29 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

I do not see one of these heaters in this ultimate furnace thread.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  It seems that this could be much safer than an Olympic heater, does not require ventilation, and does not cause condensation on the walls inside the living space.  I'd love to hear any input anyone has before I pursue the purchase of this heater any further.

It does require ventilation.  This is from their product pages;

Safety System:........................Power exhaust venting removes 100% of combustion by-products. Automatic Safety Shut-off Safety System:........................Power exhaust venting removes 100% of combustion by-products. Automatic Safety Shut-off in case of malfunction. No open windows are required. Operates safely at altitudes above 5000 ft. 

Vent Kit...................................Vent kits have all necessary installation hardware included for most common installations. Includes 3 foot length (1 1/2" I.D.) flexible exhaust hose, exhaust vent terminal, remote wall thermostat, mounting screws, and easy-to-follow installation instructions. Chose between an exhaust thru-fitting , a sidewall exhaust terminal, or a stainless steel scoop exhaust terminal.

case of malfunction. No open windows are required. Operates safely at altitudes above 5000 ft. 

Vent Kit...................................Vent kits have all necessary installation hardware included for most common installations. Includes 3 foot length (1 1/2" I.D.) flexible exhaust hose, exhaust vent terminal, remote wall thermostat, mounting screws, and easy-to-follow installation instructions. Chose between an exhaust thru-fitting , a sidewall exhaust terminal, or a stainless steel scoop exhaust terminal.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 thepartyhound

thepartyhound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Sure, but the intake and exhaust vents are hoses.  This unit does not require you to open windows as other non-vented heaters do.

It does require ventilation.  This is from their product pages;

Safety System:........................Power exhaust venting removes 100% of combustion by-products. Automatic Safety Shut-off Safety System:........................Power exhaust venting removes 100% of combustion by-products. Automatic Safety Shut-off in case of malfunction. No open windows are required. Operates safely at altitudes above 5000 ft. 

case of malfunction. No open windows are required. Operates safely at altitudes above 5000 ft. 

#13 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

My posting is a bit late.  If anyone is still interested:

I note in the post that the hose length is stated as 3ft.  If these units are anything like the new Propex units. Both the exhaust and intake hoses are long and can not be cut down to fit in a small space or they malfunction.  Don't know why.  If this is the case then 3 feet is a bit to snake around inside the camper or a pretty long pig tail outside.

While not mentioned on this forum, people describe/discuss using them a bit over at Expedition Portal and RV.Net.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#14 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Has anyone installed a Propex? They have a new quiet version, I would love to try after trying to sleep with the on off of the heat/cold and Attwood fan.

#15 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have the HS 2800 previously installed in my Flippac and am in the process of installing it in the Fleet.

I am very happy with it after the initial hit to the wallet. 

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#16 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

I just read about the HS 2800, wow it sound great. But it is expensive. 

#17 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Maybe for Northern and mountain folks that use the heater a lot it could be worth it. A little cheaper here,

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

If it is more efficient and quiet, it might be the ticket. I have a friend with one in his broken down westfalia(always working on it), I'll ask him about it.

#18 mountainsun

mountainsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I just picked up a used LiteCraft camper and have it installed on my long bed Tacoma. The furnace is an Atwood / Hydro Flame and is not currently running. 

In reading the forums and researching on how to troubleshoot it, it seems like once I got it up and running they are very finnicky. 

I'm considering removing and replacing with a Olympian Wave 3. I live in Denver and will be camping above 6,500' most of the time.

There are Pro's/Cons with each type of heater I realize, but I'm leaning towards the Wave.

I like the simplicity of it, and do not mind leaving windows open for ventilation. 

I don't like the fact that it has no thermostat connected to it and that is a feature of the Hydro Flame furnace.

I'm just wondering if the Wave heater will be too warm on it's lowest setting, in my 10' camper?

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

I just picked up a used LiteCraft camper and have it installed on my long bed Tacoma. The furnace is an Atwood / Hydro Flame and is not currently running. 

In reading the forums and researching on how to troubleshoot it, it seems like once I got it up and running they are very finnicky. 

I'm considering removing and replacing with a Olympian Wave 3. I live in Denver and will be camping above 6,500' most of the time.

There are Pro's/Cons with each type of heater I realize, but I'm leaning towards the Wave.

I like the simplicity of it, and do not mind leaving windows open for ventilation. 

I don't like the fact that it has no thermostat connected to it and that is a feature of the Hydro Flame furnace.

I'm just wondering if the Wave heater will be too warm on it's lowest setting, in my 10' camper?

No, it won't be too warm.  The only situation in which it might be too warm is if you're using it when you don't need a heater at all...and even then, you can always just open your ventilation more.

I have a Wave 6 in my FWC Hawk (I camp in the Great Basin in winter), so a Wave 3 in a full-size camper will be fine.

Though there have been a few posts recently with forced-air furnace problems, they're really not that bad.  My experience has been that an occasional problem is insufficient battery power to run the fan fast enough to close the sail switch to let the furnace run...but even that issue isn't common.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#20 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:36 PM

Here are some links about Diesel Heaters (dry heated air vs lots of water vapor in propane heater air - which leads to condensation).

Edit:  Clarification - vented propane heaters use a sealed combustion/burner chamber and the moist air from propane combustion is vented outside.

(Propane ranges do however produce water vapor which leads to condensation.)

https://www.warmda.c...diesel-heaters/

https://www.vvkb.com...-diesel-heater/

https://www.parkedin...ebasto-heaters/

The following multi part series on the many Chinese knockoffs of the Elerspacher and Webasto heaters is very informative:

https://youtu.be/tvwmU_CcmGI

Edited by ckent323, 19 August 2020 - 08:08 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users