• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

My wife and I decided to run this trail since I had seen it mentioned a few times and it looked interesting photographically. We took my recently acquired 2001 Tundra with a high top camper shell. We did not reserve a campsite ahead of time but when we went to the visitor center some people had canceled their reservations. We stayed in Moab for the night and took out on Monday morning. You can enter the trail from the Shafer switchbacks end or the other end near the Horsethief campground. We entered from the latter since our first campsite was nearer that end.

The first few miles were not much, just arid high desert. But once you drop down the first switchback down to the Green River the eye candy begins. Seriously after a few days you get overwhelmed by the beauty, Between the surrounding high plateaus and the eroding canyons that you are driving right next to it is a rare treat to be able to access such beauty in a National Park.

Be aware you must be totally self sufficient. Bring lots of water and make sure your gas tank is full. The sites do have well maintained vault toilets.There is no cell service in the Canyon. The first night we camped in the Hardscrabble site and we were it. The other site was unoccupied. There was probably not another person for 20 miles. We shared a night with the locusts in the bushes. It was nice to sleep on the platform in the shell. Did not have to sleep on the ground.

Weather was great. Low 70s daytime. Quite windy at times.

Came out third day, went to Arches the next and drove towards Williams AZ to see my brother while taking a side trip up into the Manti La Sal mountain range east of Moab.

http://keithbarnes.s...688981134_89ECY
http://keithbarnes.s...684877824_vFTqq
http://keithbarnes.s...686983608_kzvXV
http://keithbarnes.s...688014899_Y8598

Keith and Jeanne Barnes
La Mesa CA

Attached Thumbnails

• mg_5141.jpg
  • wrtdayone-085.jpg

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Keith,
Its 0630 and we are loaded and rolling. Next stop Goldmine camp in Bluff and White Rim on Monday. See Y'all next week.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#3 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Keith,
Its 0630 and we are loaded and rolling. Next stop Goldmine camp in Bluff and White Rim on Monday. See Y'all next week.

I was just mapping out campgrounds on the white rim trail yesterday. I have done it several times but the last time I was on it was roughly 12 years ago. I was, just in the last week thinking I would like to do a fall trip there again. I don't know if I can get away but may try in the next two weeks or so. The pictures above have really convinced me that really want to go do the WRT again very soon. Especially since I am looking outside at the snow falling, as I write this! Posted Image

Thanks for the pic's Keith, and Chnlisle, enjoy the trip!

Good camping.

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

Great pics dorocks! The WRT sure is quite the adventure. Sensory overload for sure.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:30 AM

pretty nice...............

We will have to add this to the list.

Do you think a 4 Runner pulling a short lightweight Casita trailer could do it? Or would they even let you?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Not sure what the rules are Patrick but I would advise against it. I needed to make several multipoint turns just coming down the Shafer Trail in my DC Tundra (which is flat and easy otherwise). That's not even considering some of the rough and rocky ascents in the middle of the trail. I'd say leave the Casita at a campground and tent camp it.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

^^^ X2

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

Thanks....those pictures with the switch backs look tight.

Just have to do the planned mods to the 4 Runner and park the Casita. Winter and Spring projects...we'll see.....

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

Thanks....those pictures with the switch backs look tight.

Just have to do the planned mods to the 4 Runner and park the Casita. Winter and Spring projects...we'll see.....

Now I don't think you need to mod the 4Runner at all to do the WRT. I wouldn't worry about the 4Runner at all. I just don't think you want to drag the Casita through there. I'm actually kinda surprised you two haven't done the WRT yet, given your appreciation for the Moab area...

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Now I don't think you need to mod the 4Runner at all to do the WRT. I wouldn't worry about the 4Runner at all. I just don't think you want to drag the Casita through there. I'm actually kinda surprised you two haven't done the WRT yet, given your appreciation for the Moab area...

It is the inside that needs the mod. Pull the back seat and make a platform for storage and sleeping. I looked at the links for that roof mount tent as you suggested, but just too pricey for the limited time using it.

There are way too many cool places to see in Utah and within time we are checking them off. I can't wait for retirement!!!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users