418 replies to this topic

#351 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

are too short for the outside. I checked.

I doubt they will be cheap. The 40lb are $95. But at least this gives us an option beside FWC. Driving 3+ hours to the only dealer in the East so I can pay them to do something I can do myself in the driveway is not appealing. FWC seems to forget that their customers are the ones who showed them how to do this mod!!!!!

Yes,thanks to "The Saints" from Santa Cruz to finding this mod and making it a "need" item.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#352 liftedlimo

liftedlimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, wa

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

Found from the info in this thread I ordered the Suspa C16-19198 60lbs. They work great but without a load on top they are hard-ish to get the roof down in the front. I started with the 80lbs struts but they only worked when I had 2 kayaks and a child on the roof(don't tell momma bear)! I might order the 40lbs to finish this process, or leave it be. I had grand plans to add solar panels, kayaks, bikes, etc and that never happened. The brackets were like $25 bucks for 4. My roof lifters have been working great for 2+ years now(May 2015) and look nearly new. No need to get crazy custom made lift shocks, just go to Amazon for $24 each shipped.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 

https://www.amazon.c...J7J2G6R3BW&th=1

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170807_133541 (1)-002.jpg

Edited by liftedlimo, 31 August 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#353 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Yep 36" are easy and cheap. But they are NOT long enough for those of us with Eagles and Fleets. That's why the 40" are custom. They just make a few of them.

#354 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Just changed out my 20 lb. struts for 30 lb.  Much better now.  Ron

#355 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Yep 36" are easy and cheap. But they are NOT long enough for those of us with Eagles and Fleets. That's why the 40" are custom. They just make a few of them.

I've got a Finch and use 34" inside. Does it really take 4" more if they are mounted on the outside?

Just last week I went from 50lbs to 75lbs for my internally mounted lifter thingys. Tried 125lbs with my empty shower tube mounted and it was a no go. The 75lb ones lift it fine with no water inside. We'll see how they work with it filled. Might have to go with 100lbs. If anyone needs some 34" 50lb gas struts let me know.

Edited by ETAV8R, 14 February 2018 - 10:58 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#356 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

Yes, it does take the longer ones on the outside for an Eagle or Fleet.  Ron

#357 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

Yes it's a different closing angle. My Eagle uses 36" on the inside. But when I mocked them up on the outside the angle is wrong. To span the open amount they are too vertical and won't be able to compress when closing.

I have a question for folks that have converted from inside to outside struts. My Eagle had 60lb inside which were just fine with nothing on the roof. Once I added roof rack and a Glass 160 watt panel it was a very touch lift. I upgraded the inside to 80lb each and it helped a little. I can do it but it's heavy. Space is tight for my big old self inside until the roof goes up. So I've been using a speaker lift as well.

I'm getting ready to buy the struts for the outside to convert. Is there a same weight translation from 2 inside struts to 4 outside? As in I have to 80lb inside. Is that exactly the same as 4 40lb on the outside. On paper both applications are 160lb of lift. Or does the location make a difference? I still haven't accounted for the addition of the Road Shower on the racks yet either. Which will be used occasionally. 5 gallons of water up there.

I'm thinking of going with 4 50lb on the outside and then using my old inside struts as needed when additional weight is on the roof.

Comments and opinions?

Edited by Squatch, 15 February 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#358 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

squatch,

I have a 265w Glass panel on the roof.  About 44 pounds.  40# struts front and 30# rear - outside.  Once the initial 1" or so of lift is done the hard way (pushing!) they are essentially neutral, meaning they don't go up or down unless assisted.  I have to push slightly or pull slightly to raise/lower them.  Perfect.

#359 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

It may be that the geometry of the struts is somewhat different from inside to outside. Also having a certain amount of lift at each end instead of in the center might make quite a difference. Since you actually lift one end at a time. I'm thinking that mounted on each end you get more help when lifting that end. With the center mounted inside struts when you lift one end the struts are still trying to lift the entire roof.

#360 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Squatch, you'll need 30 lb. struts front and rear with what you have on top now, may be a little different when you add 5 gallons of water. They suggest not using anything over 30 lb. strut without the load on top, said it will damage the roof structure. I have a 150 watt solar panel. I do actually have to pull down a bit on the roof to help it start down. Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users