#11 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

I like all the ideas here on how to purchase a used trauck camper and wish I added these to my research before I bought my FWC Fleep model last December.  I was lucky, the guy I bought it from was upstanding and a genuinely nice guy who had kept the unit in pristine condition and it was loaded with practically every option available for a '15 Fleet you could ask for.

The one thing I would add for this thread was the reality I had of paying a person I did not know at all who lived 1250 miles away a very large sum of money.  So I made sure to get a Cashier's check in the amount we agreed on and set off on driving from Northern California (South Bay Area, San Jose) to a city near Denver, Colorado.  Luckily, I was familiar with driving in the snow as it was the dead of winter.  The thing I worried about the whole way there was, what if this was some sort of scam and I would drive all that way and the guy would meet me with 3 thugs and rob me blind.  Or take my check and not give me a camper at all.  Who is to know.  So after scoring the rig from a super nice guy, I started thinking of a better way to keep myself and others from this problem.  Unfortunately, buying expensive items from private parties is not entirely safe anymore.  Cities near here actually now give you an option of doing Craigslist transactions right in front of the police stations.  But that would not have helped me.  So, I realized that the best way to do a deal like this in the future was to agree to a price by phone.  Tell the seller that I would like to come to where the item is and either at his own bank/credit union or one I could find close by if he doesn't want to do that, to come there, meet him at the bank of his choice and give the cashier's check to the manager or representative of the place.  Allow them to verify that the funds are in my account to cover the check to alleviate their concerns that the check could be fraudulent, and then leave the check with the bank as we both go do the transaction.  Once finished, the seller could then meet me back at the bank and I could then sign the check.  They could then either take the check or have it deposited into their account.  By telling the seller this is the best way to do the deal for both of us on the original phone call, it will insure a safe and fair completion.  It will also deter thieves and crooks immediately because as soon as they think they have to meet you at a bank and the security it will provide, they will not want to continue the deal and look for someone else to rip off.  Hope this helps buying and selling large ticket items of any nature.  This was not an eBay or Amazon transaction after all.  When I was a Loan Officer when people would purchase a home, the money that was deposited would be called, "Held in escrow".  It's the same idea.

Edited by Sharx, 08 July 2017 - 02:53 AM.

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

I had a similar situation when buying a boat. The seller was as concerned as I with a Craigslist transaction. I had him tow the boat to a branch of my credit union where I inspected the boat to ensure it was the same one as I had seen earlier. I then withdrew the money and he signed over titles and we had the credit union notarize the papers. We both left happy.

Sad that such a good tool for buyer & seller to find each other involves such risks.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 Karmak

Karmak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

Good advice. 

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

Interesting, Craig's List publishes not accepting cashier's checks. Read there published security section when you post. I placed a small AC unit on Craig's List and within minutes I got texts from out of state, misspelled words wanting send a cashier's check and have a mover pick-up the item. Cashier's checks aren't safe.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:47 PM

I had a similar situation when buying a boat. The seller was as concerned as I with a Craigslist transaction. I had him tow the boat to a branch of my credit union where I inspected the boat to ensure it was the same one as I had seen earlier. I then withdrew the money and he signed over titles and we had the credit union notarize the papers. We both left happy.
Sad that such a good tool for buyer & seller to find each other involves such risks.
Paul

When I sold my Grandby, I spoke directly with the buyers financial institution, a Utah Savings and loan. They confirmed the funds were genuine. Yes, it’s sad that there are so many thieves and scammers out there.

I am haunted by waters

#16 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:41 PM

Over the years of selling used boats for customers I have used wire transfers. I have the customer arrange with their bank to have the funds ready to transfer if they decide to buy the boat and when that decision is made they call their bank and OK the transfer to my account. When my bank calls to tell me the transfer is complete I can give the buyer the title and know the funds are secure. hope this helps, Bigfoot Dave

#17 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

After searching for a very long time, I finally bought a used 2001 Grandby camper...here are my thoughts..
Camper came equipped with an ice box...after taking it on a 3000 mi trip, i found that block ice has gone the way of the dodo and placing 7lb bags in the tray, water would seep along the bag, bypassing the tray and leak onto the floor. So be prepared for replacing with a fridge unit which is obviously an expense in batteries and solar
If the lift panels need to be replaced, that is a $1000 bill if you cannot craft your own.
The older 2pc pedestal couch unit is a poor design and wrestling with the cushions to access the limited storage gets old very quickly. Mine will be redesigned.
Getting in and out through the small door can by a little awkward for anyone with ailments, same with operating the lift panels. It is not too bad and some items can be bought to make it easier but your physical abilities should be a consideration. Try to find a camper to test to see if it will work for you before beginning your search.
I realize that it sounds like I am complaining, which I am, but the moral is if you can afford it, buy new. If you cannot afford new, be prepared to spend possibly a significant amount of money after the fact on an older camper. This is especially important to consider if funds are tight. Hopefully you won't have to spend a bunch but it is likely. And don't be afraid to buy a used or new shell model and outfit it yourself.
Bottom line, I have no regrets, still would have bought my camper and look forward to fixing the little stuff and redesigning the interior to fit my needs...and I expected to spend money after the fact, will be spending more than I planned but will enjoy making it mine...

#18 Sourdough Jack

Sourdough Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWestern US

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:03 AM

With peer to peer payment rails such as Venmo, it would seem that all the fuss and distrust of cashier's checks and juggling pre approved payments between banks (9-5, M-F only) would be a thing of the past. Prior to purchase, have both parties download Venmo (or similar app) and at time of sale, transfer funds on the spot, in real time, safe and sane.

my .02

#19 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:35 PM

Being a retired skinflint on fixed income, I HAD to buy my FWC used. Reading this forum, I read many posts mentioning their used FWC became a multiyear project. After driving half a continent to buy, they found the product was DEFINITELY not as advertised, but decided to go for it anyway. Ouch!

I included in my searches FWC dealers. I bought my used Fleet from the Arvada, CO dealer. It was as advertised, very clean & 2 years old. Buying in-house has many advantages & I'm glad I did. When I showed my "new" used camper to the Jackson Hole FWC dealer, after hearing what I paid, Denny said, "You stole it." He was right... I could sell it tomorrow for what I paid, given the high demand for FWC.

My advice... Unlike boats and airplanes, there are no professional surveyors of campers. Don't forget to search used inventory every FWC dealer occasionally posts. 

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#20 Castcrystal

Castcrystal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

I have been searching for a used fleet camper for a year now. A little hard finding one in my price range as an artist. But at one point I saw one that seemed like a promising deal. I actually called the company to ask if they thought that specific camper might have any issues and got some really interesting advice. The man I talked to said the year 2000 models were incredibly problematic. The company had just gone through big buyout and shift and how they manufactured things, and he said that for some reason quality fell through the cracks that year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users