Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with your Four Wheel Camper?

1. Yes I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper (78 votes [80.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.41%

2. I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper, but with reservations (17 votes [17.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.53%

3. No I am not happy with my Four Wheel Camper (2 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

We really like out Kestral model. On a recent canyonland trip with some friends who bought a Hallmark pop-up, our lighter weight rig was able to fly over the rough roads. Of course they had a much more plush rig but FWC owners are probably not developed campgrd folks.
Bueno- 1. simplicity of the rig. 2. dinette set-up 3. frig 4. lg bed 5. velcro windows 6. low profile
complaints? It's really tough to pop-up for my wife. The leverage thing is tricky. 2. hot-water heater doesn't stay lit in any kind of wind 3. The ceiling material collects moisture and drips 4. galvinized water tank instead of the toxic plastic tank?

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#22 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

Strengths: I love the camper. It is very lightweight and thus I can travel down tough roads and not feel like I am in serious problems. I trust that welded frame. I can travel on the Washington ferries with paying extra due to the size. I get good gas mileage on my truck because it is light. I bought the shell, and I kept it simple when I constructed the interior. The more gadgets and stuff you have, the less free you are from technology breakdowns.

Disadvantages: Almost none. I love it. But I did have a problem with the strap that holds the lift mechanism at the back. It broke off and it was not easy to fix. But...didn't cost me a penny to fix it.

Other Comments: Well, by nature, I suspect we all want to go out there and find fault with stuff (along with everything in life; isn't it so easy). Frankly, I think this is a good product and a good company with caring people. I have had zero significant problems with my camper and I think it makes my camping experience a lot more fun than it was when I was in a tent (for 30 plus years)! And no...I don't work for 4-Wheel Campers and I ain't getting no kickback). The key to this product...simplicity...simplicity. Make it fancy...try to meet everyone's needs..you end up with a very expensive camper.

Enjoy

Chris
Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#23 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

I love my fwc and more importantly so does my wife. We have a converted coach for living the plush camp life but enjoy taking the fwc on real camping trips. We spent a month in Florida and loved it. We are now in Alaska and used it to take a 600 mile trip to Wrangle-St Elias Park. It rained all the time but we were dry and warm and comfortable.

Could be better:

1. Mattress

2. Lifting

3. Rusty hinges and lifts

Most liked:

1. light weight

2. well built

3. resale value

4. factory support

5. user group

6. low center of gravity

#24 Bajaxplorer

Bajaxplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

We are very happy with our '10 Hawk picked up in Woodland in March. Excellent advice someone gave to spend extra time near Woodland to make sure everything is good to go. We made a return trip and problems were fixed right away, thanks to great customer service. We are glad we got the couch. It is great for getting a couple of hours rest without being obvious while on the road.
Biggest complaint would have to be the water tank. After dozens of fillings, using apple cider vinegar, trying baking sodas, and flushing the tank repeatedly, there is a disgusting taste of plastic(?) that we cannot stand. We have to carry bottled water (from the same tap used to fill the tank) for drinking and coffee. Lifting the top is impossible for the wife. Considering the gas struts addition used in the ATC forum.
All in all we think that we made the best choice for a camper to fit our particular needs/desires.
BX

I'm lost, but I'm making good time. Beer is good food. Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon. Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy. Beer is water that has reached it's full potential.

#25 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

It's kind of funny that the survey results show 82% happy with the camper and 17% happy with reservations, but nearly all the posts on this page are "with reservations" oh well, here's mine:

Good: Compact, Aluminum frame, built & sold locally, good re-sale, good forum, does not really limit the trucks ability in any way.

Could do better: Lift system, it's time has long past. I know it's a fine line between weight, simplicity, minimalism, but for the $15,000+ these campers are selling for I expect some innovation in design and materials. The campers have really not advanced since they were first designed. I like to look at a product and say "wow that is really clever. I never would have thought of that" (see XPCamper) when I look at a FWC I think "I could probably make that in my garage" most of the parts are sourced from the RV industry which is to say they are pretty poorly made. I would love to see these campers made from marine grade components.

Overall: The FWC allows my family to go everywhere we went before the camper and adds a little comfort & convenience to keep us "out there" longer. When strangers ask about it I tell them it's like a fancy tent & I think that's pretty accurate. I enjoy my FWC.........but with reservations :)

#26 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Ditto the 6600 fan upgrade. I just installed the remote control kit in an existing 3-speed fan and the difference is amazing. With 14 speeds available we can run the fan continuously on a low setting without hearing it and provide constant venting. So far the remote control capacity isn't being used much but is a nice option to have. Sorry for being off subject here but wanted to share the fan information.

DLN ,

Could you please provide some more information on the remote control kit? Does it install on the existing Fantastic fan?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#27 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

The upgrade kit installs in your existing fan housing in about 40 minutes. It simply replaces the flat plastic that holds the switches and wiring with a more high tech motorized version of the same. We love it.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#28 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

FWIW.... I found the entire fan unit on ebay for just under $200. Most of the "upgrade" packages I see/saw when looking were about $150.

I chose to slap a complete unit in (6600) and have 2 FF's in the Hawk for the extra $50 rather than merely upgrading the existing fan from 3 speed to remote/16 speed. We don't camp much in hot weather but on a few trips south to NM we've had both fans roaring and the amount of airflow coming in the camper with both fans on is amazing. (roaring being the key word!)

As adjustable as it is, the 6600 should be standard issue in all FWC's, IMO. (at least make it an "option")

happy trails,

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#29 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

FWIW.... I found the entire fan unit on ebay for just under $200. Most of the "upgrade" packages I see/saw when looking were about $150.

I chose to slap a complete unit in (6600) and have 2 FF's in the Hawk for the extra $50 rather than merely upgrading the existing fan from 3 speed to remote/16 speed. We don't camp much in hot weather but on a few trips south to NM we've had both fans roaring and the amount of airflow coming in the camper with both fans on is amazing. (roaring being the key word!)

As adjustable as it is, the 6600 should be standard issue in all FWC's, IMO. (at least make it an "option")

happy trails,

mtn

it is! they will put in whatever you want. i asked Stan to put in two ShureFlo variable speed units. I like them!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#30 jmodge

jmodge

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGreenville, MI

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

I bought mine used. I never bothered to find what year mine is, but I think it is older than the 1990 Blazer it is mounted on. I could pick it apart, but for the age and the 4 grand I have in to it, I won't go there. I put all my projects aside last year and had an absolute blast with this thing. I have never seen another one in Michigan yet.
When people realize it is a Blazer, I see some real interesting expressions on their faces(I probably should take pictures of that along with some of the places we've been). I love it 100%, so do my girlfriend, daughter, and dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users