well for what you describe. I dont think you'll find any difference driving the long bed vs short bed and only a very minimal difference parking them. If you're driving a truck it'll be harder to park regardless, the extra 18" won't make an appreciable difference enough to warrant the short bed Hawk, imho. I'd only consider a short bed with Hawk if getting offroad was a primary concern.

#10 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

You say two humans and two dogs. No doubt, Grandby, no doubt.

I think you have everything else figured out really well for what you describe. I dont think you'll find any difference driving the long bed vs short bed and only a very minimal difference parking them. If you're driving a truck it'll be harder to park regardless, the extra 18" won't make an appreciable difference enough to warrant the short bed Hawk, imho. I'd only consider a short bed with Hawk if getting offroad was a primary concern.

Yep. Two humans and one dog here. Grandby. 

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users