Photo
- - - - -

Device charging - 110v with inverter or 12v plug?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

I have a rechargable battery charger that has both a 110v plug and a 12v plug.  I can use either.  

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the 110v with an inverter vs just using the 12v plug - either in the camper or the truck cab.

I guess this is really a generic question.  If you have the option of either, which is "better" - faster charging, less drain on camper or truck batteries.  I don't know if there are other considerations.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:28 PM

I don’t recall anyone on WTW making a comparison, might be an opportunity for an experiment.   If I had to guess, I’d say 12VCC charging might be more effective.

I am haunted by waters

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

I would think that if you convert 12v to 110v you would lose a little energy during the conversion, so that might suggest if you are starting with a 12v system ie truck battery, then using the 12 v option might be better. Just an educated guess and not an expect opinion.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#4 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

direct 12v was my thought also.  Without knowing anything about electricity I thought the direct 12v might be more efficient because using the inverter, you are first powering the inverter before anything gets to the devise.  But that's just an intuitive thought with no knowledge behind it.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

The best inverters brag about being "93% efficient" or something like that.  Cheap inverters can be worse.  And we're not even allowing for losses in the charger, and, yes, there will be some.None of these devices are 100% efficient.

So you WILL waste some of your battery's energy if you go 12 volt source > 12 volt to 110 volt inverter > 110 volt to 12 volt charger.

Also, the typical "cigarette plug" on small plug in inverters can definitely limit current flow.  You would be better off switching it to Anderson plugs.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

Using an inverter means that you're consuming energy to synthesize 120 VAC and then consuming energy to convert that back to some voltage of DC power.  Doesn't sound like this is your situation, but more generically if you need a DC voltage that is greater than 12 VDC you might be better served in looking at DC to DC converters than by going the inverter route. There still will be some consumption in a converter, but it should be less than going the Inverter to DC route.

By design cigarette lighter - power points are maxed out at 15 amps. If your charger pulls more than, say, 10 amps I'd look at other options like the mentioned Anderson Power Poles. If the charger pulls 5 amps or less I would not worry about it in the slightest.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

We usually use a small 110 inverter to charge our phones, tablets, camera batteries etc. Yup, it costs more in energy, but it goes so much faster. Come to think of it, the camera battery chargers only work on 110 - caused me trouble at Crater Lake before we got the inverter.

Anyway, it's good to have options for those times when the devices are low and time is short.

Alan

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:32 AM

i have a camera charger that only works on AC... I get it.  What made me laugh/cry one time was a question (on some other forum!) where the person asked why they couldn't use their inverter - plugged into the camper battery -- to plug in a battery charger and charge the camper battery with it!   :D  :rolleyes:  :blink:

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

On the tiny trailers forum the (apparently) preferred method for charging the trailer battery is an inverter on the TR with an extension cord reaching back to the charger on the trailer. I'm very unexcited about such a system, particularly if it is raining.

When you need a DC voltage that is higher than truck or camper battery voltage then an inverter may make more sense. I'd say that it depends on the amps needed at that higher voltage.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

We charge nearly everything starting at 12 volts, phones, tablets, laptop (when I had one), camera etc. It's easier, and you can also charge stuff up in the cab while driving. Probably more efficient, but if you're using a small inverter not that much different (No, I haven't done the math!!) A large pure sine inverter charging a cell phone wont be efficient, but if you already own one, then . . .

If you have the right charger/adapter, there should be no difference in charge time. 

Only exception is our sonicare toothbrush which has an induction charging base requiring 120VAC.  I've been using a small "Coleman" branded inverter that's probably 20+ years old, square wave out, maybe 100W. Sonicare hasn't complained. However, we recently purchased a new sonicare that still has an inductive charger base, but is quite a bit different. I'll be quite attentive the first time I charge it.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users