• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the great photos. Last year someone tipped me to the Lake MacDonald Lodge as a good place for breakfast. Beautiful building with a nearly walk in fireplace of stone. I can't really afford staying in these places but they make a good breakfast stop. Also Zion and Grand Canyon Lodges.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#22 ednotes

ednotes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

Spoiler! :P

If you're coming to P.D, you'd best not without letting us know first; to a Texan it's right in our backyard!

Barney, if your coming to P.D. you best let me know as I do want us to break bread (or should I say tacos) together. Be well my friend.

#23 ednotes

ednotes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

Aw Mark, 59 and 32-39 is just a cool spell for a Montana summer, keeps us from getting all sweaty and everything. Actually, Yellowstone weather is notoriously unpredictable, being perched on the Continental Divide like that. A couple of years ago I took a mid-May motorcycle trip down there. I froze my a** off on the way down, then rode around the park in a t-shirt in 70 degree weather. I always keep my down vest handy here.

Hey Barney,
That weather keeps your tush a bit frozen, ya know. Thank Mark for buying such wonderful sleeping bags. My tushie survived the unperdictable weather.

#24 ednotes

ednotes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

This is the best trip report yet! The videos add so much more to the experience. I'm glad to hear Edna did some adventurous stuff (even if she doesn't realize yet how much fun it was).

I look forward to the rest of it.

Edo,

I'd like to think I'm not like many women out there. I DID the adventure. I survived to tell about it. You should hear and see the squirming I get when I share the adventure. :D

#25 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Sidebar

<snip> I'm not like many women out there. I DID the adventure. <snip> :D

[My beloved, you're still doing it.] The trip report was interrupted for awhile, because we had to take another trip... back to the hospital. :( That helped us both to recognize just how fortunate we were to have good health while out camping. Edna, you are a brave and beautiful adventure companion! I need to finish this report now while the memories are still fresh!

People

Several folks contacted us to offer their hospitality and advice. We contacted realbtl and spent an hour or so hanging out with him...

Posted Image

We called davinski and attempted to meet up for a weekend at Rimrock Lake in Washington. We found the lake and drove around for a couple hours (great spot, and humongous) but alas, we never managed to connect with Dave, his brother and friend. Great camping spot, though; we enjoyed ourselves there:

Posted Image

We hadn't realized why yet, but it's difficult to connect folks who are working and doing stuff with folks who are just blowing around. We kept trying, though.

#26 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:15 AM

Food

Edna's a Mexican girl... so, typically, we eat Mexican when we're camping. Here's Edna whipping up a batch of fajitas (with very little help from her husband) :o ...

Step 1
Posted Image
Prepare the ingredients. (Don't ask me to list them, but maybe Edna will reply to this post...)

Step 2
Posted Image
Cook the steaks. Those are cilantro stems; most of the leaves were used in Edna's salsa picante. (Hey, did you notice the subtle inclusion of our FWC factory table in the previous picture? :D )

Step 3
Posted Image
I'm not really sure what's going on here, but it seems like a third step. There's lots of activity around the Coleman stove and the FWC table, so it must be important... Edna?!?

Step 3a
Posted Image
It's right about now that Edna remembers some obscure ingredient that she needs immediately, so I go dig it out following Edna's voice commands, "In the little cabinet over the couch, on the left hand side... It's got a black top and the label says, pepper." :blink:

Step 4
Posted Image
With the salsa picante and the guacamole prepared -and notice the pepper, by the way- we're almost ready to eat. But first...

Step 5
Posted Image
I'm not sure what Edna calls this step, but she basically puts the tortillas right on the burner of the Colman stove, two at a time. Then she flips 'em once, then she picks them up with her fingers, pulls them apart and puts the two burnt sides together and plops the pair back on the burner again. Finally she flips the pair once more to burn the last of the four sides. As you can see, this is pretty serious business...

Step 6
Posted Image
... The presentation...

Thanks, Edna!
Posted Image

#27 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:30 AM

That's a grand adventure. I love Mexican food.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#28 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

Food

Edna's a Mexican girl... so, typically, we eat Mexican when we're camping. Here's Edna whipping up a batch of fajitas (with very little help from her husband) :o ...

Oh, man, now I'm drooling on my keyboard. I'd better go eat something. Wish it was fajitas. :thumb:

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#29 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:05 AM

Mark:

Thems looks like very very good eats. Would have loved to meet up with you that day. There was a burn ban in effect and so we could not have a campfire. We had to cook our ribs on the stove. Never as good as the open flame. Would have loved to share with your beautiful meal. Would have been really tasty. I think I smelled it from just down the road. A few cold beers would have really topped it off. YUM.

Next time, for sure. Get your radio license and we can connect up that way.

Dave in Seattle

#30 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

<snip>Get your radio license and we can connect up that way.

Dave in Seattle

For me, this is the most important next 'mod' to the camper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users