Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

#152 oregonfj

oregonfj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

Lol, This forum is beginning to cost me some money.  I love great coffee, so just I had to go out an buy the Aeropress after reading all the comments on here.  I have to admit, it is slick.  I have found that the inverted method brews a near flawless cup, everytime.

The cleanup is probably the biggest selling point.  Too easy.

Steve

#153 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:52 AM

Dragging out this old coffee thread to share.

In my search for an occasional cuo of coffee without shore power (or dragging out the Honda 2000) I was looking for inverters to power my little k-cup type single cup machine.

many of you suggested everything in this thread, so in the process of learning about all of the suggestions I found this k-cup press at cabela's 

https://youtu.be/qABKhFRHQQ4

#154 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:09 AM

I actually have one of those. Unused since I haven't become that desperate for a cup of coffee yet. I actually drink better coffee camping than I do at home.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#155 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

...I actually drink better coffee camping than I do at home.

Me, too...maybe.  I use an Aeropress when camping, but at home I use a Mr. Coffee (mini) automatic drip as my "daily drinker".  So, theoretically at least, my camping coffee should be better than my home brew.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#156 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

I love my aeropress.  I use a melitta when camping (even backpacking!) but the aeropress makes a better cup.  That k-cup version of the aeropress is cool but:

- small amount of coffee per cup

- someone else chose the coffee to put in there... and how old is it?

- can't let the water sit on the coffee. Aeropress is typically only 45 sec or so, but still.

- on the positive side, no mess!

#157 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

Stovetop espresso maker from IKEA. $20. Perfect.

#158 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

Stovetop espresso maker from IKEA. $20. Perfect.

Glad to see someone else has seen the light. Stovetop espresso pot (mine is a Bialetti SS) is truly the best for not only brewing but cleanup is so simple. No filters to buy and dispose plus it is incredibly durable for bouncing around on bad roads. I use a  AeroPress  at home or occasionally the French Press and Melitta based on quantity and speed. But I've been seriously  thinking of getting a larger stovetop Bialetti for home use.

http://www.bialetti....f1usag3dco6sct4

Backpacking or motel life is Starbucks Via territory.

cheers -

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#159 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

I had a Bialetti but I didn't care for the taste of the coffee it produced, plus it wasn't all that easy to clean. Plus side you could get it ready in advance and just heat it up in the morning and have coffee.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#160 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

I had a Bialetti but I didn't care for the taste of the coffee it produced, plus it wasn't all that easy to clean. Plus side you could get it ready in advance and just heat it up in the morning and have coffee.

For flavor my first choice is definitely the Aeropress, it is hard to compare. I just think for truck camping there is too much fiddling and clean up is minimal but still more involved then the Bialetti. I just flip the coffee plug out the door into the sagebrush and give the pot a quick rinse.

For sure the convenience of night before prep is hard to pass up. I often get up early for pre-sunrise photography so I can just turn on the stove while I'm getting dressed/warming the camper then fill up my travel mug or bullet thermos and head out the door.

I pre-grind my locally roasted organic coffee just before a trip so that helps the jump start also.... :blink: 

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users