Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Four Wheel Campers Review - Member Input (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with your Four Wheel Camper?

1. Yes I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper (78 votes [80.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.41%

2. I am happy with my Four Wheel Camper, but with reservations (17 votes [17.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.53%

3. No I am not happy with my Four Wheel Camper (2 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 BurkeDroppings

BurkeDroppings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

After two outings, I do have a couple of "reservations..."

First, my Fleet Cajita's low roof is lower than I anticipated. The problem, actually, is not the roof, but the stuff attached to it that must be stored somewhere when the roof is down. It turns out the that end panels and tarp material significantly lower the effective ceiling and allow considerably less head room than I had calculated. In fact, there is so little vertical space that I can't sit or even realistically sleep in the camper with the roof down.

Obviously, being able to sleep and rest without popping is not exactly a "feature," but it was an expectation and I'm disappointed.

Second, despite being considerably shorter and lighter than other models, my roof is surprisingly hard to lift. The unforeseen reason is the lack of a mechanical advantage provided by leverage. The lift point on longer roofs is farther from the fulcrum, thus lessening the load. The push panels inside my no-overhang Cajita are very close to the centerpoint of the roof. Archimedes could have helped me foresee this reality; I just saw a lighter roof and failed to take leverage into consideration.

I'm pleased with my decision to go with the shell version (with just a roll-over couch/bed and LED lighting as amenities. I'm finding (so far) that putting my "stuff" in a couple of fairly sizeable containers and several smaller ones (including a few "stuff bags" that I can toss around) makes it possible to travel with most of the cargo on the floor and then to move those containers to the sides. This lowers my center of gravity (admittedly not much of a concern with my light rig) and makes it really easy to pack for a trip and then empty my rig for running errands around town with maximum cargo space available.

I'm also very pleased about the relative maneuverability of my outfit compared even to full-sized pickup-based rigs. I have an amazing turning radius and despite the fact that my Cajita extends beyond the sidewalls of the truck am still quite narrow compared to the big rigs. Based on only one measurement, it appears that fuel economy will be a plus; I scored 22.5 mpg driving in the Sierra foothills. And I really don't feel any difference in (handling camper on vs off). but I'm still adjusting to rear vision, which is awful.

I'm proud of myself for acting on a dream and any reservations about my choice of rigs is offset by feelings of satisfaction. I'm "on the road, again."

The photos are from my second outing: Mariposa, CA, where I attended the Tomato Festival last weekend (Sept. 24)

Attached Thumbnails

• fairgrounds camp.jpg
  • 110924MariposaTomatoFestival.jpg

B U R K E D R O P P I N G S
I'm a writer, leaving evidence that I was here.
My web site
David@BurkeDroppings.com

#42 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

The weight issue.

Since picking up our new Eagle shell May 8th 2012 we have driven over 1200 miles, summiting 7700' and 8400' passes. Experience cross winds on highway and hi Desert near Lone Pine, CA. We love the one piece roof, solid shutting door, the awning. Camper is very mild mannered in winds, fits our needs perfectly.

Our Tacoma truck is a 4 cylinder, 5 speed. The new Eagle shell is the third "camper" it has carried in it's 13 years. Weight has always been an issue due to the low torque 4 cylinder. If you've researched campers you have discovered most weigh around 1600 pounds dry. Wet - weight can climb to 3,000 or more. Full size campers require a 3/4 ton truck or larger.

Back in the day when our 4 kids lived at home we carried an 8' Lance on a 3/4 ton crew cab Chev with a 454 big block and towed a 16 foot ski boat. Gas prices were around $1.00 a gallon in the late '80's so the 8 mpg wasn't that big a deal.

Now it's just the two of us and we like nights in our shell, eating on a picnic table outside. We camp primarily in primitive camps down horrible wash board roads that would tear up a regular camper. The Eagle is perfect for our application. We also like the gas milege 20 mpg hiway, 18 around town (regular gas price is $4.25 a gallon in our area).

The GVWR of Tacoma is 5100 pounds. Bed empty no tailgate - 3600 pounds. Our Eagle shell with options - 840. All up weight without camping gear 4440 pounds leaving 660 pounds for people and camping gear.

The last "camper" it carried for 8 years was a Flip-Pac. Factory advertised weight 325 pounds. Actual weight - 425 pounds. Plus Misc gear 35 pounds. For a total of 4100 pounds. The additional 340 pounds makes a slight difference in performance - more time in 4th gear, Truck was always slower on hills (reason 4WC recommends the V6).

In conclusion, if you are considering a camper purchase, decide on the camper first then shop for a truck. We have owned many types of campers/RV's in the last 33 years. You will constantly hear there is no one RV that fits all applications. Purchase the camper/RV that fits 80% your current needs. (when we need creature comforts we stop at a motel for a night or two).

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#43 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

Pretty good advice Jim. Glad to hear you're a "happy camper" :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#44 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

We took delivery of our 2012 Eagle shell May 8th. We ordered some options from the factory and did a little work ourselves to get it where it needed to be. Check out: "2012 Eagle shell amateur buildout" posted June 4th 2012.

95% of our trips are off the grid and we "like" to eat outside so we didn't want the kitchen - just the bed, couch, and basic cooking inside. For safe cooking we use a two burner hotplate, a 15amp inverter, and 110 volt extension cord at KOA's when traveling stste to state.

Camper weight is 840 pounds with options. Performance with our 4WD 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder is ok on the flat, and slow on the hills. Do-able until we save enough to purchase a new to us 2006 Toy Tundra access cab v8 4WD (we are retired living on a fixed income).

We haven't camped offroad in the desert yet because it is too hot (120* summer temp). Everything works on the camper. One concern we had in the beggining was the thickness of the mattress - support. So Far type of foam FWC uses is as good as the HR 41 we used in our old Flip Pac which only had a 3"thick mattress.

We will update this post after we return from our fall trip to the Saline Valley hot springs in North Death Valley -35 miles very bad wash board roads.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#45 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

I must say - I have been in contact with FWC a number of times over the past couple of weeks asking questions to both Stan and Terry. Both were phenomenal to deal with. Both were patient as I was not well versed in the topic we were speaking about. When they did not have the answer they pointed me in the right direction. Much of our correspondence was over the phone and e-mails. They certainly deserve a 10 out 10 Rating. Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users