• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:07 AM

What's the troubleshooting procedure for a furnace that won't light? In the two weeks I've owned the camper, it fired once, but not since. I have propane (stove and fridge work), plenty of battery power, fan turns. I don't think I hear the tick-whoosh sound. I remember reading something about a reset? But now I can't find it.
FWC-Owning Human

#2 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:09 AM

What model furnace does yours have?

I went a few rounds with my furnace and have now had the entire furnace out 2x and replaced way too many parts... But it works awesome now!!!
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#3 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

It's the original furnace from 1991, but I can't see "Atwood" or "Suburban" on it anywhere. There is what appears to be a lighter module on top called "HydroFlame". I secretly want it to be broken so I can reclaim that space and use a catalytic heater.
FWC-Owning Human

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

http://bryantrv.com/...flamefurn04.pdf

http://www.fourwh.co...nstructions.pdf

Atwood Hydroflame. Much information at the above links

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

It should be an Atwood Hydro Flame - Probably a 8516-II - at least that is what my '93 has.

If you need parts all the 8500 series use very similar parts. I was able to walk into my local RV place and get an ignitor and circuit board off the shelf.

The first thing I would do is have the circuit board checked by an RV place. I had mine checked at Curtis Trailer in Hillsboro, but any large place should have the test machine, they didn't charge me anything and it only took 2 minutes. You can pop it out of the furnace in just a few minutes. It is only held in by a wing nut. No need to take the entire furnace out or take the camper to the RV place.

I ended up needing a new board and went with a Dinosaur brand board made right here in our own Lincoln City. Plugged it in, and the furnace took off like a champ!!

If you open the outside door it 'should' have the instructions, model info and circuit layout on the inside.

Good luck!

If you need an extra ignitor, I'm pretty sure I have a spare that works....

#6 Rob~

Rob~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHardy Creek, Mt.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

Perhaps a dumb question but why is it specified the thermostat be at it's lowest setting on start up? If it's warmer than say 50 degrees which I think is the lowest setting nothing should happen even if everything works, correct? I'm having the same issue, fan blows but no ignition. I'm going to start with getting the board tested as indicated above. Mine is an Atwood 8516-IV. It appears the combustion area is sealed for the lack of a better word. If it were clogged with debris not sure how I'd see it or access it?

#7 snow

snow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

I was having the same trouble with mine. I would turn on the thermostat and the fan would kick on but I never got the click, click, click from the ignighter. The fan would cycle three times and each time the burner would not light. I thought for sure the circuit board got damaged from my last trip with the camper it was really dusty where we were and every part of the camper was coated with it. I gave up and took it in to a repair shop. It ended up being a bad thermostat.
What's silly is I ruled out the thermostat because the fan would kick on. I thought it was fine.
Lesson learned...start with the thermostat. ;)
snow

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

I was having the same trouble with mine. I would turn on the thermostat and the fan would kick on but I never got the click, click, click from the ignighter. The fan would cycle three times and each time the burner would not light. I thought for sure the circuit board got damaged from my last trip with the camper it was really dusty where we were and every part of the camper was coated with it. I gave up and took it in to a repair shop. It ended up being a bad thermostat.
What's silly is I ruled out the thermostat because the fan would kick on. I thought it was fine.
Lesson learned...start with the thermostat. ;)
snow

FWIW: My furnace does this once in a while, but it only does this when the battery charge is relatively low...like there's not quite enough juice to do the sparking -- and yet there's enough to run the fan (but I can tell from the sound that the fan is running slower than normal).

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Perhaps a dumb question but why is it specified the thermostat be at it's lowest setting on start up? If it's warmer than say 50 degrees which I think is the lowest setting nothing should happen even if everything works, correct? I'm having the same issue, fan blows but no ignition. I'm going to start with getting the board tested as indicated above. Mine is an Atwood 8516-IV. It appears the combustion area is sealed for the lack of a better word. If it were clogged with debris not sure how I'd see it or access it?

I say it shouldn't matter where you set it-- the thermostat sends a signal as a relay (12v on or off) and not a rheostat/potentiometer (variable resistance based on the setting) to the furnace. If you didn't care about temp settings you could run the furnace with an on/off switch.

#10 snow

snow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

FWIW: My furnace does this once in a while, but it only does this when the battery charge is relatively low...like there's not quite enough juice to do the sparking -- and yet there's enough to run the fan (but I can tell from the sound that the fan is running slower than normal).

When it first started I thought the same thing. So when I got a chance I plugged it into shore power and it made no difference. The circuit board led was no help, it just stayed on solid. No flashes, blinks, or S.O.S. signals to be helpful.

Well I do have a spare board now. :D It's always good to have a spare tucked away just in case. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users