Diesel Heater Install

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Who has installed a diesel heater, either a fancy Espar/Webasto or cheaper Chinese version? I have watched a handful of videos and looks pretty straight forward. Just curious about where folks have install the fuel tank or what it looked like tapping into their vehicles diesel tank. 

I have thought about just installing the fuel tank in the same compartment as my propane tank (assuming I can make it fit). Others have install the tank inside their vehicles. Not into that as I don't really want a fuel tank just hanging out in my living space. 

The best sounding option is to tap into my vehicles tank. My one concern is I take my camper on and off a fair amount. What would a line that gets plugged and unplugged look like?

Just curious what folks have done. 

#2 Stevefs

Stevefs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

Last year I installed an Espar hot air heater in a MB Sprinter. The unit is well made and reasonably easy to install. The Sprinter had a separate line from the diesel tank with a special quick release fitting on the line that matched the fitting that was provided with the Espar. The unit is very fuel efficient. Between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon in 24 hours on low heat, around 60F.
The feature that I pressed me the most was its ability to maintain an even heat by regulating the fan and the furnace.

I have a RAM2500 diesel with a Hawk 4 Wheel Camper on a flatbed. I am considering replacing the propane heater with the Espar. In cold weather the propane heater will not maintain even heat with it's on off heating cycle. My truck has two fuel tanks. The rear one is pumped to the main tank on demand. I will put a T in the line before the transfer pump and insert the Espar pump
Line. The Espar fuel line is 1/8 plastic line and I will find a quick disconnect fitting fo it.

Depending on your truck, if it is diesel you can put a T fitting with a quick disconnect in the line before the pump or if it is gasoline powered a small 5 gal tank could be installed under the vehicle in a place where a fill pipe could be installed.

I have another Canadian trip coming up in the summer, I hope to have it installed for that trip.
Steve

#3 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

I am going to install a heater this weekend. Went with a cheap one off of amazon. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a huge mistake. I don't imagine I will use it too often so it seems smarter to spend $150 to try it out than $1000+ If I end up using it more and it dies I will end up with an Espar D2.

If you go that route I would be really interested to see what quick disconnect you end up using. Would be nice to have the heater tapped into my diesel tank. For now I am going to go with an external tank installed in the propane box. Might be a summer project to move some stuff around. 

#4 Stevefs

Stevefs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:55 PM

What is the name of the heater that you will be using?

This is a quick fuel line connector that would probably work.  https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B000N5QIE4

Steve

#5 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:49 AM

Here is how I mounted on a Fleet/2500 RAM. Works perfect, I have a separate fuel tank, don’t like the idea messing up the existing fuel system on the truck. Also to consider, the heater run on kerosine, red diesel, etc so you have more fuel alternative than truck diesel.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6EB0E240-5B42-43D8-BA07-42D923867975.jpeg

Edited by Dessmo, 10 March 2020 - 06:52 AM.

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#6 Stevefs

Stevefs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

Nice job on the install.  Is that an Espar heater, if so do you have to re-jet it to run on different types of kerosene?  Do you have a larger picture that shows the heater location in reference to the 4 Wheel Camper.  It looks like it is under the camper.  I was thinking of removing the propane heater and installing the Espar in the original heater location.

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

Welcome, Stevefs and Dessmo. And thanks for posting up experience. This is a great topic.

Here is how I mounted on a Fleet/2500 RAM. Works perfect,

Very slick. How do you find the noise level inside and outside for other campers.

#8 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:22 PM

Welcome, Stevefs and Dessmo. And thanks for posting up experience. This is a great topic.

Very slick. How do you find the noise level inside and outside for other campers.

Not much noise neither inside or outside. There is a ticking noise from the pump, but it does not bother me. I think there are some sleeves you can get to reduce the ticking noise. There are some noise from the fan if you run it on high speed.

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#9 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

Here is how I mounted on a Fleet/2500 RAM. Works perfect, I have a separate fuel tank, don’t like the idea messing up the existing fuel system on the truck. Also to consider, the heater run on kerosine, red diesel, etc so you have more fuel alternative than truck diesel.

It looks like it might be this one?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1561637574

I'm really interested in a diesel heater too. I was thinking of an install a lot like yours. Not sure whether a Chinese or an expensive name-brand one. I wonder if there is any more risk of a Chinese one doing something like catching on fire.

Are you drawing outside air for the intake air? It looks that way to me, but maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Not a criticism or anything, but wouldn't that cut way down on the efficiency, using a lot more diesel and watts? You would be heating much colder air than if you were heating already heated indoor air.

Edited by CoreyTrevor, 10 March 2020 - 09:00 PM.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#10 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:52 PM

It would be interesting to see if anyone has installed in place of the existing Atwood furnace.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users