Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with your Four Wheel Camper?

1. Yes I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper (78 votes [80.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.41%

2. I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper, but with reservations (17 votes [17.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.53%

3. No I am not happy with my Four Wheel Camper (2 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:59 AM

I hope to publish a comprehensive Four Wheel Camper review later this year. Please add your thoughts and opinions here. What do you feel the strengths of the camper are? Weaknesses? What problems have you had? Overall are you happy with your FWC? (please answer poll).

#2 RaiderRed

RaiderRed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArvada and Leadville, Co.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Basically a good camper and well built. Had an issue with the water pump freezing. Anybody ever had to try to replace it? Lots of luck! You practically have to disasemble the camper to get to the pump. Also, Four Wheel makes a big deal about the lightweight issue. This is really bogus. The dry weight they list must be for a shell. My dry weight on the new Hawk is several hundred pounds above what the company advertises (740 pounds). So dont get suckered into thinking you are buying a real lightweight camper. That is not true. My loaded weight is almost double what the 740 pounds and it is not heavily loaded at all. Probably loaded lighter than most TCs. I would recommend Four Wheel, but dont put too much emphasis on the light weight issue, or you will be disappointed.

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Does this apply to ATC?

My ATC Bobcat weights around 900lbs with all the options, water and propane. I weighted it at ground scale.

#4 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:31 AM

I’m very happy with my 2008 FWC. I’d buy another one without question.

The only weakness I found when buying a new FWC is that Quality Control can be lacking (in my case anyway) when the final factory inspection is done. All warranty issues (some major) were cheerfully corrected under warranty, but it took two additional trips back to Woodland to get things straightened out.

My advice to anyone driving long distance to buy a new FWC and picking it up in Woodland is to allow an extra day to remain in the area and thoroughly check out all appliances, gadgets, fit & finish. Go to a local campsite overnight and try everything out to your satisfaction. If you find any glitches with the camper, it’ll only be a short drive back to the factory for resolution. It may save you the headaches and expense of a return trip to Woodland or dealing with out of town warranty repairs.

All in all, I'm still a happy FWC owner/camper. :)

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Also, Four Wheel makes a big deal about the lightweight issue. This is really bogus. The dry weight they list must be for a shell. My dry weight on the new Hawk is several hundred pounds above what the company advertises (740 pounds). So dont get suckered into thinking you are buying a real lightweight camper. That is not true. My loaded weight is almost double what the 740 pounds and it is not heavily loaded at all. Probably loaded lighter than most TCs. I would recommend Four Wheel, but dont put too much emphasis on the light weight issue, or you will be disappointed.

The listed weight is before options. What options do you have on your camper? FWC offers a weight list of the differant options. The little things really add up fast.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#6 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

I specked out all the options I want with the weight sheet for a Hawk. It comes out to just under 1200#. Yes I want most all the options!!!! :D

Still over 400# lighter than my current Northstar. Should make my half ton a Happy Camper!!! B)
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

The Lady and I are minimalists and enjoy the road less traveled. Exploration and getting to distant trailheads are the name of the game. Our FWC/ATC hybrid fits us well. It does its job and we are happy with its usefulness for us. There are things it excels at and others that are compromises. That's life. It is the adventure that counts. We pick and choose the tools that will help get us there. This was a good choice.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

The Lady and I are minimalists and enjoy the road less traveled. Exploration and getting to distant trailheads are the name of the game. Our FWC/ATC hybrid fits us well. It does its job and we are happy with its usefulness for us. There are things it excels at and others that are compromises. That's life. It is the adventure that counts. We pick and choose the tools that will help get us there. This was a good choice.

I am in the same boat as ski3pin. I was a climber, now a backpacker who just likes to find very remote and seldom visited places mostly by foot. The FWC was bought because we both lost our jobs and we needed a place to live. It did it's job and now we use it for the trail heads. Because of my camper, I was able to keep my home and stay out of financial trouble. (put a renter in the house) It was the only thing that would really work on our Ford Ranger truck. I am happy with it, and will keep it if my work takes a dive again. It is a survival tool.
I did not not care for any of the equipment that the factory offers and felt that I could equipt my camper with much better and safer options. The build quality is fine, and I have no complaints other than they put way too many screws in the roof. -Joel
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#9 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

strengths of the camper are?

minimizes the impact on the vehicle's off-road capabilites. next best step up from tent camping.

Weaknesses?

a better boot solution would be good. boot friction wears on front of camper.
the curtains are ok....i give....but some form of cover that "sticks" to the glass would be better. with a choice between opaque/translucent

What problems have you had?

small crack in siding at upper door corner.

Overall are you happy with your FWC?

what would i do without it? its key to our outdoor experience.

a simple improvement: on all of the two piece curtains - rather than a little velcro tab, use a full strip of velcro the whole lenght of the curtain.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#10 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

We really like out Kestral model. On a recent canyonland trip with some friends who bought a Hallmark pop-up, our lighter weight rig was able to fly over the rough roads. Of course they had a much more plush rig but FWC owners are probably not developed campgrd folks.
Bueno- 1. simplicity of the rig. 2. dinette set-up 3. frig 4. lg bed 5. velcro windows 6. low profile
complaints? It's really tough to pop-up for my wife. The leverage thing is tricky. 2. hot-water heater doesn't stay lit in any kind of wind 3. The ceiling material collects moisture and drips 4. galvinized water tank instead of the toxic plastic tank?

Attached Thumbnails

• kestral rack for web.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users