#371 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

Thanks Vic!

I just ordered the C16-22241 from Suspa.  3-4 week lead time.  Not an issue.

I have the factory inside struts at the forward bulkhead which easily lift the front of the camper.  The wife is having great difficulty (impossible really) raising the rear.  I was leaning towards the 40# for the rear, but that seems to be a bit much even with the solar panel on the roof.  30# in the rear seems perfect as you and others have stated.

Thanks for the "how to" pics!

Bill

Bill, the speaker lift does a good job raising the roof if you don't want to go with gas struts.   They are a bit clumsy, but effective.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#372 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

Bill, the speaker lift does a good job raising the roof if you don't want to go with gas struts.   They are a bit clumsy, but effective.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion Steve!

I'm only installing the gas struts/springs on the rear.  The wife can not lift the rear into place.  It is a bit heavy and you have to use your legs to push the roof up into place.  Not sure where I'd stow the speaker lift as we are already tight on space.

We have the inside struts and they work well lifting the front of the roof into place.  I opted to not have exterior struts installed when I placed the order.  Saw them as a corrosion point and I have no trouble raising the roof.  I didn't consider the wife camping with her friends and not being able to raise the roof!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#373 john cotterman

john cotterman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

I just replaced all four 30 pounders with 40 pounders on my 2016 Fleet. I have a solar panel as well as a small storage box on top. It makes up and down much easier. I got them from Gemini in Canada, $25 ea. What I am not seeing much of in this discussion, however, is the technique of closing the camper door and using the roof fan to assist the raising and lowering. Exhaust the air out when lowering the roof, direct the fan in when raising (like inflating a balloon). I find, with a little added patience, that this help greatly...maybe even the equivalent of 10 pounds of lift. Lowering while having the fan sucking the air out also pulls in the vinyl sides and practically eliminates having any vinyl sticking out that needs to be tucked in once the roof is down.

Edited by john cotterman, 10 April 2018 - 01:54 PM.

2014 Tacoma Prerunner V6 2WD TRD Off Road

2016 Fleet Shell

#374 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:02 PM

I just replaced all four 30 pounders with 40 pounders on my 2016 Fleet. I have a solar panel as well as a small storage box on top. It makes up and down much easier. I got them from Gemini in Canada, $25 ea. What I am not seeing much of in this discussion, however, is the technique of closing the camper door and using the roof fan to assist the raising and lowering. Exhaust the air out when lowering the roof, direct the fan in when raising (like inflating a balloon). I find, with a little added patience, that this help greatly...maybe even the equivalent of 10 pounds of lift. Lowering while having the fan sucking the air out also pulls in the vinyl sides and practically eliminates having any vinyl sticking out that needs to be tucked in once the roof is down.

I always close the door and put the fan on high exhaust when closing, pulls the canvas in perfectly.  Ron

#375 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

The exhaust fan is worth it if only used for popping down. [emoji106]

#376 boxturtle

boxturtle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationsouthern Oregon

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

John Cotterman do you know the part #s for ordering the 40# struts from Gemini? sounds like the way to go. thanks

#377 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:24 AM

Does anyone know the limit for lift height if we want to be able to use the helper shocks? I need to make a new canvas for the top I'm rebuilding and would like to know at which point I'm making it impossible to use the s shocks. I don't expect I can get 42"lift that is needed to be able to sit up in bed and still use them. [emoji14]

#378 The R1G Master

The R1G Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Wow what a thread......  Did not have time to read it all but it seems dead now.  Here's what I got.   I have purchased the lift system from FWC. It is going on a 2007 Eagle.  I need some clarification on the install process.  I there anyone here that has done this successfully DIY??? 

WandererOfTheEast B) 

#379 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

Did you read pages 4 and on?

The Saints and myself posted the way we mounted our struts.

This thread has a lot of info on doing the job your self.

It's not very hard as long as you have the parts.

My post has the part #s for the Supsa lifters and the brackets.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#380 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:42 PM

I think I read every thread on mounting the struts but I feel like I missed something. I hope someone can fill me in. I have a Grandby  camper I order the 40lbs struts, I assume these are a good size.

More important where did you mount the pivot points. Does anyone have a measurement off center of the camper? Or is everyone mounting the lower pivot an 'inch' off the center of the camper. Then lift the roof and extend the strut and 'eye ball' the location for the upper mount point.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users