37 replies to this topic

#1 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'm new to the board, not new to TC's.

I previously owned a ginormous AF, had her on a Dodger 3500 DRW. Spent about another $3k beefing up the suspension, and $4k on a Stable Lift system. Still was too much camper. Driving down the road on anything but a perfect day had me all over the road.

For those reasons, I just never used it. Ended up selling it in 2006.

Flash forward 3 years, I'm in another Dodger - 2004 2500 gas/crew/short, with a topper. Now I'm sleeping in the bed twice a week.

I'm rugged, but evidently not that rugged.

I need a camper I can leave on 24/7/365, not kill the truck, not expand my parking lot footprint, and give me just a little more comfort.

Yes, there is the Caribou, and the Hallmark, in addition to the Hawk, but the Hawk is just flat out perfect looking for what I have in mind.

Since the used market is so slim, I will probably order a new one.

Right now, as I await my motorcycle to sell in order to fund this process, I'm even thinking why not just go with the shell - add in the sofa/fold out, and go bare bones. It will still be much better than what I've been doing.

In my past experience with the Arctic Fox - I don't think I ever used the sink or the stove. I brought all the water inside, and microwaved all my food.

I think saving the $3k might be the smart choice. I'm not looking to live in the camper - just a place to sleep a couple days a week.

Any input?

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

Welcome,
If you're patient one will come up but they go very quickly. Even the expensive ones and the crappy ones.

Stan @ FWC usually has a list of folks selling their campers and is a good resource. I'm betting my buddy mtn-high in CO is already on the job looking for one for you.

Edited by chnlisle, 27 May 2009 - 09:23 PM.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

I sent an email to FWC, so we'll see what happens on that front - Heck yeah, if I can find a fairly new used Hawk, I'll pick it up forthwith... My credit union can float me some cash until the motorcycle sells.

I've slept in the bed of the truck under the camper shell for the last couple months, another couple won't kill me.

#4 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Yeah on the shell. It'll get you what you need. I think they even do a furnace only for the shell, if having some warmth is something you like. I do.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

If I was starting from scratch I'd get a shell with propane box and furnace installed. Then build out from there to my liking (or just leave it open if that is what you prefer). I'd give some thought to whether you'd ever consider having water connections, etc. and if so have the factor install them in places that would work with wherever you'd mount the various components. Maybe go with a compressor fridge if I wanted one. I actually like the stove and sink I put in my rig for convince (easy to flip the lid and heat some water, or wash out a dish in the sink basin and dump down the drain) but having them flush mount w/ glass covers means I'm not loosing counter space having them there.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

When I was looking I thought about buying a shell model but was told...at least for an FWC...that the systems needed for water\/drains\etc. could not be installed because the frame on a shell model is different than a fullly-equipped model and the "runs" needed for plumbing/elec are non-existent. (There's an extra full-length side window if I'm not mistaken).
When I asked what kinda job retrofitting one to accept these itmes would be FWC told me even they don't entertain tackling such jobs. (would cost more (in beer) than just buying a fully functional rig in the long run) LOL.

ATC may be a different story. I didn't check with them/look at any of their shell models/etc.

FWIW I went through (and complained here) the search for a used Hawk last Spring/Summer and ended up ordering a new one after searching for about 4 months daily. (just do it) LOL. This year I'm seeing even FEWER USED models out there....lots less in fact.... and the prices are high/high/high for any/all used models out there but the OLDEST ones...many of which are here in CO.

I've never had sucha hard time spending $$$........ LOL.

good luck

mtn

Edited by mtn-high, 27 May 2009 - 07:40 PM.

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#7 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

Mtn,

Yeah, I've encountered the low number of used FWC on the market, and am probably just going to order one in the next few weeks.

I will probably just go with the Hawk with no options, and go from there, but until I order one, I'll keep looking hard. I have a little software application that checks all of the local craigslists against any keywords that you enter in. You just load the keyword strings, select the cities, and start it running and it does a search every 5 minutes against your criteria. If it finds something that matches the string it emails it to me.

So far it is searching about 75 markets for me and has yet to send me any emails. There was one in Phoenix on the 21st, and it was sold before I could even call to find out if it was a Hawk, or an 8' model.

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Another vote here for the shell with the propane/furnace installed. Not being cold is half the reason for getting these things. I can tell you that I have never met a guy that got a camper without the furnace that didn't regret it.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

When I was looking I thought about buying a shell model but was told...at least for an FWC...that the systems needed for water\/drains\etc. could not be installed because the frame on a shell model is different than a fullly-equipped model and the "runs" needed for plumbing/elec are non-existent. (There's an extra full-length side window if I'm not mistaken).
When I asked what kinda job retrofitting one to accept these itmes would be FWC told me even they don't entertain tackling such jobs. (would cost more (in beer) than just buying a fully functional rig in the long run) LOL.

ATC may be a different story. I didn't check with them/look at any of their shell models/etc.

I've ready numerous reports of ATC working with the customer on these items. Not sure why FWC wouldn't, just build the normal frame but don't trim it out with the extra stuff on the interior...

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I've ready numerous reports of ATC working with the customer on these items. Not sure why FWC wouldn't, just build the normal frame but don't trim it out with the extra stuff on the interior...

ATC will build pretty much whatever you pay them to.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users