36 replies to this topic

#11 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I gotta say here that i would never have bought any type of porta potti, the concept never appealed to me and i have always been a dig a hole and burn the paper kind of guy. That said, my Hawk came with a Thetford 135 (the El Cheapo model) and it sat in the garage for the first year.

Many of the places I like to go to in Baja to surf, although remote, are not always unpopulated. Some of these places have serious issues with human waste. Anyway, a couple of years ago I decided lug it along for convenience and to do my part in not exacerbating the problem and I must say i was surprised. I'm not too keen on the thought of dragging my deuces around with me, especially where i sleep. That said I've only used it a half dozen times but so far it has never leaked and i have never detected an unpleasant odor. And the roads that lead to these places are some of the worst.

Anyway, i'm not advocating for or against porta potti's, just stating my experience. The WAG bag concept really appeals to me but for now i think i'll continue to use my Thetford out of convenience when i venture into these sensitive places. They seem to work and it appears they know what they are doing in this field. Hope it doesn't prove me wrong!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

Yeah, never had a leakage problem with mine either.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:16 AM

I've never had my porta potti leak either. I also have a Pett toilet with the waag bags. I use the porta potti for long stays (a week or more)....and I use the Pett toilet for short trips (a couple of days). It's the best of both worlds.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#14 InspectorLance

InspectorLance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSeattle WA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

For the type of traveling I do, the the porta potti is the perfect solution for late nite or emergencys. I dont think many would appreciate a person with thier pants down squating on a pad. Thats for the outback and desert camping.

I want to know what make and model fits under the seat of a newer Grandby ? Yes, I want the short uncomfortable one that everyone hates. It fits nice, tucks away, and only pull out when really needed.

Thanks you

Lance

#15 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

For the type of traveling I do, the the porta potti is the perfect solution for late nite or emergencys. I dont think many would appreciate a person with thier pants down squating on a pad. Thats for the outback and desert camping.

I want to know what make and model fits under the seat of a newer Grandby ? Yes, I want the short uncomfortable one that everyone hates. It fits nice, tucks away, and only pull out when really needed.

Thanks you

Lance

I had old Thetford 135, just bought 2010 Hawk. I wanted new porta potti. Found Flamma BI-POT 34, just fits into space for porta potti in Hawk, had to cut off front boult holding couch at nut. Got it for $79 with free shiping special from JC Whitney. Holding tank on Flamma BI-PORT 34 is at 1/3 gallon more than Thetford 135. In real life practical use more than that.

Attached Thumbnails

• P7130882_edited-2.jpg
  • P7130883.jpg
  • P7130885.jpg

Edited by HiCap, 15 July 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#16 InspectorLance

InspectorLance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSeattle WA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

Thank you. That is exactly the info I needed.

#17 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

I can attest to the fact that these things seal very well. If you're going from low altitude to high altitude be careful when you open the valve.
Don't ask how I found this out.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#18 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

I use this system (the small Boom Box) for self support river trips and carry it in the camper in areas that have waste carry out requirements. Works fine for occasional use,small and compact, lightweight.

http://www.eco-safe.net/

Dsrtrat

#19 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

I can attest to the fact that these things seal very well. If you're going from low altitude to high altitude be careful when you open the valve.
Don't ask how I found this out.

We know how you know. :o Since most of our trips start at sea level and are into higher elevations, we now put a post-it note on the lid when we leave - "Open flush valve before lifting lid".

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:55 AM

Speaking of things to avoid, don't let large groups use it even if you strenuously mention to be sure and let you know if the guage gets in the red.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users