• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:41 AM

Well, as promised on other thead, I have a question about putting the Grandby on my short bed Ram 2500. As you can see, I'm looking at all my options. The FWC website FAQs says that if I leave my tailgate down, I can put the Grandby on a short bed. I have am pretty sure that weight wise, this is not going to be any problem. I got heavy duty on just about everything on the truck (one reason for the lousy mileage).

So I'm thinking, if I keep my truck, why not go with the most comfortable? Are there any issues that I am missing or should discuss with the FWC guys? I figure that it will hang past the bed about a foot and half, but I'm not sure that is a problem.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again, Ron

#2 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

I did this with a previous camper (not FWC) on my '97 F150. The only issues were no rear step or storage and the tailgate takes a real beating from flying rocks from the rear wheels.
Cheers
Mark

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

I've already dinged my rear bumper so that might be something to think about to. The factory bumpers are junk anyway so no big loss. Still the bumper is easier to replace than a tail gate. Or I should just learn how to drive.

#4 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:34 AM

I thought long and hard about this question.... Stan at FWC can send you a number if pictures of Grandby's on short bed trucks. I really do not think they look all that bad. I eventually went with the Hawk model. I travel mostly alone so the extra room of the Grandby was not really a factor. I really wanted the ability to pull a trailer or boat in the future so the Hawk model works better for me....F.Y.I.

#5 DesertDon

DesertDon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

I have had a Grandby on my extended cab short bed for 2 years. Per Four Wheel Campers, the tail gate must be left on in the down position to support the camper.

To date I have had no problems with rocks and dings on the trailgate. I suppose a rock guard of some type could be used to protect the tailgate if necessary.

I use an accordian sytle rear step that I store on the floor inside of the door. I put it on door mat to hold it in place.

#6 paclow

paclow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

F.Y.I.

I noticed a 2000 used Grandby on rvtrader.com tonight. It is located in Utah and looks pretty nice. Looks like you could get it for less than 8K.

Gotta move quick on used FWC's

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users