21 replies to this topic

#11 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:43 AM

I don't know either ?

Our dealer from Canada is down visiting right now.

He said most RVs in Europe use Butane for the stove, not propane.

So it must be ok to use indoors.

I think the information I got awhile back was wrong.

He has a newer VW Camper Van over there (maybe a 2004 pop-up model) and I think he said it has a butane stove in it.

Guess I learned something.

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#12 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

But...what is the difference? I have a Coleman portable propane stove and the systems and burners and flame don't look significantly different than what's built into my FWC. In what way is a "portable" propane stove different from a built in one, and what about that difference makes it unsafe for indoor use while a "built in" is safe?

I don't know what the facts are, so I'm not in a position to say one way or the other -- I'm asking. Posted Image

Does anyone know -- for sure -- why a Coleman propane stove (for example) shouldn't be used indoors (if that's true)?
--------------

It has to do with the physical connection of the stove.
A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV. So a portable stove needs to be connected to a bottle and therefore a potential leak could develop.

The portable butane stove has a cartridge which eliminated the connection.

#13 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Semi- off topic, but might help nevertheless...

I tried to connect my *outdoor* Coleman Stove to my regulated propane line in the camper with a hose by eliminating the little regulator that screws into the little bottle. The stove would sort of light, but I couldn't get anything more than a sputtering flame. Apparently, the Coleman stove wants higher gas pressure than the cook top in the camper.

I was able to modify my old Little Buddy heater this way to run off the camper's regulated LPG, so there might be something important about regulated pressure for 'inside' LPG appliances?

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

It has to do with the physical connection of the stove.
A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV. So a portable stove needs to be connected to a bottle and therefore a potential leak could develop.

The portable butane stove has a cartridge which eliminated the connection.

Don't doubt you on this but I guess a leak could develop anywhere. I'm in the process of setting up a quick disconnect for my Wave 3 for in my trailer :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV.

Really? I didn't know that... Posted Image

But still...propane pressure downstream of the pressure regulator (which is just a few inches downstream from my tank) is so very low, 0.4psi (11" w.c.), that it's not that challenging to keep it inside what it's supposed to be inside, compared to, say, shop compressed air (at > 100psi).

I'm in the process of setting up a quick disconnect for my Wave 3 for in my trailer :o

I, too, included a quick disconnect to in my Wave-to-camper-propane-system...but I also included a shut-off valve just upstream of the the quick-disconnect: belt-and-suspenders. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

I, too, included a quick disconnect to in my Wave-to-camper-propane-system...but I also included a shut-off valve just upstream of the the quick-disconnect: belt-and-suspenders. Posted Image

I got a valve as well :) I am also re-doing the Wave set up in my FWC. I had it on flexible propane line but I learned that stuff isn't supposed to be flex repeatedly so I have new and better hose!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#17 DGS

DGS

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorth of Houston, Texas

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

But...what is the difference? I have a Coleman portable propane stove and the systems and burners and flame don't look significantly different than what's built into my FWC. In what way is a "portable" propane stove different from a built in one, and what about that difference makes it unsafe for indoor use while a "built in" is safe?

I don't know what the facts are, so I'm not in a position to say one way or the other -- I'm asking. Posted Image

Does anyone know -- for sure -- why a Coleman propane stove (for example) shouldn't be used indoors (if that's true)?
--------------
Update: OK, I found a CO and Propane link...which doesn't saying anything about outdoor/indoor, but it gives some good facts about propane combustion and carbon monoxide.

From what I've now read, it looks like the main reason butane is used for portable catering stoves is that you don't need a heavy-walled tank/cartridge because liquid butane in a tank is at lower pressure than liquid propane.
Propane isn't actually any more toxic than butane. The reason why we worry about a gas leak (besides explosion) is that the gas displaces the oxygen from the room, so we suffocate...but not because the gas poisons us.

In reading various posts/articles on the web in the past hour about portable-propane-stove-indoors I saw lots of "warning" posts about "don't do it -- CO!", and I also read posts from people who said "it's fine if you have enough ventilation".
But...ventilation is "required" for use of the built-in propane stove in the FWC -- it says so right inside the cover, so I don't see how that's any different than requiring ventilation for a portable propane stove.
Posted Image

Thanks for the into. It is one of the best explanations about the difference.

#18 TACODOC

TACODOC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMurrieta, CA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for the into. It is one of the best explanations about the difference.

I use the Snow Peak Baja burner in my FlipPac, uses iso-butane and works great
4WD Toyota Tech and Overland Adventures: TACODOC.COM

#19 JBahr

JBahr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV.

I'm curious where you got this information from as tent trailers and travel trailers have been using quick disconnects for years and still do.

Jason Bahr  "Former" Design Engineer Four Wheel Campers, Inc.

#20 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'm curious where you got this information from as tent trailers and travel trailers have been using quick disconnects for years and still do.

Are they 'inside' the units though?
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users