18 replies to this topic

#1 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

Just thought I'd say hello and introduce myself as a new FWC owner. Today I ordered a Loaded Hawk model and am looking forward to receiving it in mid September!

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:31 AM

Hi Pac,

Welcome to the board! What truck do you have? I'm in Bend also, let me know if I can help you with any questions you may have.

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

Congratulations on the new purchase!

I bet September has never seemed so far away - ;)

#4 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

Dirty Dog:

I have a 2006 silver Ford F250. I live out on Century Drive in the Braebern subdivision. Perhaps I'll see you around town?:)

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

Sounds good paclow. Where is your first trip going to be?

#6 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

Perhaps a weekend trip to the coast to visit friends but most likely a week long trip to eastern Oregon to go deer hunting in early October

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

Be sure you have you water system completely drained this winter. I thought that simply not using the camper for a couple months in the fall would have been sufficient, but I was wrong and my water pump was ruined. I didn't find out until I was on a week long trip so I didn't have water the whole time.

When I first got my camper I took a March trip to the Alvord Desert. It was relatively warm and after a long winter it's nice to get out.

Keep me updated on any good camping destinations you find - I'm always on the lookout.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper-steens.jpg

#8 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:06 PM

Dirty Dog:

I have a question for you... I am thinking about dumping the luggage rack on my order and getting only the Yakima setup. I have a ton of Yakima stuff and really can't think of any use for the luggage rack that I couldn't use the Yakima rack for. I was thinking about adding two more towers for a total of four. I could use my Yakima Load Warrior basket and Yakima Rocket Box as well my Yakima bike racks ... What do you think?

Thanks!

Philip

#9 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

Dirty Dog:

Second question for you....What do you think of the awning option. Stan at FWC said it would be easy to add later so I did not get one. Do you think I should go ahead and change my order to include one?

Thanks!

Philip

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:51 PM

Keep in mind that you need to arrange your rack accessories in such a way so that you can still open your fan vent. Also, the more accessories you put up there, the more difficult (or impossible) it is to raise your roof by yourself. Regarding the bike racks, I just use fork blocks and hang the bikes off the back. If you use standard bike attachments, I imagine getting the bikes on the roof will be a difficult job. You will also have all the added height of the bikes when you are driving, adding to your wind resitance.

In general, I think Yakima is a better choice than the luggage racks. Just keep in mind that carrying all of your attachments and gear on top of the camper might not be practical.

Regarding the awning - I like mine. IMO it's much easier to get things installed at the factory rather than adding them one at a time as you decide you need them. Also, you can rest assured that the part that is the absolute best fit will be selected at the factory. I'm sure that there are other users here that like to customize their own gear and would disagree with me however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users