Photo
- - - - -

Seller advice -- repair roof hail damage or discount price?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

I have decided to sell my 2017 Fleet and do a Ford Transit van camper build. About a year ago I was caught in a nasty hail storm in Colorado and it dimpled the thin aluminum sheet that covers the roof. No other damage was done to the camper and the roof is intact and water-tight. You obviously can't see the dimples unless you are on a ladder. Living in Western Pennsylvania it is almost impossible to get fixed. The nearest FWC shop that can fix this is in Denver. 

So, the question is should I get it fixed and then sell, or offer it for sale with a discount of a couple thousand dollars. Are some buyers going to jump at the chance to save some $$ for a cosmetic issue that you really can't see?

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#2 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

Because the issues are cosmetic and the repair price is easy to determine, offer the camper as is discounted. Imagine how much of your time and effort would be required to repair based on your location.

#3 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

...unless you are just up for one last cross country adventure!

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Discount it. If the camper is used, it will happen again.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Well, a road trip is always good and I have relatives nearby so it wouldn't be bad, but . . . it would be more fun to drive the new van build, even if it isn't finished. 

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

One more vote for discounting the camper.  When I sold my Grandby, I asked a lower price because of roof oil canning.

I am haunted by waters

#7 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

I bought our previous FWC Eagle used and didn't hesitate to buy it with hail dimples in the roof. I never had a problem with the roof and never had it repaired and owned it for 3 years before it got wrecked in a accident. Then I was real glad I didn't spend the money to have it repaired. :)

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:37 AM

Honestly the campers are so sought after that I would mention the "damage" in the description but would not discount very much because of it. My eagle had damage when I bought it but they are hard enough to find that I didn't have much room to negotiate. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Selling as is would be my preference and hopefully as @Kolockum mentioned, the popularity of the FWCs and the long wait times for new will make it a non-issue. When I talked to the FWC in Denver he told me that the waiting list for ordering new is many weeks. 

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#10 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

honestly, probably almost every FWC in Colorado has a dimpled roof. They are pretty thin metal and we just get so much hail its almost inevitable.  (I have had 2 and both were dimpled, It purely cosmetic... and like golf balls, it creates better aerodynamics, its a selling point.. ha)

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users