31 replies to this topic

#1 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

I bought a 65 Alaskan camper a couple of months ago. I didn't plan on spending much time or $$ but I am and having a good time doing it. I find myself removing aluminum trim, polishing, painting, new putty tape, new screws, new cushion upholstery, beefed up my 86 F150 with leaf springs, coil over shocks, tires, followed by purchase of a 95 diesel f250. There are some details I can't find answers for. My slider seals are fire hose. Was this original? Windows had pull down roller shades. I've heard they came with drapes? Not too concerned about restoring to original condition. Want to use whats modern and practical. Thanks for your help. Lakewood, Colorado.Pickups.JPG

#2 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

Hl Colo, The roller blinds were original on the Alaskans from that era.I think there was a set of drapes on the lower window between camper and the truck.I am not sure about your fire hose seals, now they use Pirelli rubber that is about 2"to3" wide and about 1/16" thick. On the New Alaskans there are two of these seals one above the other.Good luck on your project.
Kevin.
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#3 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

Thanks Kevin. Your camper looks familiar. They didn't fool with the design much back then. I need to replace the hydraulic jack seals too. Sounds like a challenge to keep fluid from getting all over the place.

#4 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi Colo,my pump was leaking badly when I got my Alaskan, I was going to put a shut off valve between the oil tank and the pump. I had the seals replaced on the jack but I never got round to putting the valve in.Its on my to do list or next time I have a leak.
cheers,
Kevin.
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#5 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

When I rebuilt my 1964 NCO, I purchased a set of rubber o-rings from Bryan at Alaskan Campers. This is a messy job but worth the effort. When I bought my camper it had plastic venetian blinds. I have replaced them with a new set I purchased at Lowe's. Inexpensive and they work great. As to the suspension issue, I installed heavy duty shocks and 10 ply Dayton tires on my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram. It still sags a bit but doesn't track like it used to. The most expensive item in my upgrade was to have the cushions re-upholstered.

Here is a link to some shots of my rebuild: http://groups.yahoo....957133/pic/list

Here are links to some great suppliers I have used:

Alaskan Camper link
This is a link to the manufacturer of our great campers for items like lift seals.
http://www.alaskancamper.com/

Perfect Fit-McDonald, Inc.
A source for the recommended seal material between the upper and bottom camper sections. Go to the website and type in Pirelli and up will come the item.
http://www.perfectfit.com

Vintage Trailer Supply
A great source for those hard to find vintage accessories like replacement window gutters.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

Mike

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#6 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the good info gentlemen. I am going to tackle the hydraulic seal issue soon. Went to yahoo and printed your orig jack info Mike. Will read it over as I prepare for repair. My 65 NCO has the icebox version for the fridge. Any experience with that antique? I like your main valve on hydraulic line Kevin. It would prevent potential jack leaks until pins are set. As for suspension upgrades, spent about $600 US on my f150, (that's what I spent on the camper) took it on one trip. The 302 FI was underpowered for some steep mtn. pass pulls. So I bought a 1995, 7.3 liter, f250 diesel. Kinda stinks and wakes the neighbors but I like the power.

#7 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

My best advice on replacing the hydraulic seals is to remove any rugs, cushions or other absorbent materials from the camper and have lots of paper towels available.

I don't understand the need for an additional valve in the hydraulic system. You mention there is a tank. Is this some type of fluid reserve tank? My system has the jack, copper lines and jacks. No tank.

I removed the icebox and sold it on Craig's List. In fact, as you can see from my pix, I removed the entire cabinet. Much more room now. I use a plastic cooler and store it outside on the ground when camping. Works fine and uses a lot less ice.

I plan to move some of the Alaskan Camper reference materials to this website when I get a chance. Perhaps we should set up some sort of permanent reference section for instructional manuals?

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0446.jpg

#8 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

I don't understand the need for an additional valve in the hydraulic system. You mention there is a tank. Is this some type of fluid reserve tank? My system has the jack, copper lines and jacks. No tank.

Hi Mike and Colo, my jack/pump must be different to yours so I added some pics for you
Cheers. Kevin.

Attached Thumbnails

• tmpphpcIS8cX.jpg
  • tmpphpgGdT4g.jpg
  • tmpphpFWevbw.jpg
  • tmpphpUbRgye.jpg

#9 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Here is a pix of my hydraulic pump. Kind of dirty in the photo (since cleaned up). The jack act as its own reservoir.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Pump.jpg

#10 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

Here is a pix of my hydraulic pump. Kind of dirty in the photo (since cleaned up). The jack act as its own reservoir.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users