21 replies to this topic

#1 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia Canada

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hi im new here ive recently purchased a 2010 Tacoma access cab 4x4 i would like to add a four wheel camper to either a finch or an eagle shell most likely i want to be light.

Its very apparent to me that there are some challenges to mounting the camper to this trucks composite bed ive seen a bad photo of a bracket im not thrilled about and was wondering if you guys had any other options , better photos of the bracket ,or any tips on any problems or concerns i should be aware of before i decide how to mount it.

thanks in advance this seems to be one of the best forums for four wheel camper info an chit chat

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:38 AM

I used Torklift tie downs in front and eye bolts and turnbuckles inside the bed in back with large washers to distribute the load. ATC supplied the washers for the back. Pictures at http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/2530/ give a little info as to the mounting. Eye bolts through the jack mounting holes in front supply the camper mounting point. So far, so good.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

I've the same setup as Argonaut20. It's on the truck since 2006 and I've been to race track in Death Valley. All seems to be still in pretty good condition. You can see my setup in my sig line.

#4 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

OH ya ive seen both those trucks i actually thought it was one truck lol im glad to hear about the eye loops in the rear i was hoping to use internal turn buckles in the bed but that definately looks strong.

My idea was to attach supports to the frame under the bed and cut holes thru the bed and install those retractable hooks that you can get for the bed rails on older domestics into the supports thru the bed and turn buckle to those. Then they can be retracted when not in use. Depending on what those front tie downs are worth it might not be much more money to fab something like this.

Im suprised their is so little discussion on this subject as these trucks and campers are a popular combo i just wanna here as many differant setups before i decide on one.

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

I choose the Torklift because it's spring loaded. If the truck hits a bump/ditch there is some give in the tie down so the attach point will not break on the camper or the truck. Another member had a last gen Taco with FWC and he hit a bump on a dirt road in Baja IIRC the impact was enough to break the attach point on the camper. Later he got a 05+ Taco he switch to Torklift. I might be overly cautious since many members use the tie down setup from FWC without issue. :lol: BTW, I only attach 1 tie down in the rear so the camper is only tie down in 3 points so the truck frame can flex without fighting with the camper. Tacoma has a pretty flexy frame.

#6 Eldough

Eldough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

We use D-rings held in place by the bolts that secure the composite bed to the frame; and the turnbuckles. So far so good. However, we do not drive rough off-road or washboard...mostly graded forest service roads...I wouldn't feel as safe with our setup on washboard and would likely opt for the steel bar underneath...which wouldn't be so bad because we already need to raise the camper to clear the truck bed rails. One thing I would be more comfortable with using our current setup would be the torklift turnbuckles...providing a little give at the right time. However, I don't think they are small enough to replace the turnbuckles. Also, with our RangerII, the front turnbuckles are very close to the camper...they fit...but it's a tight squeeze. Cheers!

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Each person will have different wants and needs.

We have installed approx. 400 campers on the new tacoma (2005 - 2010) trucks.

FWC spent the time to design a tie down system that works.

We really have had no problems to speak of.

We did find that the first batches of steel cross bars in the truck bed were not as beefey as we would of hoped for (we had a few bend slightly in the rear), but really no big deal.

We had our shop redesign and beef up the bracket, and since then there have been no problems that I have heard of.

If there were major problems, you all would know beacuse someone would be posting it on the forums.

:)

I'm prety sure our brackets are $ 350.00 (+ or ) for the set (plus tax and shiping).

But they work and you can have the benefit of the inturnal tie downs, if that is what you prefer.

I have Tork-Lift tie downs on my Ford F-150 for carrying the Six-Pac Campers.

Tork-Lift make a good product, but they will cost you some $$ too.

In the end you will have to make the final call on what you like and what you will be comfortable with.

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Happy Camping !

Attached Thumbnails

• TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 2.JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 1.JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 4.JPG
  • Tacoma Install Brackets # 11.JPG
  • Tacoma Install Brackets # 13.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for pointing out the fact that the torklift are spring loaded i hadnt realized that flex is a definate concern

Thanks for the photos that looks more appealing than the ones ive seen in the past but i have a couple of questions on the fwc brackets

1 in the photos i seen there was a large gap between bracket and the recessed groove in the bed under the head of the bolt the question is shouldnt their be a collar between the bracket and the bed to allow the it to be cinched down and lock the bolt from backing out ?

2 wouldnt the area between the brackets require a piece of wood or mat to support the middle of the camper floor ?

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

you wrote ...

<< in the photos i seen there was a large gap between bracket and the recessed groove in the bed under the head of the bolt the question is shouldnt their be a collar between the bracket and the bed to allow the it to be cinched down and lock the bolt from backing out ? >>

We do add backing there, as needed, and apply some sort of lock tight to the truck bed bolts when re-installing them.

<< wouldnt the area between the brackets require a piece of wood or mat to support the middle of the camper floor? >>

Yes, on all new campers we install a thick rubber bed mat in front of, in the middle of, and behind the steel cross bars. This gives the camper a nice flat surface to rest on, gives the truck bed some cushioning, and also add some "tackyness" so the camper is less likely to move or slide around on the smooth plastic truck bed. It is just not show in the pictures.

The first batch of photos posted earlier was of the original tie down bed bars.

The second batch of photos attached on this post are the newer, "beefier" brackets we have been using.

They are strong !

Attached Thumbnails

• Tacoma Bed Brackets 10.JPG
  • Tacoma Bed Brackets 11.JPG
  • Tacoma Bed Brackets 12.JPG
  • Tacoma Bed Brackets 13.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

Awesome im happy to hear there is some kinda a spacer between the bar and the bed as thats what holds the bed on and thanks for the pictures of the beefier bars thats option is a little more appealing now

Not to beat a dead horse but to many times ive bought things had problems then found out if i did some asking around others could have told me so

so these two methods of mounting are both very appealing for different reasons is their any other types of mounts out there people have in use that have yet to be discussed here ?

Anyone out there ever have any issues with the two mounting systems discussed above ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users