• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Gauge in Red? What model is this? I have grand kids that tent camp while out with us a lot. They use the potty in our Hawk... a lot ;) I would really like a gauge or something besides me sloshing it to see how full. We pull camp most nights and have access to unload but not always the case. I searched this post because I'm looking to replace my Camco that I purchased day I brought Hawk home in 2015. Open to recommendations... wish I'd got a model with the cartridge potty.

#22 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

^ We have a Thetford 260P. It has a simple level gauge (green to red) and piston flush pump. We store it just inside the entrance door in front of the "closet" similar to pic in post #4 and 15. It is smallish, well made, easy to clean and seals well. Best gear for the camper we've bought.

http://www.defender....4292&id=1951410

#23 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

Thetford 365 in our Grandby shell for almost 6 years, two big thumbs up on its performance.  We added webbing straps that hold the porta-potti securely against the camper so that it cannot tip over (but all bets are off if the camper tips over).

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#24 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Thetford Porta Potty Curve has a gauge to let you know when it is time to empty

Edited by longhorn1, 28 June 2017 - 06:23 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#25 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

We have never had any spills. We use it at night and first thing in the morning and then it's put away. However, driving around and all the shaking appears to cause a build-up of gas and we have to open and close before we use it the first it's pulled out. If not pee sprays around inside, on the seat and underside of the cover. Beware. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 28 June 2017 - 11:27 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#26 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

If I can't contain the excrements within a port potti while using it, I sure as hell don't want to be crapping & pissing on a "Target" next to my feet. Those same feet and legs walk right back into my camper.

No problems with my Porta Potti Curve except the battery operated flush pump didn't last long. Replacements are almost as much as the entire toilet, new.   

The only problem I see with Porta Pottis is the need for replacement water when on long stays. I sure wish the FWC's came with a 30 gallon h20 tank.

#27 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

I have been using the PETT WAGG Bag system for the last couple of years and I really like it. A little bit of kitty litter or sand gives you a couple of uses. No leakage - a really simple design makes it very reliable - and "safe" - No water required.

#28 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

^ We have a Thetford 260P. It has a simple level gauge (green to red) and piston flush pump. We store it just inside the entrance door in front of the "closet" similar to pic in post #4 and 15. It is smallish, well made, easy to clean and seals well. Best gear for the camper we've bought.

http://www.defender....4292&id=1951410

i use Tetford 320p

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#29 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

That looks like the model I have.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#30 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

I've found Thetford's Campa Potti XT works best for us.  The 5-gallon holding tank means we don't have to find a dumping facility as often.    But of course it has to fit into the space available.

I believe it's Thetford's budget model as it doesn't have a gauge.  We've had models with a gauge in the past but found we were emptying before the gauge was even registering. 

To reduce the overall weight of the potti for moving it around (and to avoid freeze damage), we don't use the upper tank.  We have a few water bottles with sports tops and find they do a better job of washdown (because you can aim them).  But the trick is to have the just-right place to store them so they're both convenient and won't spill.

We do a couple of things to stretch out the time between dump stations.   If other facilities are available, they take priority.   We also try to use the potti for urination only but it's certainly not an inviolable rule.... especially at night with bigfootses and skunk apes hiding in the bushes just over there.

I also like to have disinfecting towelettes available and use them to clean both the upper and lower portions of the potti after emptying and washing out the holding tank.  And in hot weather, I occasionally do a quick washdown and disinfection of the bowl. 

Emptying the holding tank and cleaning up the potti aren't pleasant tasks.  But once I got my procedure down and gained some experience with various designs of dump facilities, it became a routine, easy job.

Also-- one of the things in dealing with dump stations is the sewer-pipe cap.  Many are designed with a foot-pedal with the assumption that you'll step on that pedal just long enough to insert a sewer hose and then the cap will rest on the hose.  But a porta-potti doesn't have a hose and the spout doesn't work well with the cap in the way.   Often, you'll see a rock nearby and it can be used to keep the cap open.   You'll also typically see a locking flange on the cap.  I've sometimes hooked a bungy-cord hook on that locking flange hole so my wife can hold open the cap while I work.

I'll also mention a potential problem with the potti slide-valve.  Slides sometimes dry out and become more difficult to work.  I had one I couldn't open at all after long storage.  It came loose after soaking for a bit but since then I've occasionally lubricated the slide.  Thetford sells a lubricant for this but also says olive oil will work. I just put a couple of drops of olive oil on when the slide seems to need it.

Here's a photo of the setup we have in the van.... 

(click to enlarge)

PortaPottiVan.jpg

(That combination's a bit too big for the Hawk so we store its Campa Potti and bottles in two different places)

Edited by Old Crow, 01 July 2017 - 03:15 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users