#1 FishBamboo

FishBamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:18 AM

I am thinking of installing a Wave 3 heater in my ATC. I have an Atwood at this time however am having some issues with it.

Does the Wave 3 cause more condensation issues compared to the forced air heater?

About how long does it take to heat the camper in -20f, +10f, +30f, +40f temperatures? Note I have the cold weather pack.

Will low setting keep the camper warm enough in the above temperature ranges once the camper is warm?

How is it with propane consumption compared to the forced air Atwood? 

Seems to me it is a win win. No DC use, cost of wave 3 less, looks to be more efficient, no noise.

Any other pros or cons?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by FishBamboo, 24 January 2020 - 01:22 AM.

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:36 AM

Yes the Wave 3 and all unvented heaters will cause significantly more condensation than a vented heater.    I am also not a huge fan of breathing all the combustion products from the heater.   The other draw back with the radiant heaters is uneven heat - it will be really warm in front of the heater, but can still be freezing cold in the cab over. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:00 AM

We have both installed in our camper. Yes, with the Wave 3 there is more moisture in the air. We are aware of it but it is not a significant issue. After long use of the Wave 3, my eyes notice the combustion byproducts with a hint of burning. Again, not significant. We do not notice a significant difference in propane use between the two. We do not sleep overnight with heat on. We love the forced air furnace for a nice quick warm up in the morning. If we only went with one heat source, it would be the forced air Atwood,  hands down, no second thoughts.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

To echo what Mr. Ski said,

We have both, the wave is used mostly for when the weather forces us inside for a lengthy period. We aim it at where we happen to be inside. I have used it at night a few times, much like the buddy heater. I just increase the amount of ventilation, and use a usb powered fan. I also have three(yes, way overkill) co monitors. 

The reason for using it is mostly to keep batteries at max, and also to keep a more constant temp without hearing the forced air heater going as much. I also tend to use it more in places with lower humidity. 

Not sure about amount of propane, we have two 20lb tanks, but it doesn't seem high. I like back ups with everything.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

I've no personal experience with one, but I find the Plat Cat VENTED catalytic heater intriguing.  You might check into it.  

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

I've no personal experience with one, but I find the Plat Cat VENTED catalytic heater intriguing.  You might check into it.  

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/

Interesting.  They mention that venting is power, but in a quick scan, I didn’t see anything on power consumption.  I’m going to give them a call.

I am haunted by waters

#7 crumbs

crumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

Interesting.  They mention that venting is power, but in a quick scan, I didn’t see anything on power consumption.  I’m going to give them a call.

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/heaters

Looks like 0.5 amps

2wd  Looking for a New Puma Shell 78" wide with a 60" interior closed height.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

Thank you. My quick scan must have been too quick. :)

I am haunted by waters

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

Company is in Tumwater, Wa. so it may be possible for us PNW folks to take a closer look.
Also, made on demand with two month delivery, so not for this winter.  
Thermostatically controlled, so I wonder if the 0.5 amp draw is off when not producing heat. 

Does look interesting.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:10 AM

We have a Wave and furnace in our Alaskan.

Furnace is warm quick, Wave keeps things warm without the furnace having to run so much.

No moisture problems but Montana is pretty dry and we keep ventilation.

I have no regrets adding ours, would do it again. Not enough by itself when really cold but a worthwhile addition to supplement the furnace.

2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users