? for my northern friends

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

while removing ice an snow from camper (every carefully) I noticed roof clamp where quite loose,they where factory tight ,so I tighten them!!did I goof up by doing so!! Will they be to tight when all the snow melts off?? possibly pulling latch loss from camper side ???!

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

If the screws on the latches are loose then without a doubt tighten them. The screws will not loosening as the temperature rises. 

If the ice is really bad on the camper turn your furnace on max for half an hour to melt the ice then use a broom to sweep the chunks off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

I usually lift my roof in winter (camper in barn) to keep the 'fabric' unfolded not creased. When I left it outside stored I'd unlatch the clamps to let it flex. I am in New England and we can get below zero temps for periods of time. I think aluminum contracts in the cold so I like to take all pressure off parts. I think you'll be fine ... 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#4 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

Thanks

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:23 AM

Dennis, the rule that ATC gave me for adjusting clamps is...  with normal weight on the roof, the clamp threaded flange should not wiggle side to side.  Pulling down with moderate pressure on the roof, the threaded flange should wiggle a small amount.

If you need to reset the clamps, try that method.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users