12 replies to this topic

#1 David_h

David_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

I've seen discussion on the pros/cons of load range D vs E tires, but my 1/2 ton F150 supercrew 4x4 has load range C tires and there does not seem to be a D range tire in that size with all terrain tread, 275-65/18. I know the E tire is overkill for a 1/2 ton truck but is seems that the C tire does not leave a lot of margin with 2600 lb rating at 44 psi. I am using a fully loaded Hawk on the 5-1/2 foot bed so it hangs out the back a foot or so; and so there is more weight on the rear axle. One person suggested maybe E tires on rear axle and C tires on front axle. Also, I'd need to confirm that the alloy wheels can take up to 80psi with the E tires as I've heard of wheel failures (mostly steel wheels though). I'd be interested in hearing about the ride quality with E tires on 1/2 ton trucks, especially with the camper off, since I frequently take the camper off.
Thanks

Dave
'06 Hawk - '05 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
Mill Valley, CA

PS- upcoming trips includes Death Valley April 7-9, Eastern Sierra April 29-May 3
David H 2005 Hawk 2008 F250 SuperCab 4x4 Mill Valley, CA

#2 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

I like 'E' because of the extra plies and the flat resistance. Mileage was unaffected, even though the pressure went from 44 to 80 psi.

My truck has a solid front axle, which is the lowest stave in the ride comfort barrel.

#3 David_h

David_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

I like 'E' because of the extra plies and the flat resistance. Mileage was unaffected, even though the pressure went from 44 to 80 psi.

My truck has a solid front axle, which is the lowest stave in the ride comfort barrel.

Thanks Mark,
Your truck looks like a 3/4 ton. My 1/2 ton rides pretty good now except over bumps and/or corners (for ride quality I prefer my '72 Jag). I would expect a stiffer ride with load range E tires. I forgot to mention that I've installed Air Lift bags and Helwig rear sway bar.
Dave

#4 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

I've seen discussion on the pros/cons of load range D vs E tires, but my 1/2 ton F150 supercrew 4x4 has load range C tires and there does not seem to be a D range tire in that size with all terrain tread, 275-65/18. I know the E tire is overkill for a 1/2 ton truck but is seems that the C tire does not leave a lot of margin with 2600 lb rating at 44 psi. I am using a fully loaded Hawk on the 5-1/2 foot bed so it hangs out the back a foot or so; and so there is more weight on the rear axle. One person suggested maybe E tires on rear axle and C tires on front axle. Also, I'd need to confirm that the alloy wheels can take up to 80psi with the E tires as I've heard of wheel failures (mostly steel wheels though). I'd be interested in hearing about the ride quality with E tires on 1/2 ton trucks, especially with the camper off, since I frequently take the camper off.
Thanks

Dave
'06 Hawk - '05 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
Mill Valley, CA

PS- upcoming trips includes Death Valley April 7-9, Eastern Sierra April 29-May 3

Hey Dave,

I also have a 150 four door, and it was sold with C's on it as well. I put Ride-Rite air bags on in anticipation of picking up my camper. It was easy to do myself, and it is great to be able to adjust the ride depending on whether I have the camper on or not. The "C" rated tires however, were too soft in the sidewalls, which resulted in too much sway. When I put Load range "E" rated tires on I couldn't believe the difference. The swaying totally disappeared, and there was no dipping when taking corners. I also like more plies for the same reason when in the back-country. I am confident you will see a huge difference when you go to Load Range "E". I do air down when the truck is empty and the ride is not affected too much when I do that.

Good luck,

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#5 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Ride quality will vary greatly depending on the truck and the PSI, and to some extent I'd also consider what other suspension mods the truck has.

My tacoma has load range D tires with airbags and rides like a tank with no camper. With camper on and loaded, tires at 55 and bags @ 30 or so, it rides like it should. OTOH, my 03 Tundra has E tires and is PLUSH @ 35 PSI. I inflate to 50 on trips, but that's really just for the gas mileage. Ride quality noticeably diminishes.

With 18" wheels, (personally) I'd probably shy away from E range tires. Not a lot of sidewall there compared to a 16 or 17", so an 8 ply tire is already going to be somewhat less forgiving right off the bat. Not very many circumstances would I consider C range tires acceptable for use on a truck with a camper.

While tire ply alone isn't the end-all be-all of measurements, I still consider it to be the best generic guideline. Really though you should pay most attention to the specific tire's weight rating or max load, and secondly to the contact patch.

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

I just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65-20's on my 1500, so far I like the tires but I haven't been out on a trip yet. I went E range based on the side sway and puncture resistance issues. I'm only running them around 45 right now since I'm not loaded up.

I'd never run them at 80 on my rig as I'd never have enough weight in it to justify it and would just end up with a horrible ride.

Tirerack shows the same tires available for your size by the way, ~$190/tire: http://www.tirerack....TSOWL&tab=Sizes
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#7 David_h

David_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

I just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65-20's on my 1500, so far I like the tires but I haven't been out on a trip yet. I went E range based on the side sway and puncture resistance issues. I'm only running them around 45 right now since I'm not loaded up.

Tirerack shows the same tires available for your size by the way, ~$190/tire: http://www.tirerack....TSOWL&tab=Sizes

Thanks all,
So far looks like two positive experiences with E range tires on 1/2 ton and no negative. The Goodyear Wrangler AT/S was the tire I was looking at except without the white letters. The current C range tires are also Goodyear Wrangler SilentARmor. I've placed my order with TireRack for the E range AT/S; too bad no D range tires available. Next week I'll install the tires and report back on the ride without camper and then put the camper on and make a second report. Since I have the air bags and sway bar, next might be better shocks.
Dave
Marin County, CA

#8 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

I too went threw the same ordeal. Ended up with Toyo open country LR.E on my Dodge 1/2t Quad Cab. The ride is a little harder but no problem. 3/4 ton tire on a 1/2 ton is over kill, but that is what the rubber company's are going to. The day's of buying 6pr, 8pr, 10pr, and even 12pr, in the same size, is gone................
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

Thanks all,
So far looks like two positive experiences with E range tires on 1/2 ton and no negative. The Goodyear Wrangler AT/S was the tire I was looking at except without the white letters. The current C range tires are also Goodyear Wrangler SilentARmor. I've placed my order with TireRack for the E range AT/S; too bad no D range tires available. Next week I'll install the tires and report back on the ride without camper and then put the camper on and make a second report. Since I have the air bags and sway bar, next might be better shocks.
Dave
Marin County, CA

To late now but discount tire price matches tirerack.com for anyone else interested.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#10 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

David, the ride should be fine on the F150 with E rated tires with the right tire pressure.
I had E rated tires installed on my mother's 2003 Expedition (265s I believe with 17" wheels) to help stability when she is pulling her travel trailer. There is considerably less sway when towing and the empty ride is fine.

I was going to suggest looking at 285s if you were stuck on looking for D rated tires, as they will fit your truck just fine.

I would love to see some pictures of your F150 and Hawk though. I have a 2006 F150 Crew Cab FX4 and I'm hoping to buy a Hawk or similar sized pop-up in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users