9 replies to this topic

#1 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the same mod that I am planning to do at the end of the month. I have and 05 Hawk and just acquired a 08 Chev shortbed. Problem is the tailgate opening is rounded a the corners and not a 90 degree angle. I have had to put 2 inches of plywood down to lift up the hawk to set it off of the tailgate opening. Not a big deal but the camper now sits even higher off the bed rail and cab causing a serious wind scoop and it just doesnt look right.

FWC and ATC will cut a notch to make the camper fit. Have any of you had this done before? Success? I just hate to cut into the Hawk but it seems like the only choice.
2007 Chevy K2500HD, Cognito Tie Rod Kit/Pitman Idler Arm Brace, 05 FWC Hawk.

#2 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the same mod that I am planning to do at the end of the month. I have and 05 Hawk and just acquired a 08 Chev shortbed. Problem is the tailgate opening is rounded a the corners and not a 90 degree angle. I have had to put 2 inches of plywood down to lift up the hawk to set it off of the tailgate opening. Not a big deal but the camper now sits even higher off the bed rail and cab causing a serious wind scoop and it just doesnt look right.

FWC and ATC will cut a notch to make the camper fit. Have any of you had this done before? Success? I just hate to cut into the Hawk but it seems like the only choice.

I notched my ATC Panther to fit my 2007 Chevy. Not too hard to do, just takes a bit of courage. Measure carefully and make the cuts, and then make blocks to cover the gaps. I used glue and barbed nails to secure the blocks which are mitered to fit the angles. I have to pull my camper off today and I will take some pictures.You can contact me
me off list if you want more details.
Dsrtrat

#3 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

I notched my ATC Panther to fit my 2007 Chevy. Not too hard to do, just takes a bit of courage. Measure carefully and make the cuts, and then make blocks to cover the gaps. I used glue and barbed nails to secure the blocks which are mitered to fit the angles. I have to pull my camper off today and I will take some pictures.You can contact me
me off list if you want more details.
Dsrtrat

Thanks dsrtrat. I think I m going to leave this project to the professionals.... And an excuse to make the trip up north and do a little exploring around Plumas County when I m done. I went to college in Quincy and havent been back since. It would be nice to go back and see the little town. But a picture of the Hawk would be nice to see what to expect. You have a pic of your truck and hawk mounted? I would like to see how far the camper sits off the bed rail and cab.

#4 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

why would chevrolet do this sort of thing?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#5 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

why would chevrolet do this sort of thing?

My guess is that the radiused corners are stronger than the 90 degree corners.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:19 AM

Big hammer to the bedPosted Image ! Posted Image

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Thanks dsrtrat. I think I m going to leave this project to the professionals.... And an excuse to make the trip up north and do a little exploring around Plumas County when I m done. I went to college in Quincy and havent been back since. It would be nice to go back and see the little town. But a picture of the Hawk would be nice to see what to expect. You have a pic of your truck and hawk mounted? I would like to see how far the camper sits off the bed rail and cab.

Here are a couple of pictures, I would make a jig to insure uniform cuts if I did it again. You have to pull the furnace to do the drivers side. I used small triangular blocks for the sides and a top peice mitered to close the top. It isn't too hard to do just takes some time. I used glue and small barbed nails with a nail gun to secure the blocks in place.
With a bed mat in place and 21 inch high sides on my Panther I have about 1/2 inch clearance above the factory installed rail caps. Perfect fit.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP0029.JPG
  • IMGP0028.JPG

#8 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thank you sir. It doesnt look bad at all. I m headed up to Sacramento in two weeks for the conversion and might add an awning while Im at it. I ll post a pic of how the factory does it as well.

#9 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

Please do post a picture of that. I'm considering a Chevy for my next truck, and would like to see whats involved. What year did they make the change??
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#10 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:40 AM

Digging up old posts for a new Hawk owner. Picking up a 18 Hawk this weekend for my 13 silverado. Did any of these modifications workout? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users